Jameela Jamil

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Shes ferocious and so defensive. I personally feel like she hitched on the anti diet bandwagon and to give her some sort of platform as being an actress/presenter is not good enough for the cv these days you also need to be an activist and have a strong social media presence. Anyway I feel like all the good points shes ever made about being against diets weight loss products and calling out bs influencers was all said by carbytobarbie first and far more eloquently lol.

Reactions: 6
Shes ferocious and so defensive. I personally feel like she hitched on the anti diet bandwagon and to give her some sort of platform as being an actress/presenter is not good enough for the cv these days you also need to be an activist and have a strong social media presence. Anyway I feel like all the good points shes ever made about being against diets weight loss products and calling out bs influencers was all said by carbytobarbie first and far more eloquently lol.
It's a real shame as I liked her in The Good Place but it has honestly put me off.

Reactions: 3
I cannot be the only person really pissed off about her response to the criticisms of her being a judge on a show about voguing?

Reactions: 5
I think she would do or say anything.. like literally anything to stay relevant. She bores the tit out of me 😴

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I cannot be the only person really pissed off about her response to the criticisms of her being a judge on a show about voguing?
I am a bit confused about the whole thing and what actually went on,I see she came out as queer off the back of it-can someone summarise for me? Regardless,I cannot stand this woman and her faux ‘wokeness’ on everything-her getting her role on the good place has only further increased her ego. Beautiful Girl but everything else about her is ugly to me

Reactions: 8
I am a bit confused about the whole thing and what actually went on,I see she came out as queer off the back of it-can someone summarise for me? Regardless,I cannot stand this woman and her faux ‘wokeness’ on everything-her getting her role on the good place has only further increased her ego. Beautiful Girl but everything else about her is ugly to me
Basically she was announced as the judge on a new dancing competition that takes dancers who participate in ball culture- a historically American LGBT subculture (so where Voguing came from before Madonna stole it) with roots in black/latino LGBT history. Jamil was announced as a judge and when people (rightly) criticised this choice- what does she know about a black and latino american subculture?- she then came out as queer to change the narrative and deflect criticism of the choice and make it out like she's been bullied into "coming out".

• Angry
Reactions: 13
I’m not being rude but what does queer mean? I thought everyone took offence to that word?

Reactions: 5
I’m not being rude but what does queer mean? I thought everyone took offence to that word?
Queer is an umbrella term for LGBT people, not all of us like the use of it though so. Queer in this context could also literally mean anything, she hasn't been specific at all as to HOW she is queer.

Reactions: 9
Queer is an umbrella term for LGBT people, not all of us like the use of it though so. Queer in this context could also literally mean anything, she hasn't been specific at all as to HOW she is queer.
That’s what I have issue with. She’s been portraying a hetero-normative persona her whole career. It’s seems like she’s changing her narrative because of the show.
I had to un follow a few ‘wokies’ because all of a sudden they are queer. I believe that we’re all on a spectrum. I’ve deffo had leanings towards the ladies to some points. However, I think for me as a straight woman to claim queerness reeks of privilege. For her as a woman in a straight relationship to claim queerness just doesn’t sit well. You can be an ally without having to claim a bit of a culture for yourself. Look at Michelle Visage.
I just find her tedious.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
That’s what I have issue with. She’s been portraying a hetero-normative persona her whole career. It’s seems like she’s changing her narrative because of the show.
I had to un follow a few ‘wokies’ because all of a sudden they are queer. I believe that we’re all on a spectrum. I’ve deffo had leanings towards the ladies to some points. However, I think for me as a straight woman to claim queerness reeks of privilege. For her as a woman in a straight relationship to claim queerness just doesn’t sit well. You can be an ally without having to claim a bit of a culture for yourself. Look at Michelle Visage.
I just find her tedious.
Michelle Visage would've been a better judge for the show seeing as she was actually there at the time tbh

Reactions: 17
I also find her so self righteous. Even if she is queer, queerness itself doesn’t mean she’s right for the job. She knows nothing of ballroom. I’m a straight woman from The west of Scotland but I’ve watched pose. This witch is better qualified.

Reactions: 13
She constantly sounds like a pretentious sixth-former whos read precisely one book on the subject they're blowing off on. Always acts like she's more in the know than everyone else.

Reactions: 25
I hate the way people announce this stuff now like who you’re willing to shag is the most fascinating thing in the world. No-one cares. Just get on with it!

Jameela comes across as very damaged to me. She’s so aggressive and rude to people who aren’t as woke as she is, yet 5 minutes later will be bleating about mental health.

Reactions: 20
She has been in a relationship with a man since 2015 so I am quite confused. I don't understand the word queer.

Reactions: 4
She has been in a relationship with a man since 2015 so I am quite confused. I don't understand the word queer.
Basically, (I’m a straight ciswoman trying to explain so forgive me if I miss the mark) it’s mean non-normative. So she sees her self as either not being hetro-normative or homo-normative. So she’s sitting somewhere off the general hetero centre of the sexuality spectrum or off the cis centr of the gender spectrum. She hasn’t specified and I think that’s she’s being deliberately ambiguous by using that term.
You can be in a straight relationship and be bi/gay/pan. I think a lot of people problem is playing it straighthas benefitted her, until it hasn’t and now she’s queer.
So many people haven’t been afforded that opportunity. I have no doubt being south Asian and coming out is incredibly difficult because of the culture. But to a lot of people it seems like gay face.
She’s so woke she says we can’t say blinded by, because it’s ableist. Yet she doesn’t acknowledge that queer is still seen as a decisive term lgbtq+ communities.
If she’d come out and said something along the lines of ‘ as a brown queer woman I understand about how important representation is....’

It’s the woe is me, I’m so woke, they hired me because I’m so popular and I’ll bring a massive audience tripe that’s exhausting.
Black, white, brown, gay, straight, trans or pan- she has no right being in that show. She knows nothing about ballroom, it’s culture or origins. Her and Megan the stallion should gtf. Give it to people who actually know it’s wasn’t invented by Madonna.

Reactions: 11
Basically she was announced as the judge on a new dancing competition that takes dancers who participate in ball culture- a historically American LGBT subculture (so where Voguing came from before Madonna stole it) with roots in black/latino LGBT history. Jamil was announced as a judge and when people (rightly) criticised this choice- what does she know about a black and latino american subculture?- she then came out as queer to change the narrative and deflect criticism of the choice and make it out like she's been bullied into "coming out".
Thank you-from the small amount I read this makes sense-it’s almost like she has ‘come out’ so that she can be like ‘Ha,hope you feel bad now’ as if this announcement suddenly makes her entitled. Didn’t Kevin Spacey ‘come out’ in an equally ridiculous way?(not comparing the two as people of course but they both seem to have ‘come out’ as a way to deflect criticism and garner favour in some way).

This annoys me because it’s almost like they think that just because they throw out some connection to the lgbt community they can somehow be forgiven for everything they have done wrong?!

I’m a straight white woman so obviously privileged but if I was part of the lgbt community I would be fuming at her throwing this out there like that,especially when she decided to be incredibly vague about what being queer meant to her. She just seems to have thrown race and sexuality into the mix to get people off her back(and don’t get me wrong,I know people experience genuine struggles as a result of both these things, but she seems to just mention them when it suits her?)
*apologies if that comes off as remotely racist,certainly not my intention at all

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.