Jameela Jamil #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah it’s quite shocking how much hatred fat people get when your body is literally no one else’s business. I wasn’t bashing Lizzo in my response at all, I just am not comfortable being fat and work hard to keep the pounds off. I just don’t appreciate skinny people telling me to eat whatever I want.

I hate that Jameela is always going on about eating cheese and pizzas, it’s such a crock of tit. Either that or supremely unfair that she can eat like that and stay slim.
Yeah this drives me mad, it is basically always thin women who brag about what they eat, if a fat woman did it would not be branded as "aspirational" or in any way positive. I don't believe she does anyway. It is just part of the whole "cool girl" trope

Reactions: 9
Yeah this drives me mad, it is basically always thin women who brag about what they eat, if a fat woman did it would not be branded as "aspirational" or in any way positive. I don't believe she does anyway. It is just part of the whole "cool girl" trope
I'd bet anything JJs eating disorder demons are not remotely in the past. Like fook does she eat the way shed have us believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Obeseity for the most part is a life style choice . I am in no way going to feel sorry for people when I see someone who weighs 300 pounds at Walmart riding around on those scooters and when you look into their cart it's nothing but junk food. Lizzo is an idiot, and this whole body positivity movement is nonsense. Jameela Jamil needs to zip it.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Obeseity for the most part is a life style choice . I am in no way going to feel sorry for people when I see someone who weighs 300 pounds at Walmart riding around on those scooters and when you look into their cart it's nothing but junk food. Lizzo is an idiot, and this whole body positivity movement is nonsense. Jameela Jamil needs to zip it.
Wowzers. There are many reasons that people can be overweight, being an idiot is not one of them. Lack of money, lack of time, lack of knowledge of basic cooking and healthy ingredients, medication causing carb and sugar cravings (for example antipsychotics like olanzapine are known for causing huge weight gain for this reason), self esteem and hatred issues, depression causing a lack of volition to take care of yourself well. Even simply being fed a predominantly highly processed, sugary, carby, food as a kid can make the taste of healthy food disgusting for some people.

Reactions: 29
That's just not true and I wonder why you believe that. And when it comes to Lizzo specifically, I don't know how much you actually know about her, but she's fitter and more athletic than most thin people.

Reactions: 12
That's just not true and I wonder why you believe that. And when it comes to Lizzo specifically, I don't know how much you actually know about her, but she's fitter and more athletic than most thin people.
Genuine question and I'm not trying to be funny or smart but can you explain what you mean by her being fitter and more athletic than most thin people? I don't know a lot about Lizzo but this seems to be an incredibly broad and sweeping statement to make so I'm genuinely interested in the answer

Reactions: 4
Genuine question and I'm not trying to be funny or smart but can you explain what you mean by her being fitter and more athletic than most thin people? I don't know a lot about Lizzo but this seems to be an incredibly broad and sweeping statement to make so I'm genuinely interested in the answer
I think the inference is that she she is fit because does full dance routines and concerts that would be energetic for most fit people

Reactions: 6
I probably shouldn't have used 'most' because I don't know what the actual data is on how many thin people do x amount of cardio and strength training per week or whatever... But Lizzo is known for doing a lot of both (strength training and cardio - mostly skipping and spinning I think - her trainer has an Instagram if you're interested). I know an awful lot of thin people who can't do 10 mins of cardio without getting out of breath and wouldn't be able to lift a 20kg barbell. It's 2020 and feels like it's well past time we stopped perpetuating the idea of thin = healthy and fat = unhealthy/unfit.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I probably shouldn't have used 'most' because I don't know what the actual data is on how many thin people do x amount of cardio and strength training per week or whatever... But Lizzo is known for doing a lot of both (strength training and cardio - mostly skipping and spinning I think - her trainer has an Instagram if you're interested). I know an awful lot of thin people who can't do 10 mins of cardio without getting out of breath and wouldn't be able to lift a 20kg barbell. It's 2020 and feels like it's well past time we stopped perpetuating the idea of thin = healthy and fat = unhealthy/unfit.
I do agree to a point. But, Lizzo is very large by anyone's standards, even to maintain her weight she must eat a huge amount of calories on a daily basis. With the best will in the world this kind of weight maintenance cannot really be done with a diet of fruit, vegetables, wholegrain etc. So, therefore it is not an out there assumption to make that she is eating a high calorie, processed diet. This is not a healthy way to be no matter how strong she is.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I do agree to a point. But, Lizzo is very large by anyone's standards, even to maintain her weight she must eat a huge amount of calories on a daily basis. With the best will in the world this kind of weight maintenance cannot really be done with a diet of fruit, vegetables, wholegrain etc. So, therefore it is not an out there assumption to make that she is eating a high calorie, processed diet. This is not a healthy way to be no matter how strong she is.
She is obviously eating a lot but not necessarily a processed diet. Nuts, avocado, nut butters all are classed as healthy fats but contain mega calories.

Reactions: 2
@cholulamare I agree and I can't stand the tired stereotypes of overweight person= lazy overeater and slim person = starves themselves and under eats. I'm also a strong believer in genetics and body types too, some people are just naturally inclined to a certain body type. Ectomorph, mesomorph, etc

However, I will say that Lizzo is an exception rather than the rule. She's obviously very strong and fit but she is someone who has resources and a trainer etc, more than most average women. It's great that she's comfortable in her skin but it's misleading to say she's an example of someone who is fitter than most. What JJ is doing (based on what people have described) is push Lizzo as a body positive role model and tries to convince women that they shouldn't want to try to lose weight. Of course no one should be shamed for their weight or made to feel like they're horrible but there's nothing wrong with someone wanting to lose weight.

Also, JJ likes to body shame when it suits her. The woman is no feminist

What I'm trying to say, and probably failing, is there's no point comparing the average woman to Lizzo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Obesity is so complex. To believe it’s simply a lifestyle choice is very naive.

It is an issue that predominantly affects lower income areas in a myriad of ways (food deserts, price and shelf life of healthy vs junk food, cost of cooking apparatus and electricity etc). A higher percentage of Black and hispanic people compared to white are obese, so it’s an issue of race, and there are some links between obesity likelihood and education levels, with the less educated being more prone to obesity.

There are also plenty more links like this: for example, young carers are more likely to be obese, and I would highly doubt anyone would happily point a finger at a young carer and call them lazy.

So basically, there is a strong link between inequality in society and those most affected by it, and propensity to being obese. I feel people need to understand this before they make sweeping, ill-advised judgements on those who struggle with their weight.

While I am all for being realistic about the potential and often likely health issues that arise out of being obese and eating a poor diet, lacking in nutrients, I also feel any person who has the money to access not only fresh food but cooking supplies, electricity & gas, and the time to exercise for themselves, particularly in a gym or classes that are paid for, should probably take a look around and realise they’re pretty privileged in the grand scheme of things.

Back to Jameela Jamil, I feel like she’s about 10 years too late on the whole “oh I eat like a pig and stay slim” actress trend. Now they all admit how hard they workout and rarely do the whole “mmm burgers and cupcakes” thing (except Blake Lively). As always, Jameela misses the mark!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
She's on Sofie Hagen's podcast this week, she sounds like such a knob on there, surprised Sofie had her on tbh.
Used to love Sofie, but have gone off her recently because of the problematic people she seems to support, such as Jameela and Stephanie Yeboah (who seems to have gotten off very lightly with horrific anti-Semitic statements).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Used to love Sofie, but have gone off her recently because of the problematic people she seems to support, such as Jameela and Stephanie Yeboah (who seems to have gotten off very lightly with horrific anti-Semitic statements).
I don't know if I'm missing something, but Stephanie Yeboah was on Sofie's podcast over a year ago, and the antisemitism controversy was last month maybe? So I don't think you can really put any blame on her for supporting someone problematic in that instance - it was before she even posted some of the tweets.
As for Stephanie getting off 'very lightly'; she lost her job. Is that not enough of a consequence? She also gave one of the most sincere apologies I've ever read from someone in the public eye, and was working directly with Jewish organisations to educate herself. I'm not sure what else she can do?

Reactions: 4
I don't know if I'm missing something, but Stephanie Yeboah was on Sofie's podcast over a year ago, and the antisemitism controversy was last month maybe? So I don't think you can really put any blame on her for supporting someone problematic in that instance - it was before she even posted some of the tweets.
As for Stephanie getting off 'very lightly'; she lost her job. Is that not enough of a consequence? She also gave one of the most sincere apologies I've ever read from someone in the public eye, and was working directly with Jewish organisations to educate herself. I'm not sure what else she can do?
Fair enough - Sofie last interviewed her towards the end of 2019 and Stephanie's tweets were on Holocaust Memorial day this year, which is at the end of January.

It still doesn't sit well with me that someone can tweet such despicable things and still have over 225k followers. But I digress... Perhaps I should start a SY thread. 🤔

Reactions: 2
This might be a daft question but Jameela Jamil talks a lot about being harrassed by tabloids "when she was fat", when was this supposed to be? I've known of this woman since T4 and have no recollection of her ever being anything but thin? It pains me when she talks to fat women as if their experiences are in any way similar, there's a shared discussion most women can have about body image pressures, dieting etc but if I was 300lbs and Jameela Jamil (who's claim to fame is playing a character where half the punchlines are about how insanely attractive she is) was talking to me about how she's been victimised by the tabloids for being fat I'd walk off.
but like, why do you care how fat someone in walmart is? being fat doesn't remove someone's right to a little courtesy and dignity however they ended up that size.

Reactions: 20
JJ is not a feminist of any sort in my eyes. She supports and praises some women one minute then rips others down another depending on what way she thinks the wind is blowing or what sort of social credit she thinks she is going to get from it. Being Lizzo is amazing but wearing support wear when your pregnant is not???

I don't think women should be immune to criticism just because they are women but JJ continues to contribute to a discussion on womens bodies which is completely unproductive and unnecessary. It completely detracts from legitimate issues that women face everyday.

Reactions: 10
This might be a daft question but Jameela Jamil talks a lot about being harrassed by tabloids "when she was fat", when was this supposed to be? I've known of this woman since T4 and have no recollection of her ever being anything but thin? It pains me when she talks to fat women as if their experiences are in any way similar, there's a shared discussion most women can have about body image pressures, dieting etc but if I was 300lbs and Jameela Jamil (who's claim to fame is playing a character where half the punchlines are about how insanely attractive she is) was talking to me about how she's been victimised by the tabloids for being fat I'd walk off.

but like, why do you care how fat someone in walmart is? being fat doesn't remove someone's right to a little courtesy and dignity however they ended up that size.
yeh she has never been fat, maybe slightly overweight but not anything appraoching fat IMO. This is just another one of her lies to make everything about her, like the whole pregnancy/abortion etc etc. She is incapable of doing anything that doesn't put her in the spotlight. It also makes no sense as people who (in their view) have been "fat" are generally careful with their food intake. they wouldn't be bragging about eating burgers and not exercising

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.