Jameela Jamil #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@cholulamare you're missing my point, whether deliberately or not, I don't know. She isn't an ally to women- my comment was following a post where she was derisive about CZJ and the menopause and being over 40 and how the menopause makes women crazy. That isn't being an ally to women.
Yes, I understand that. I'm not arguing that she *is* an ally to women at all. I was just responding to your comment: "Why is she more concerned with appealing to trans people than she is with being a genuine ally to her own sex?"

As for trans women are women, repeating a meaningless statement over and over again doesn't make it true. Transwomen are transwomen
I don't think I've repeated this once, never mind "over and over again", so I'm not sure where you're getting that from - genuine question? It's not meaningless either; in fact I can't actually think of a more succinct and meaningful way of expressing the same sentiment.

Reactions: 6
Yes, I understand that. I'm not arguing that she *is* an ally to women at all. I was just responding to your comment: "Why is she more concerned with appealing to trans people than she is with being a genuine ally to her own sex?"

I don't think I've repeated this once, never mind "over and over again", so I'm not sure where you're getting that from - genuine question? It's not meaningless either; in fact I can't actually think of a more succinct and meaningful way of expressing the same sentiment.
I presume she meant Jameela or people generally not you specifically.

Lots of people think trans women are trans women and women are women (and reject the label "cis")

Reactions: 13
No one said she could only stick up for "cis" women, I think the point is she is no ally at all to her own sex
Not quite that she could only stick up for cis women no, but the general sentiment was questioning why she should be concerned with being an ally to trans people if she is not an ally to cis women:
Why is she more concerned with appealing to trans people than she is with being a genuine ally to her own sex?
I don't disagree that she is not an ally to cis women, but just wanted to put forward the idea of: why not both? And if she is taking up the space of an LGBTQ+ person on a TV show about a predominantly trans subculture, the least she can do in that position is attempt to be an ally to those communities. I absolutely agree with you about her internalised misogyny.

Lots of people think trans women are trans women and women are women (and reject the label "cis")
That may be the case, but the intended meaning is clear regardless.

Reactions: 3
Not quite that she could only stick up for cis women no, but the general sentiment was questioning why she should be concerned with being an ally to trans people if she is not an ally to cis women:

I don't disagree that she is not an ally to cis women, but just wanted to put forward the idea of: why not both? And if she is taking up the space of an LGBTQ+ person on a TV show about a predominantly trans subculture, the least she can do in that position is attempt to be an ally to those communities. I absolutely agree with you about her internalised misogyny.

That may be the case, but the intended meaning is clear regardless.
She also claimed to be Queer, so that makes her a member of LGBTQ community, but she seems to forget she "came out" and posted during pride a few weeks ago she was ally to a community she claims to be a member of.

She talks so much tit around this stuff she cant even keep up with what she is saying.

Reactions: 13
She’ll hitch her flag to any passing bandwagon that one
100%. There’s no thought behind anything she says, she’s just parroting support because all she cares about is getting cookies and back pats from people on social media.

She has demonstrated time and time again she is incredibly myopic, and has zero ability to think critically. It’s all about how Jameela is percieved, and she’ll happily throw any marginalised group under the bus to justify herself when she puts her foot in it.

I do feel sorry for her in a way. It’s clear her childhood did a number on her. Having said that, I still wish she’d disappear! She’s the most exhausting celebrity out there. I feel for the cast of The Good Place having to deal with her inbetween takes. I’d have insisted on having my headphones on set and listening to music to “stay in character” if it were me!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
@cholulamare It was aimed at TRAs in general- the phrase trans women are women is meaningless as biology and empirical fact will back up. "Feelings" do not override science. Trans women are trans women, hence the prefix. Women are women and we don't need a prefix or "cis".

• Heart
Reactions: 33
@cholulamare It was aimed at TRAs in general- the phrase trans women are women is meaningless as biology and empirical fact will back up. "Feelings" do not override science. Trans women are trans women, hence the prefix. Women are women and we don't need a prefix or "cis".
We're obviously not going to agree, I don't think either one of us is going to change the other's mind, so there's no point derailing the thread unless it pertains directly to Jameela.
She also claimed to be Queer, so that makes her a member of LGBTQ community, but she seems to forget she "came out" and posted during pride a few weeks ago she was ally to a community she claims to be a member of.

She talks so much tit around this stuff she cant even keep up with what she is saying.
Duh, I forgot. Whether she is queer or not, she was not out when she was cast on the show, so it's completely irrelevant.

You can believe what you like, @cholulamare - but we know which one is us has facts and science on our side.

As this pertains directly to Jameela, I'll repeat my point again- she is derisive towards her own sex, that's to say women, with ageist, sexist and ignorant comments about the menopause. She was given a compliment about her skin recently and shoehorned in trans women are women. If only she spent as much time being an actual feminist than she does pandering to the trans community

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
You can believe what you like, @cholulamare - but we know which one is us has facts and science on our side.

As this pertains directly to Jameela, I'll repeat my point again- she is derisive towards her own sex, that's to say women, with ageist, sexist and ignorant comments about the menopause. She was given a compliment about her skin recently and shoehorned in trans women are women. If only she spent as much time being an actual feminist than she does pandering to the trans community
We do - and if I wanted to discuss the facts with you it would be on the Gender Discussions thread.

Again, I don't and didn't disagree with the point you've repeated about her ageist and sexist comments towards cis women.

What she actually said in that instance you mention was, "I believe that trans rights are human rights" - if you have an issue with that, well 🤷‍♀️

ETA clarity

• Heart
You're right, I stand corrected. Apologies. Of course trans rights are human rights and I don't dispute that for a minute. Not sure why it had to be shoehorned into a compliment about her skin though. To re-iterate, it's just a pity she can't be an ally to her own sex- women. To her, it's more important to pander to the trans community, to the point of throwing women under a bus.

Reactions: 20
I think she is an ally to women as long as they are not white or middle aged.
Well I'm not white, but I am middle aged and dont appreciate a vacuous rich girl pontificating about things she has no idea about ( menopause, pregnancy, not being rich enough to afford facecream)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Does anyone know if she went ahead with hosting that drag programme she was getting heat for? I don’t follow her anymore. Or did the perfectly timed ‘I’m queer’ give her a pass and she was then deemed fit to present it? (Sorry I’m a bit behind with this, I try to avoid things she’s in these days).

Does anyone know if she went ahead with hosting that drag programme she was getting heat for? I don’t follow her anymore. Or did the perfectly timed ‘I’m queer’ give her a pass and she was then deemed fit to present it? (Sorry I’m a bit behind with this, I try to avoid things she’s in these days).
It's a ballroom/voguing competition, and yeah she was still on it, but she was moved from the emcee role she was originally supposed to fill (huge lol) to being on the panel due to the backlash from ballroom. Not sure whether her last-gasp coming out was what saved her from being dropped from the show entirely, or whether contracts had already been signed and it just would have been difficult to get rid of her.

It's a ballroom/voguing competition, and yeah she was still on it, but she was moved from the emcee role she was originally supposed to fill (huge lol) to being on the panel due to the backlash from ballroom. Not sure whether her last-gasp coming out was what saved her from being dropped from the show entirely, or whether contracts had already been signed and it just would have been difficult to get rid of her.
I suspect "too difficult to get rid of her". She would have written a lot of tweets about that.

Thank you. The whole thing was a total embarrassment for her. Backlash from the very group she’s always championing.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.