Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Gawd, there are a lot of recipes out there for sardine pate. There is even one in Nigella’s community site which doesn’t use capers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I watched one of the episodes of Jamie’s programme today, I thought it was great and a perfect fit for him. Though before that I watched Saturday Kitchen where they gave her a nod for her larder thing, but also said they are doing something with her soon! She fails to have mentioned that unless I’ve missed it.

Reactions: 4
The padded out tomato sauce was such a good idea. I kept thinking 'well I do that already' but I don't actually - it was just so utterly sensible I thought I did (if that makes sense).

(For anyone that didn't see it he roasted any elderly veg he had lying around - peppers, onions, garlic etc even Jack's dead celery would do - then tipped in a tin of tomatoes and seasoned it and cooked for a few more minutes. Then mashed it up lightly or used a hand blender, or could just use it as it was which I will do. When cool then divide up into freezer bags for portion size and freeze, or I suppose you could use jars and put in the fridge. Add then to stews, pasta or anything really. Also did that thing of rinsing the tin with a bit of water to get every last bit and pad out the sauce further).

As you said he was just quite an inspiration. Jack's stuff just all looks vaguely depressing and food to keep you alive rather than be actually enjoyable. Sort of like my Mum would say - 'if it tastes horrible it's doing you good' (She could use that for her new book title).
Carrots are also good roasted.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Does she actually think she can bully her way into getting an established tv career??

Reactions: 4
I honestly don't see it as bullying. Jamie Oliver is a household name with a cookery empire. Jack Monroe is a loud voice on twitter. I see her as a small yappy dog barking at his heels. I doubt hes particularly bothered if he's even aware at all. When you're famous as long as he has been, your used to public criticism. Jack may see herself as a celebrity not member of 'the public' but I doubt Jamie does.

Reactions: 6
I can’t believe i’m saying this as someone who has long been irritated by Jamie but the way Jack has been singling him out is totally uncalled for.

Jamie more than likely was asked by Channel 4 to do this as he’s had a relationship with them for a long time and even if he approached them who gives a toss?!?!

Breaking news Jack you aren’t even close to being the first person who demonstrated cooking on the cheap and guess what neither is bloody Jamie Oliver !!!

I’m cringing inside for her, she’s coming across so desperate and socially unaware.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I honestly don't see it as bullying. Jamie Oliver is a household name with a cookery empire. Jack Monroe is a loud voice on twitter. I see her as a small yappy dog barking at his heels. I doubt hes particularly bothered if he's even aware at all. When you're famous as long as he has been, your used to public criticism. Jack may see herself as a celebrity not member of 'the public' but I doubt Jamie does.
It is bullying, regardless of the stature of the person on the receiving end or how they may or may not be bothered by it

Reactions: 11
Literally all she is advising people to do on her lockdown larder whatever hour, is to add everything together. What is so revolutionary I don't understand. Her followers are acting like she's inventing 3 course meals from dust.

Reactions: 12
She's got her 250k followers to target Jamie on comment sections and social media platforms all over the internet. Just because jacks is lower profile doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's a disgusting way to behave, she's literally trying to tear someone else down for her own benefit.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
It is bullying, regardless of the stature of the person on the receiving end or how they may or may not be bothered by it
I disagree. Bullying depends on a power dynamic weighted to the bully's favour. Otherwise the words don't have the same impact. If anyone can bully a celebrity you could accuse any twitter troll of that. They are capable of harassment if it goes to an extreme, or trolling as I say but excess criticism that he's unlikely to even see can't be called bullying. How can it if he doesn't know he's being bullied?

This is IN NO WAY meant as a defence. Just look back on the thread to see how much I abhor this person. I don't see it as bullying but I do see it as utterly pathetic and quite desperate. I actually think she wants his attention in a backwards way and is acting out like a kid to get it.

She's got her 250k followers to target Jamie on comment sections and social media platforms all over the internet. Just because jacks is lower profile doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's a disgusting way to behave, she's literally trying to tear someone else down for her own benefit.
Edit - OK I appreciate she has a larger platform than the average twitter troll. But it's nothing compared to the empire Jamie has. From his perspective she's still a nobody. Again I'm in no way defending her. Honestly I don't think she's important enough to be able to bully Jamie Oliver. The way she talks to some people who tweet her on the other hand definitely seems like that...

Reactions: 2
Literally all she is advising people to do on her lockdown larder whatever hour, is to add everything together. What is so revolutionary I don't understand. Her followers are acting like she's inventing 3 course meals from dust.
To add everything together, despite the fact that the result might be inedible, and with no instructions most of the time about how to cook the resulting mess (eg - make a soup from ……….. or make a curry from ………..).
Can't believe people are gullible enough to think that she is actually helping people. On Twitter yesterday she said that she has been eating crisps for all her meals, she is so exhausted trying to help others. What nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
She does add ingredients that they might not have, doesn't that defeat the whole point?

Jack I've got some spaghetti hoops and bread what can I make?
If you've got some cocoa, flour and sugar you can make a banging chocolate cake using banana in place of egg. Now tell me I'm better than Jamie Oliver?!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Carrots are also good roasted.
Also, if you have any fresh vegetables hanging round in the fridge, cut them up into little bite-size pieces all roughly the same size, put them on a baking tray or whatever you use in the oven, sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper and spices or dried herbs if you have, roast in the oven at 180°C or 200°C for about 20 minutes or until everything is soft, mash with the back of a fork and use in pasta, or on sandwiches, in shepherds pie, anything really, delicious and easy using what you’ve got in the fridge

Reactions: 6
I think she stopped pretending to be vegan once the promotion for her vegan cook book ended.
And when the angry vegans came for her for talking about eating meat (I mean, considering how much she banged on about veganism, she was asking for it) she blamed the switch on her failing health 😄

She said a year or so ago she has Ehlers Danlos. It caught my eye as I have a related condition
Ding ding ding! Bet it’s 100% self diagnosed too.

I disagree. Bullying depends on a power dynamic weighted to the bully's favour. Otherwise the words don't have the same impact. If anyone can bully a celebrity you could accuse any twitter troll of that. They are capable of harassment if it goes to an extreme, or trolling as I say but excess criticism that he's unlikely to even see can't be called bullying. How can it if he doesn't know he's being bullied?

This is IN NO WAY meant as a defence. Just look back on the thread to see how much I abhor this person. I don't see it as bullying but I do see it as utterly pathetic and quite desperate. I actually think she wants his attention in a backwards way and is acting out like a kid to get it.

Edit - OK I appreciate she has a larger platform than the average twitter troll. But it's nothing compared to the empire Jamie has. From his perspective she's still a nobody. Again I'm in no way defending her. Honestly I don't think she's important enough to be able to bully Jamie Oliver. The way she talks to some people who tweet her on the other hand definitely seems like that...
Jack is not a Twitter troll with double digit followers, she's a public figure, a verified blue ticker, with a large public platform and she's encouraging a pile on. She's writing articles in the Metro slagging him off. It's bullying behaviour, regardless of her having less of a following than him.

Reactions: 16
Christ, that’s borderline abusive. She was punishing him for wanting to eat meat - by forcing him to pay for it, and hoping to gross him out by making him (unnecessarily) squeeze sausagemeat out of the skins 😧 And then reminding him “Mummy doesn’t eat animals” when he eats jelly sweets? Christ. Hoping it was a made up BS anecdote for attention and brownie points.

• Angry
Reactions: 16
Making an eight year old buy food with their own money because it’s not vegan? And then making them handle raw meat to teach them some sort of weird lesson? bleeping hell.
Again she adopts this superior and self righteous tone, but unlike the post she was asking for credit for the bare minimum, here she actually wants people to be impressed by her horrible parenting.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.