Jack Monroe (bootstrapcook)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really liked Jack in the beginning. Now I just can’t make sense of her living with an executive but still claiming poverty. I mean I understand living with someone wealthy doesn’t make you entitled to just have what they’ve got, but don’t have someone on a huge salary cone to live with you if you can barely scratch together a meal? It doesn’t ring true anymore even without the ‘wife’, because we know how much these people make from ADs and affiliate links etc, that’s without book sales, speaking engagements and guardian articles etc etc etc. The pleading poverty thing doesn’t work anymore. She needs to come at it from a more authentic angle. She could easily say that because she had had very difficult experiences/food poverty, she knows how to manage and make XYZ. She doesn’t have to pretend to still be poor!

Also re: Jamie. Ok so Jamie is a bit much sometimes, it does feel like he’s just always everywhere. But. Channel 4 is a business. Channel 4 has a long standing relationship with Jamie. Lots of people are put at ease with the familiarity of Jamie. What part of any of that does Jack not understand? He’s as ‘authentically’ poor as she is right now, plus there’s no chance of him flaking off or having an embarrassing hissy fit on Twitter.

Reactions: 20
The thing that really gets me is that Jamie Oliver is a chef, with a lot of experience. He's done hundreds, maybe thousands of TV appearances. He knows how to make food, and he knows how to present. He is a brilliant choice for a new cooking show.

This isn't a documentary about being poor, having to survive on pennies a day or anything like that. It's a bloody cookery show to help people during lockdown.

Just because Jack has been poor, and has made a few books about making food from tinned ingredients, it doesn't mean she is a good fit for this new show. As many people have said on here, her presenting style is awkward and makes people feel on edge and uncomfortable. Her recipe ideas do seem to be pretty much "tip these things together and mix".

Although I do believe that experience can be invaluable, the important skill required here is being able to cook and present TV rather than being authentically poor or having a book about tinned produce.

Tinned foods are just ingredients, and to act as though she has more rights to them than Jamie because she used to be poor is odd. The people who have encouraged her should be ashamed of themselves. I am all for helping your pals and giving people a leg up, but you have to be realistic and you certainly shouldn't do it at the expense of others.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Also re: Jamie. Ok so Jamie is a bit much sometimes, it does feel like he’s just always everywhere. But. Channel 4 is a business. Channel 4 has a long standing relationship with Jamie. Lots of people are put at ease with the familiarity of Jamie. What part of any of that does Jack not understand? He’s as ‘authentically’ poor as she is right now, plus there’s no chance of him flaking off or having an embarrassing hissy fit on Twitter.
I really don't know why she picked this bizarre one sided fight with Jamie. It all was of her own making.
Now she is going to be on TV she is no doubt worried she is fair game for the same criticism. Mitigating it by putting out the idea first that any negativity stems from here. I'm afraid she can't dismiss her campaign against him as 'one grumpy tweet'.

I said before I hope it goes well tomorrow for her I really do as people now need help and encouragement.

Reactions: 7
Possible new thread title, check out my originality here guys 😂..... Jack Monroe bootstraptwat

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Thread title suggestion: jack monroe: food cupboard 'star' off the BBC, did you know she invented the chickpea?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
This isn't a documentary about being poor, having to survive on pennies a day or anything like that. It's a bloody cookery show to help people during lockdown
Absolutely this. As I've said before, I know a lot of people are facing really difficult times. But a lot of people are just trapped inside *all bleeping day* and cooking good food is a really lovely escape. I've cooked and baked more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years so I want a cookery programme that covers stuff I probably have in but used in a fun or interesting or elaborate way.

It's all too much as it is, I can't be eating salmon paste on pasta.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Absolutely this. As I've said before, I know a lot of people are facing really difficult times. But a lot of people are just trapped inside *all bleeping day* and cooking good food is a really lovely escape. I've cooked and baked more in the last two weeks than I have in the last two years so I want a cookery programme that covers stuff I probably have in but used in a fun or interesting or elaborate way.

It's all too much as it is, I can't be eating salmon paste on pasta.
Eeewwww salmon paste on pasta I just threw up a little in my mouth.... No matter how desperate I was I wouldn't eat that 🤢😂

• Sick
  • Haha
Thread title suggestion... Jack Monroe: Coconut milk and tinned hoops on the hob, Twitter rant got her a BBC job

I’ve never been much of a fan of Jack. Read a bit of her blog years ago after reading the Hunger post elsewhere and at the time (and I still do) sympathised with her situation. I read some of her recipes on The Guardian which usually got a lot of negative comments and decided her style of cooking just doesn’t appeal to me. The more I read about the things she posts on Twitter the more I dislike her. I’m not much of a Jamie fan either but he’s been on Channel 4 for years. As a last minute cobbled together cooking show for these tit times he’s a safe bet and he’ll draw in the audience. She seems to begrudge his success and she’s only backpedaling now she has a BBC show and she’s worried what will be said about her.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Thread title suggestion:

Jack Monroe: bootstrap claptrap twitter spat prat

• Haha
Reactions: 9
If she's lied about the extent to which she targeted Jamie Oliver and said it was just one tweet it might come back to bite her.

At least now she's got the BBC show she's stopped begging for money. Although she won't be deactivating her patron as she probably feels she's owed money for existing.

Thread suggestion, just keep it simple and make it show up in Google as she'll never dare mention tattle as it's too incriminating:

Jack Monroe #2 bootstrap cook on BBC one's Daily Kitchen Live with Matt Tebbutt
I agree with Yel on this. Keep the title simple so it’ll show up in Google searches. She’s not going to direct people to Tattle herself as it’s too incriminating.

Reactions: 15
Sorry, new to thread so probably already been mentioned, but what happened to her crippling arthritis? How does she do the hours she claims to do, working with her hands constantly and now it’s never mentioned? Same as her alcoholism. Never mentioned having a problem (which, let’s face it, she would not have kept quiet about) then suddenly she makes a huge thing about giving up drink as she’s got a serious drink addiction?? Which again, seems to have been forgotten now she has new things to talk about.

Reactions: 11
"Horrendous online bullying and unimaginable cruelty."

Jamie Oliver can probably relate to this Jack, maybe now you understand why we were so upset by what you did. I'm sorry she feels she's been bullied, I truly am.
Too true.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.