Jack Monroe #98 Thoroughly Naff

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is my favourite part:

Anchoiade, pronounced an-shoy-ard but very quickly, according to a French youtuber with a voice of clipped velvet with a laugh never far behind, was stumbled across on the Instagram feed of my former Daily Kitchen Live colleague, Matt Tebbutt. A passing mention on a restaurant menu, that I scrawled in a notebook, commenting ‘Oh, anchoiade!’ with hearts for eyes, as though I knew what it was. I didn’t, of course, but I loved the word already, and suspected I would love the thing itself.

Her writing is so cringeworthy!

No wonder it takes her so long to write up recipes when she insists on padding them out with so much flowery, unnecessary prose.
It. Is. A. Recipe. Book.

Was she not taught about word redundancy in a sentence? Good grief, if that was intended to be an entertaining and fun introduction to her recipe she missed the mark by a mile. A concise and interesting anecdote I can live with, but not that rambling unnecessary nonsense.

No one wants to wade through a poor imitation of a Mills and Boon before getting to a recipe for fishy eggs. (having said that, I wouldn't want the recipe either)

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Nigella's logged on to twitter to wish Richard E Grant and his wife a happy anniversary but is thus far studiously ignoring the fact she was tagged in the egg recipe.

Nigella doesn't actually know Richard E Grant or his wife. It's a coded distress signal having been implicated in "eggs".

• Haha
Reactions: 68
They scare the life of me 🤣 but I am a right wuss!

My mother had one when I was a kid that she treated as though it would go off like a landmine at any moment - the most animated and elegant I ever saw her was as she leaned over from the safety of the sink to lift the weight with the tip of a carving knife, arabesquing like a small, sweaty ballerina in a cloud of chicken scented steam.

These days, however, pressure cookers come equipped with safety valves and failsafe mechanisms that prevent the lids being opened before the pressure is equalised with the outside world. So they're fine.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I think it would be helpful if you sent out those bleeping postcards mate

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 79
It. Is. A. Recipe. Book.

Was she not taught about word redundancy in a sentence? Good grief, if that was intended to be an entertaining and fun introduction to her recipe she missed the mark by a mile. A concise and interesting anecdote I can live with, but not that rambling unnecessary nonsense.

No one wants to wade through a poor imitation of a Mills and Boon before getting to a recipe for fishy eggs. (having said that, I wouldn't want the recipe either)
She has delusions of Anthony Bourdain except she has no skill for cooking and writes like a 6th Former..

• Haha
Reactions: 46
It. Is. A. Recipe. Book.

Don't want the recipes, neither the prose. This is such a lesbian thing to do, the prose bit. Don't 🔺me, I am a lesbian, too, so expert proof advice coming from me.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Things is jack, you can't write. I love reading nigella, Simon Hopkinson, nigel Slater and ina garten because I enjoy their writing. I was feeling glum last week so I dug out 'How to eat' and it really cheered me up no end.

Jack, your writing however is so overwritten and full of words you don't really understand that it's painful to read and unpleasant (I visualise you having a little note book and a pencil and when you see, or hear a new word you painstakingly copy it down with your tongue sticking out the corner of your mouth for future use).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
I think what we’re witnessing here is Jack’s foray into erotic fiction. Remember the sheer awesome power that the smell and feel of anchovies has on her ovaries.
3D37B4C8-1091-4AC3-8CB5-8E126E257C04.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 70
I think what we’re witnessing here is Jack’s foray into erotic fiction. Remember the sheer awesome power that the smell and feel of anchovies has on her ovaries.
3D37B4C8-1091-4AC3-8CB5-8E126E257C04.jpeg
Is this... is this actually from one of Jack’s books?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.