Jack Monroe #95 The only poverty she works to eradicate is her own

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This disclaimer she’s using doesn’t make sense (colour me shocked). She’s saying here’s my recipes but no one should have to be using them, they’re cheap and that’s a failure on the part of the government. All well & good. However she does choose to use them herself, and she feeds them to her son. She and her son have lived in poverty and been scarred by that experience. The last thing you’d want to do is plunge yourself into a cosplay of it again. For what end? Yes produce the recipe, as a ‘sticking plaster’ for those failed and desperate. But to chooooooooose to eat that way yourself is a mockery of what you’re suggesting the purpose of the recipe is.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
I just saw that creepy cat video. She is SO cringe. Also, ALL THAT HAIR. You big old bushitter. She looks ropey as duck as well, when she cant filter up to the max, like her pictures.
And the giggling, like some French ingenue. Is this special content for her patrons or a teaser for only fans.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
As a small child, we didn’t have enough money for food. We couldn’t afford treats, eating out, etc. My dad would make a fuss and not let us even have a 10p Freddo frog. What we ate at home was very cheap: bread, chips, eggs, tins of soup, fruit etc. The amount was adequate, we were sometimes a bit hungry but not enough to harm us.

I don’t have any trauma from this, it was normal to me. I had much more important things on my mind as a small child than comparing and worrying about food.

I got used to disappointment of never being able to get the toys that I wanted or my friends had, and I think this taught me to not be spoiled, and to value my possessions. I am grateful and if I was ever a rich parent, I would ensure my kids experienced the same.

At secondary school, I was on free school meals (all kids at primary school had a lunchbox). We had to queue up at the beginning of lunch to collect a pink paper ticket. I have no trauma, no one cared and no one was bullied. I’d say at least a third of us were in that ticket queue. It was a non-issue.

My only concerns were that the ticket wasn’t worth much so I couldn’t buy enough food. Also after That Man had his way there was nothing left for us vegetarians to eat.

Later, I went to a private school on a scholarship. I was never bullied about not being rich, because no one actually cared. Thirteen year old girls have much more pressing issues than scrutinising social class!

I never noticed any snobbery, the worst I heard was a very occasional remark about chavs, but kids at my state school (on special measures it was so tit) also occasionally talked about chavs.

I just wanted to give a different perspective to Jack’s melodrama. First world poverty is common and isn’t always traumatising, and also the upper-middle class are human beings, and are capable of interacting normally with other members of the human race.
Sorry to specifically single you out cos there have been a few posts like this, but I don't think stories about poverty not being traumatic are helpful. Great that you appear not to have sustained any lasting damage from your upbringing, but this isn't the case for everyone. There are absolutely stigmas attached to being poor and how much this affects you varies hugely. It doesn't matter whether Jack is lying about her trauma or not; it matters that she is doing actual harm to people that are poor NOW - not by suggesting that there are detrimental effects to poverty (cos of COURSE there are), but by perpetuating the myth that it's easy to scrimp and budget and raise a family on nothing.

Tbh the rosy-tinted nostalgia about a poor-but-loving childhood plays right into the hands of the right wingers who think the war and rationing were bleeping great actually, and spend their days posting weird 'when kids were kids' memes on facebook 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 54
i want to see the lyrics inside those books so badly i reckon i can manifest it and make it happen

• Haha
Reactions: 46
I thought PR Vix might be one of her alts but you couldn’t invent it. Her twitter feed makes me want to lock myself in a cupboard forever.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Maybe they also offer puddle service? What company replaces stuff you lost? 🤪 mackie land is a wonderful place
It’s about as likely as a company sending you an extra sofa by accident and then letting you keep it.
Or a TV company letting you keep a new iPhone.
Right you are, Jack. 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Sorry to you just “know” how to not cut your fingers?! Is that right?! Do you whisper to the blade “Shhhh I’ve got this”?! Hardly anyone cuts themselves through being reckless in the kitchen! It’s a split second slip that can send you right to hospital!
Cut the tip of one finger clean off with one swoop, even with a handguard. And she's lost her guard AND not supervising her 10-year-old? Words fail me.:mad:

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.