Jack Monroe #94 It’s okay Jack, others have taken up the baton

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Seeing MR’s Twitter feed and all the people and businesses in local communities offering to help out has given me the eye wets.

I was going to say JM’s feed has never made me cry but then I remembered Brenda’s bangers. 😭

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 76
The lovely Matt is up in Jack’s niche taste testing meat substitutes.

In other news, it's vegan day on Saturday Kitchen 😂
Laughing at the clips from other programmes they show being the meatiest beef they could possibly find

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Do you use the Oxford comma for letters, emails, and notes?
Or do you not use the Oxford comma because you think it’s archaic, unnecessary and annoying?
😂
I’m so with you on the possessive apostrophes - I blame autocorrect for my blunder this morning 🤣
Oh no. I missed a possessive apostrophe in a previous post!. The shame. What should my penance be? Should I make compost salad bag pesto?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
Have I got this right? She's a self professed anti poverty activist, though I can't think of anything recent or rlevant she's done, the school meals issue is to my mind THE anti poverty campaign that has gained the most widespread recognition and traction in years, but she's too tired to talk about it and instead needs to take a break? Whilst at the same time also working with Marcus Rashford, but in a secret behind the scenes way that she can't tell anyone about?

In all seriousness though, if she is in a dark place mentally, I hope that she does take a proper break to get herself healthy again.
The first bit is a perfect summary I feel 🙃

I agree with your second point, but with a big emphasis on the 'if' part. IF she is unwell, she has my sympathy. But seeing how she often uses her mental illness as a diversionary tactic when she's not got a leg to stand on, I'm currently struggling to believe there's anything wrong with her, and she's just using it as an excuse not to do anything.

Guess what, Jack? We're *all* tired. We're all scared and sad and tired of the mess that this country is in, and the uncertainty of the future. But we're all still doing *something* however small it might be. I bet the business owners who are currently trying to feed children out of their own pockets, whilst MPs suggest they shouldn't receive any more financial aid, are very tired and very stressed. I bet the parents currently trying to feed their kids on a pittance are even more stressed, even more scared, even more hungry because unlike you, Jack, most of them will be prioritising their children - rather than feeding them cheap tit whilst they take the better stuff.

I've seen so many people doing good. There was a bloke who posted in the community page for my little town that he would cook a meal for anyone who needed it, because he doesn't want kids to go hungry. No blame, no questions asked. Not a restaurant owner, just a normal bloke with two kids of his own and a degree of compassion.

You cook more slop than you'll ever eat all the time, Jack, and we know, because we're not bleeping stupid, that much of it will be wasted. As much as I hate to suggest that anyone should be eating your slop, maybe you could be giving it away to someone going hungry in your community? Or is that not public or visible enough for you? *Apparently* you have portions and portions of meals in your freezer, conveniently divided up into little foil packets. Would be so easy to give them away. If they exist, ofc.

I'm sorry, I just don't believe she is struggling. Or that she's taken a Twitter break because of that. I think she just doesn't care. She really doesn't care enough to do anything other than type out the occasional ragey sentence in 240 characters. It does nothing. DO something, Jack, do SOMETHING. You like typing, type out a letter to your MP. Anything is better than nothing at this point.

Her 'we shouldn't have to because we pay taxes' approach is honestly the biggest indication of her toxic mix of laziness and cold heartedness I've seen so far.

She really just doesn't seem to care.

Can I also add this.

I work in a school (triangulate me!) in what is considered an affluent area, dig a bit deeper and its not, loads of zero hour minimum wage contracts etc. As a school we have been giving out gift cards/vouchers for places like tesco, Iceland etc.

If you get one from your local school, or are asked if you would like one, please use it, or say yes. It has been budgeted for.

Look on it another way, its in our interests for pupils to achieve well, and they do much better if they aren't hungry. So you are helping us by having them.

And I love Marcus! Unlike Jack, he has lived the life and totally gets it.

Now duck off, my daughter and her partner are finally getting married today at the third attempt so I won't have time to do much in here for a few hours
Hope it goes well for your daughter 👰❤

• Heart
Reactions: 67
Do you use the Oxford comma for letters, emails, and notes?
Or do you not use the Oxford comma because you think it’s archaic, unnecessary and annoying?
😂
I’m so with you on the possessive apostrophes - I blame autocorrect for my blunder this morning 🤣
I use the Oxford comma on formal emails as I think it can provide clarity.

I can't be doing with these Jonny come lately Oxford comma nay sayers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I use the Oxford comma on formal emails as I think it can provide clarity.

I can't be doing with these Jonny come lately Oxford comma nay sayers.
I have to use it for work.
But when I’m on my own time, I see where the wind takes me. That’s how I get my thrills!

• Haha
Reactions: 53
I’m getting mega Jack schadenfreud watching Saturday Kitchen, she’s going to be fewmin! They weirdly chose not to ask Jack to join in with the vegan chat. Sarah Pascoe is doing a much better job of talking about (vegan) food, and it’s not even her ‘literal job’! Jack’s work husband, Sir Matt of the Forearms, seems to be coping quite well without his cheeky little puppyish partner. Terrible 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 70
Hope everything goes beautifully today @Walkdengirl

http://www.mpsagainstfreeschoolmeals.com/
A little linky for Jackie. Interesting that Rees-Mogg claimed 0. Not surprised that my old MP, the terribly named Goodwill, has claimed well over £51000 😡 though.
Didn't have to even check that my MP was on there 🙄 However I've just checked all the other constituencies in my county, and they all voted against. Utterly sickened. There are some fairly disadvantaged areas in the bigger towns, too. Hardly looking our for their constituents, are they.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Perhaps seeing what MR is doing & that author of the £20ish meals has done will help Jack rethink how she can positively and actively contribute to poverty. It might even make her relevant again in the process.

A very optimistic view, and it would involve a lot of hard work psychologically. She really does need to consider her future options & have a long term plan.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
And a book out soon, if Jack was planning to do - looks like she's too late

View attachment 286156
Jesus, this is beautiful. She’ll be going mental in that crappy little bungalow, just imagine. Her whole ‘niche’ is being shat on from so many angles and with such ease, kinda puts her whole ‘this requires some special knowledge and experience of real hardship’ claims to bed, no?

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I’m getting mega Jack schadenfreud watching Saturday Kitchen, she’s going to be fewmin! They weirdly chose not to ask Jack to join in with the vegan chat. Sarah Pascoe is doing a much better job of talking about (vegan) food, and it’s not even her ‘literal job’! Jack’s work husband, Sir Matt of the Forearms, seems to be coping quite well without his cheeky little puppyish partner. Terrible 🤦‍♀️
JACK IS TAKING A BREAK FROM TV RIGHT NOW!

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.