Jack Monroe #89 Did you know she once ran out of jam?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Top hausfrau tip - fill with water and drop a tiny bit of a Milton tab in. Leave for a bit & rinse out / wipe down and it’ll all be gone.

Or you can just buy new from John Lewis monthly there’s really no difference
I know this conversation happened this morning but I feel like we are kindred spirits as I bleeping love Milton tabs and use them for all sorts 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
How can she "usually" use her extra pennies to buy tinned spaghetti when she's only been doing these £20 shops for five minutes and there's NO bleeping SPAGHETTI IN THE PICTURES??

• Haha
Reactions: 48
We bought them in the pub where I’m from up north (though it’s more famous for brown shrimps) 🔺

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I know she's a really tit person (pile-ons, cat, compulsive lies, scamming people etc) but I can't get over her cooking.

There are lots of bad cooks out there - people who were never taught properly, people who are lazy, people who lack confidence etc. An ex of mine tried to make me eat pasta that he had put in a pot of cold water then brought to the boil. 🤢 But he was both lazy and a bit thick, so... 🤷🏼‍♀️

But Jack is soooo bad at cooking. And she seems to be getting WORSE. Some of it is her pride, I think. She has to be the maverick, and can never admit failure or ignorance. For example, in her Guardian days she always used to tell people to fast-boil beans and pulses for 10 minutes to remove toxins. This is only true in the case of dried kidney beans, which can be deadly - but she would say it for canned butterbeans etc. When people pointed it out, she doubled down: "There's some debate about this, but I like to err on the side of caution." There's no debate, you just won't admit you didn't know something.

We know that she didn't use salt in her recipes until Allegra taught her to. But beyond that...the flavours clash. The ingredients are nasty. The methods are just plain wrong (cold onions, simmering pasta, rinsing cooked lentils, wanking horses etc). The names of the dishes bear no relation to reality. The texture...just no.

And she bleeping gushes over everything she makes like someone's just touched her wrist. 😏 Everything is amazing first time, ideal for greedy goblins to guzzle down.

After seven years writing cookbooks for a living, after cohabiting with a professional chef, after being immersed in the foodie world for the better part of a decade, doing NOTHING all day so with plenty of time to cook...like, she has to be actively trying to be this tit, surely? Is it elaborate performance art?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 85
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.