Jack Monroe #87 Anchoïade, anchoïade, anchoïade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Speaking of fibs, was there ever an update on the quality of her shower with the bunch of eucalyptus leaves from her flower subscription land lady’s garden after the Southend hurricane?

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Alternatively, instead of rinsing things and weighing the remains, you could check the % ingredients on the back of the packaging 🙄
Isn't that how she "learnt to cook?"
By wandering aimlessly around the supermarket (no doubt to keep warm) reading labels & packets to work out what goes in to a Lasagne or whatever?
Cor blimey guv! Beef mince, tomatoes, pasta & béchemel? What the faaaaaaack is that?!🤯

• Haha
Reactions: 37
"This has been my life's work for the past decade" Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't a life's work something that you do all your life?

Also she was poor from 2012-2013 so unless she was "doing this" (whatever "this" is) before she was sacked/resigned/left her very well paid job, she has only been "doing this" for 7 years, not the past decade.
Are you not familiar with her body of work, Barbara? 😂

In Jack time 7 years absolutely equates to a decade, now duck off x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
By wandering aimlessly around the supermarket (no doubt to keep warm) reading labels & packets to work out what goes in to a Lasagne or whatever?
Cor blimey guv! Beef mince, tomatoes, pasta & béchemel? What the faaaaaaack is that?!🤯
I just want to know which lasagne she picked up that said ‘horse spunk’ on the label in lieu of bechemel?!

ETA: Or did she mistranslate bechemel given her misuse of various other words eg ‘skeevy’.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Going back to the headteacher thing - does she think that the headteacher will actually notice her 'ragey scrunched up face' and worry about her, a parent? As of course the headteacher may have hundreds of children's wellbeing to worry about, but it is always most important to check that St Monroe of Southend is ok first. Narc alarm bells going off everywhere!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I just want to know which lasagne she picked up that said ‘horse spunk’ on the label in lieu of bechemel?!
[/QUOTE sorry EddieBeds I’ve messed up quoting you

The one from Iceland? Weren’t they at the epicentre of horse meat passed off as mince?
It would be economical to use as much of the horse as possible after all 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 17

ETA: Or did she mistranslate bechemel given her misuse of various other words eg ‘skeevy’.
Maybe she got confused at the horse meat scandal? That was 7ish years ago?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can imagine her as a nightmare parent and the headteacher hiding as she sees her coming :LOL:
A'la the postman when he sees Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances (there has to be a face swap meme of that somewhere!)

• Haha
Reactions: 16
What food item is now five times more expensive than 7 years ago? Unless she is comparing tins of beans from when there was a price war going on and they were a loss leader for shops. Beans, bread, etc were being sold below cost by the likes of Lidl and Aldi to gain a customer base. It was unsustainable in the long run and the quality of those beans, bread, etc was diabolical.

She is a knob.
<pops out of lurkerdom>

This is a complex issue. I am not sure where our slop producing crusader thinks the money will be squeezed from if food is kept at an artificially low price. The large retailers will push those costs back to the producers or food manufacturers (who will in turn push back to the producers). This means those who actually produce the food will make far less money, and we're not necessarily talking about people who make wild profits in the first place. There's also the issue of corporate social responsibility - it costs money to be socially responsible - and most big food producers have made massive steps in this area over the last 10 years or so. Unfortunately food costs a certain amount to produce, and costs even more when the producers are paying suppliers fair prices (not perfect yet by any means), but it's pretty easy to argue that we got into a place 10-20 years ago where food was crazy cheap, because its production was based on global practices that were shoddy for people in developing countries, terrible for animal welfare and for dangerous methods of cultivation. Production of food has a real cost, it takes people and resources and land, and squeezing all that results in cheap food, but horrific practices.

And.. and.. and... inflation is a complex beast (I'm not claiming to understand it very much at all) and affects businesses too, particularly the cost of production in processed goods, like, you know, canning and preserving stuff, particularly when it's not base ingredients, but things that require a recipe and development. It's not all money in the companies pockets.

Using the Bank of England's calculator, a shopping basket of £20.27 would have cost £15 in 2009. That's general goods and services, mind, not food specifically. A rate of inflation of about 3.1% a year. However, inflation isn't necessarily bad, controlled inflation can be good in some circumstances, it keeps debts under control as it allows interest rates to be lower, and (in responsible companies) it means salary increases, rather than wage freezes (though I accept it often doesn't match rate of inflation, but that's a different conversation and in reality probably the more important one to have, because this is where the cost of living can really be impacted, when pay rises are not inline with inflation). Deflation or a static economy brings its own problems though, that's the point. It's a delicate balancing act. 3.1% is a little high compared to what's generally the ideal (from what I understand), but can be better for inflation to be a little higher during times of financial crisis, because it keeps a brake on interest rates and allows people to, um, buy houses and tit.

In conclusion, JM is, as ever, full of tit. Waving faded receipts around /= to economic analysis.

Thank you for coming to my inexpert and by no means Ted talk.

<relurks>

• Heart
Reactions: 94
9 years of shopping receipts?!wtaf , this is clearly a lie but why even claim that, there is loads of evidence that food is cheaper now than it was which is why the % of household income on food has been falling for about 50 years. And what about all the cheap supermarkets we didn't have before?
Evidence? God no, all you need is JM anecdotes. They disprove the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

I can't wait to read the poverty book! JM anecdote based policy making in action!

• Haha
There’s an obscure website I use to find out such things (it’s called Google.com if anyone wants to check it out). Shame that we’re not supposed to interact with Jack off Tattle - I think she’d find it most helpful for figuring out recipes, tips for just about every problem out there, finding photos of doggos, etc :(

@Flumps I love how you admit to being inexpert but still provide a much better analysis than Jack ever has. Time for a book deal?

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
So if that’s the case with food prices why the hell is she boosting about being able to save £28 from her last 3 weeks of £20 shops.

she’s been banging on about how well SB and her manage to eat all week and have left overs!

Now I know there’s very few people who could stomach the slop she produces but all her gleeful tweeting about how well she’s managing to live on so little money is like being the Tory poster girl for how the poor should live 😔

how do her fans not see this
And you can do seventy portions of fruit and veg for less than £20! It's just that the poors are too LAZY to do it.

• Haha
We've had a lot of indirectly answering coven questions again today haven't we? I just find it unbelievable that she tweets constantly, right up until bedtime, but expects people to believe she's also writing a book in there somewhere? Then says that's the reason she's on Twitter so much? 😂 Make it make sense

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
I wonder if the #gifted iPhone 11 has been declared as a benefit in kind?
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to accept gifts over a certain value as a business? That might not be the case for limited companies, I'm not sure, but it's been the case for every company I've worked for as it can be classed as bribery.

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.