Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Malacandra

Awwwh I think it's nice you supported your son so much. It's so hard to know how to support them emotionally but it looks like you put in the time and effort. I try that with my eldest, he loves sports and I'm 100% disinterested but goddammit if he wants to do lacrosse I'm studying those matches on YouTube, learning the lingo and buying he stuff on ebay to help him out. I try to practise with him but a six year old owning me all the time is hurtful to my ego lol.
!00% engaged parent x
It is a massive commitment for a child to become a chorister. There is no space for scouts, football or other pastimes, as the requirements are to pretty much give up evenings, weekends, holidays and to give everything to it for the short period (particularly for boys) that their voice is able to be trained and utilised before it is gone - few boys can continue in the adult sections, as their adult voices just aren't up to it.. It's not something that can be forced upon a kid, particularly as it affects the entire family - they have to want to do it and the family needs to support them 100% in doing so - having a good income doesn't really make that much difference, as you don't buy a chorister's education.

I didn't grow up in that sort of family. Finding out that I was musical was a source of alarm and resentment - the only way I learned anything was through my junior school (where the music teacher was an ex choral scholar) funding everything for me, as there was absolutely zero support from home. It wasn't sport, so it had no value. The only exposure I had to classical music was watching cartoons - I used to secretly listen to Radio 3 when nobody was around to hear it, as they'd have yelled at me to 'Turn that bloody screeching rubbish off'. Unfortunately, on getting to secondary school, they required a contribution for things, which she vetoed on the grounds of not being able to afford it, which meant I stuck to playing group things (handbell team, for a start) as they were free.

I had to wait until I was an adult to be able to fund myself and learn. Turned out I'm bloody good at it, too.

Music isn't a respecter of class. It reaches you whatever one you are - and in my case, classical music did it as well as rock, punk and Jazz.
Thank you! Few people realise how much of a commitment parents, grandparents, etc had to make to allow our child to sing like an angel- nor how hard he as his fellow choristers had to work to effortlessly sing.

• Wow
Reactions: 8

Malacandra

Awwwh I think it's nice you supported your son so much. It's so hard to know how to support them emotionally but it looks like you put in the time and effort. I try that with my eldest, he loves sports and I'm 100% disinterested but goddammit if he wants to do lacrosse I'm studying those matches on YouTube, learning the lingo and buying he stuff on ebay to help him out. I try to practise with him but a six year old owning me all the time is hurtful to my ego lol.
That's exactly it! I did the same for my daughter! We supported our children as far as we could, finances permitting. They were privately educated but didn't have the fancy holidays etc of their classmates. They never cared less about that. Our daughter has a decent salary and our artistic son will always struggle financially - but I am so very proud of the human beings that they are.

Reactions: 8
I think she plays on this. It was seen in her bay window cartoon video.

View attachment 264552
That looks like a proper stage piano.
Oh God the mince rinsers and the tea towel fire hazards. Why why why in the ever loving heck would you put a whole chicken in a slow cooker? That group is batshit and I love it.
I do because the oven is knackered and it doesn't dry out or burn if left in there for longer. Nothing wrong with what comes out. And if I'm in a hurry, I cut along the spine, thump it out flat and put it in the wok instead.

Reactions: 7

SoulRebel

VIP Member
totally agree! I used mine a few times then gave it away. I ended up having to finish everything off in the oven just to give it some flavour.
I've never had a slow cook but have found that brining a chicken overnight makes it really moist. Takes up a lot of room in the fridge, mind.

Bugger13

VIP Member
With the release date of Top Gun: Maverick being delayed until 2021, I wondered if our resident songbirds could entertain us with an ode to a love lost.

Smelling every motion
In my foolish lover's duvet
All this endless Ramen
Finally lovers know no shame
Turning and returning
To some nauseous place inside
Watching in slow motion
As I turn around and say

Take your breath away
Take your breath away

Watching all your wailing
Still anticipating love
Never hesitating to become the feted one
Turning and returning
To some cartoon filter to hide
Watching in slow motion
As I turn to you and say

Take your breath away

Through the face filter I saw you
In time you slipped away
When the sentient mirror crashed I called you
And turned to hear you say
If only for today
I am unafraid

Take your breath away
Take your breath away

Smellng every motion
In this foolish lover's duvet
Haunted by the potion
Somewhere there's a love in flames
Turning and returning
To some nauseous place inside
Watching in slow motion
As I turn your way and say

Take your breath away
Take your breath away
Take your breath away
Take your breath away
Finished with an almighty death rattle

• Haha

Fruitjack

VIP Member
Same babe, same

Another person from a WC Northern background here. 🔺

In our house it was always:
Breakfast (aka "brekkie")
Dinner
Tea
Supper (if you were being a greedy goblin that day and wanted a snack before bed).

Now I have MC pretensions I've replaced dinner with lunch (and the dreaded brunch has also entered my vocabulary) but I will never, ever call the evening meal "dinner."

Thankyou, now fuck off x

lilamay

VIP Member
£8.99 for a ready meal lasagne is full baller territory.

Jack’s adventures in ‘classical’ music really betray the instability her constant lies about her background have created. She can only just ‘pick out’ single notes: the poor mite has such a good ear and latent vocal talent, you see, but this was never nurtured (she was too busy doing ballet and riding horses...).

But in listening to Classic FM and indeed owning a piano with weighted keys, she is clearly middle class - I used to go to conservatoire Saturday school and I still hid that I liked classical music from all of my mates because they would have taken. the. piss. (Also got gifted my 🔺instrument🔺which was then held over my head like a sword of Damocles by school who expected me to pop up as a performing monkey for every function they had - not complaining but just saying that we poor turds don’t own the instruments).

Radio 3 is where all the good classical shit is at. Classic FM is repetitive, crowd-pleasing wank, but that’s Jack’s schtick, too. Also I have a few session musician friends and they all told me that Bocelli is a MASSIVE COCK. Takes one to copy one, eh, Jackie?

'the poor mite' 🤣 You know when something randomly just does you in, this was that for me 😂