Jack Monroe #82 Cooking in a boot

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi guys, so apologies, I was going to come back quicker with this, but had a listen to the Talking Tastebuds episode with Jack (the one with Max La Manna on reducing waste)

42 mins in on the nose: talking about putting tea instead of red wine in food “I served it my then partner who had been a chef for 20 years and she couldn’t tell the difference. She was quite cross when I told her, but then she was quite cross about a lot of things” Awkward laugh from a few audience members

No she doesn’t mention Allegra by name but come on...

47 mins and 6 seconds: talks for a good few minutes about how she wrote “that” book on eating seasonally, and people just weren’t doing it at the time 🧐 it was her worst selling book for this reason according to her. Sorry but pretty much anyone that’svaguely into cooking will tell you otherwise Jack. Please duck off.
That 120 recipes book reads awfully, that's why it didn't do well. It starts off at July/August first, Jack's reasoning for that being it's where her first book left off, in terms of her story 🤷

In each coupled month section the recipes within are seemingly then grouped by ingredient, but it means each section has no order, it jumps around from salad to soup, pudding to main meal then on to bread then back to soup etc

It just feels disjointed. It doesn't flow and so is not nice to read or accessible.

Couldn't tell you what the recipes were like as that's as far as I got with it!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
A question for the parent frau’s amongst us.

If your child was visiting you, and mentioned they were being given cheap sausages, constant slop, dry cooking bacon and stale tiger rolls and bagels, would you be talking to the other parent about their choices in food that they’re feeding your shared child?

As this stuff she’s feeding him is not only not nutritious, it’s also very dangerous in terms of stale food. But as a non parent I have no idea if my line of thinking is wrong - I really hope this is his way of intervening by bringing in a fish shop tea.
Can you imagine the child's father saying anything? They would be lucky to ever see their son again until a court ordered her to allow access.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

If your child was visiting you, and mentioned they were being given cheap sausages, constant slop, dry cooking bacon and stale tiger rolls and bagels, would you be talking to the other parent about their choices in food that they’re feeding your shared child?

As this stuff she’s feeding him is not only not nutritious, it’s also very dangerous in terms of stale food. But as a non parent I have no idea if my line of thinking is wrong - I really hope this is his way of intervening by bringing in a fish shop tea.
I'm a parent but not separated to know what it's like in reality 🔺. My guess is when you're co-parenting with a volatile person like Jack you have to be careful which battles you pick. I suspect seeing as she's based her entire persona on being able to feed the world with two tins and a blender, that he does things like fish suppers to make the point rather than directly saying anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
I'm a parent but not separated to know what it's like in reality 🔺. My guess is when you're co-parenting with a volatile person like Jack you have to be careful which battles you pick. I suspect seeing as she's based her entire persona on being able to feed the world with two tins and a blender, that he does things like fish suppers to make the point rather than directly saying anything.
Not a parent but have siblings who have been through horrible divorces and I seriously get the feeling she'd use the boy as a weapon.
Just an opinion.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Depends, if it was me then yes I’d say something. But if I wasn’t being heeded then my kid would be going to his mum’s with a backpack full of fresh fruit, nice sandwiches, healthy snacks etc so that they could fill up on actual proper food and not eat the liver slop. And I’d slip them some extra money to get something nice on the way back from school 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Too right I would! Although my husband is a great cook and I’m not so he would be the one having a word with me. The fact she’s a cook (but not a chef) makes it even worse for me and I’m sure her ex probably thinks the same.

I don’t have a pre-teen but I will in a few years and as his parent, it’s up to me to make sure he’s getting a balanced diet and enough nutrition for his growing/changing body. I know you get situations where a kid will like one thing one day and hate it the next and I don’t want to speculate on SB in particular but for me, I find it hard to believe EVERYTHING she serves him is the best meal he’s tasted, “is there more mum” when to me, the stuff she’s serving has poor ingredients and quite often don’t belong together so I can’t imagine them tasting good.

My son is 4 and autistic and a lot of what he wants to eat is sensory based - he would eat crisps and crackers all freaking day day if you let him...sometimes he won’t eat much of much else but most times he does. I hate food waste but I have to pick my battles and if he point blank refuses then on we go. But if it makes me the baddie because I won’t give him crisps all day then that’s just the way it has to be.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
He obviously say this tweet about "fudging something from the cupboard" and took the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer hint

IMG_20201004_192709.png

I just find it bleeping hilarious that she gets 1.3k likes on a tweet about getting a chippy tea. Twitter rejoicing on behalf of SB that there will be no slop served tonight!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
I legit thought you were going to say “she explained....her husband was in one of the freezers” 😳😳😳
Louisa LEFT.. .but just how far did she get 🤔 👀
Are we sure she's not chained inside a freezer being fed slop?

*a joke your honour*

• Haha
Reactions: 13
He obviously say this tweet about "fudging something from the cupboard" and took the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer hint

View attachment 265303
I just find it bleeping hilarious that she gets 1.3k likes on a tweet about getting a chippy tea. Twitter rejoicing on behalf of SB that there will be no slop served tonight!
Mmmmm.. Yum.. 'Cupboard Fudge'
Tin of sweetened condensed milk, a tin of tomatoes and all the bits from the bottoms of the cupboards.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Cooper looks thoroughly fed up of her.

868DB718-6B91-413F-85B8-2416190C0FC6.jpeg

There’s an 18 second video of Cooper breathing too which i’ve watched on mute. She could be singing Pie Jesu.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
“What larks, Mama! Be they doggos or cattos? Oh will we never know?”

“Fret not, tiniest one. I shall ask Messers Marks & Spencer.”

She does look happy in the last few pics. Her smile reaches her eyes. Whether it’s a new pal or the feeling of being a little poverty pet who is sent money for utility bills, who knows? It’s nicer than everytime I notice she’s posted worrying it’s either a Tattle (attempted) takedown or some miserable story.

• Haha
Reactions: 51

Not a parent of an older child / separated, but his mumsnet post made it sound like he knows he’s got to tow the line and keep the peace, so he’s probably too scared to confront it. I also suspect the reality is more Ocado shops & Percy pigs so he probably doesn’t have anything to worry about.

This top urchin omg chips 👉🏻🥺👈🏻 for little old me 👉🏻🥺👈🏻 schtick is purely for pov PR which’ll lead to Patreon subs and book sales 🙄

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
I'd forgotten all about Eamon's cousin! Honestly this thread could have a thread.

I saw this the other day, I think on Twitter and thought of here

but I also have the fear I actually saw it here so sorry if I'm repeating someone else's find!
This is absolutely effing bonkers 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I really wanted to reply to her and ask why she can’t have the livers, the turkey or all the leftovers but I was terrified that you’d all 🔺 me and kick me off here

View attachment 265303

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.