Jack Monroe #78 All of your food is brown

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She does my head in with the £20 shop. You still need to have various storecupboard ingredients to make actual meals.

It's not possible week in and out to feed a family on £20 a week. Even though the family is just herself and SB.

When I was a single parent....and I do MEAN single parent as my son didn't go anywhere at weekends, there were times when we struggled and I went without to feed my son. Times like that were rare even then though and I always spent more than £20 on a weekly shop. That was several years back.....if I needed more than £20 several years ago then she definitely needs to spending more than that now.

She's playing with the poverty and it's tit as she has a huge following.

She should be saying "I spent £20 to test out if it was possible to feed us for a week and it isn't".

As evidenced by the food added to her meals NOT from the weekly shop it clearly isn't possible to cope on so little.
I would struggle to feed myself on £20 per week, and even shopping at Aldi, when you need to factor in other essentials, such as toilet roll, washing powder etc, it’s not feasible to manage a varied diet and to run a home on that amount.
The point I take issue with, Jack, if you see this, is that if you claim it can be done, there are vulnerable people out there who may be shamed because they can’t understand why they’re not managing to do this. So, in all seriousness, that is why you need to stop claiming that it’s possible.
Second, I’m up for a challenge. I work full time, at the moment I’m having to work from home, but I’m prepared to do a £20 food only shop at Aldi, to see what I can come up with. I’m a good cook so I can rustle up something, but I’m used to feeding one. The catch is, Jackadoodle, is that all I have is a 2 ring hob, I’m on a meter(poor mental health, previous debt) and I earn just under a living wage so the challenge is harder.To all fellow Frauen und Herren, I’ll genuinely try this ASAP. Give me a week or so and I’ll see what I can do. I have an amazing store cupboard but I won’t use it so that salt and pepper will be the only condiments used. Maybe tomato ketchup. Let me get some recipes together and I’ll see what can be done. Anyone wants to join in, welcome. Let’s show her how to do this. NO FLACCID BANGERS PERMITTED.

• Heart
Reactions: 91
Exactly this, I work in HR for a supermarket and I know of a few actors/presenters that took jobs with us at the beginning of lockdown. So what is it that’s stopping her stacking shelves at her local Tesco or something? There’s nothing wrong with it and it’s a regular wage coming in. Other working people seem to manage with childcare so she must have options surely.
Oh be serious - how one earth could she fit in a real job when she has to work 20 hours a day offering advice and support to gvt bodies, political prisoners and povs. For Free.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
What she’s doing is going against everything the movement is standing for and working towards. They say no child should go hungry she says they only need 200cal meals. They say no child should live in poverty she says it’s possible to provide 5 portions of fruit and veg each day for a week for £20 for one child and one adult. She’s clinically thick if she thinks they’d touch her with a frickin barge pole
Perfectly put.

How must some of her followers be feeling as she peddles this myth? Many people will be in severe difficulty now and in the coming weeks and she's blatantly misleading people that you can feed 2 people adequately on £20 a week. I saw some replies to her tweets this week that were really heart breaking, from people in financial trouble wondering where they were going wrong as their food bills were much higher.

On the other side of the coin, she's a tory government's dream as she is giving them licence to slash benefits / school meal funding.

Marcus Rashford should tell her to do one.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 59
she's a tory government's dream as she is giving them licence to slash benefits / school meal funding.
Precisely. I genuinely don’t understand how you can’t see this Jack (as you’re reading) unless either a) you’re a Tory mole or b) your food is designed to show what kind of slop people would have to be eating to survive. But you should be showing that you can’t survive like that, no one can or should least of all children and that’s why Marcus is succeeding because he’s said No More.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Exactly this, I work in HR for a supermarket and I know of a few actors/presenters that took jobs with us at the beginning of lockdown. So what is it that’s stopping her stacking shelves at her local Tesco or something? There’s nothing wrong with it and it’s a regular wage coming in. Other working people seem to manage with childcare so she must have options surely.
Of course there's nothing wrong with it. Unless you are a classist wanker who is above certain jobs. Because while they are oh so valuable and you clap for them on a Thursday, you wouldn't want to dirty your fingernails doing them.
Sadly she's really not unique in that thinking. It just particularly grates when taking her fake backstory into consideration.

Reactions: 27
Things must have changed in the last ten years where she was previously filling some kind of niche and now it’s totally missing the mark and tone deaf.

Reactions: 25
There was a thing in the press a while back. Some newspaper was shaming a ex-soap actor for now working in retail (I think) and lots of actors spoke out because 1) it's the nature of the industry that you may need to do other work in-between gigs 2) there's nothing shameful for working any job to feed yourself and your family.
When I worked in the public sector, many of our temps were actors, some of whom were quite well-known faces. A few of them actually eventually packed in the acting and stayed on permanently.

Reactions: 17
I’ve also worked with many actors and actresses while they were doing temporary work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
So true the majority of the celeb chefs do have working kitchens in resturants they work in at least part time.

Have you been naughty and cheeky, perhaps I should buy you some wet ham? 😂😂😂😂
Why is no one talking about the naughty mouthfeel of a cheeky wet ham

I'm so sorry 😄

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
The thing that pisses me off most about her now claiming poverty is that - unlike a great many ordinary people - she has done very well out of lockdown. In particular:
(1) There was the Hellmann’s job - she said herself that this paid 5 figures (so *at least* £10,000 - could have been more - for 45 minutes’ work a week, when she could be arsed to turn up, and little to no prep, judging by the results).
(2) She had 2 weeks of DKL - that would have paid significantly more than Hellmann’s, I’d guess. So another £10,000+.
(3) She published a book - so there will be royalties etc. from that PLUS royalties from her previous books.
(4) She’s currently writing another book, possibly 2 books - so I assume she would have received an advance?
(5) She did that housing conference thing - a paid gig.
(6) The monthly Patreon cash continues to roll in, and she has increased her subscribers.
(7) Not forgetting her ongoing income from ads, affiliate links and monetised videos.
That’s quite a bit of income since March. Much better than the average person’s, I’d say. She is a shameless bullshitter.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Actually I noted in the photo she shared (which was then posted here) of her bookshelves that she had a book about 800 cals a day plus the Pinch of Nom one. I'm tempted on the basis of this and her calorie comments to say she may have some kind of disordered eating. Not necessarily an eating disorder per se but some kind of issue around food and meals.

Reactions: 26
This is quite interesting - Jack talking about how she reads all the comments about her because she values constructive criticism.
(ETA it doesn't automatically play, just click on it and it will take you to the video).

HA HA HA HA HA. What a dick. Why does she bother saying things like this? She never responds well to slight criticism and she sure as hell hasn’t changed her ways after reading any bad points.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Actually I noted in the photo she shared (which was then posted here) of her bookshelves that she had a book about 800 cals a day plus the Pinch of Nom one. I'm tempted on the basis of this and her calorie comments to say she may have some kind of disordered eating. Not necessarily an eating disorder per se but some kind of issue around food and meals.
oh it’s already on her list of ailments - she loves alluding to ED stuff and she is grotesquely triggering about it.

Can you believe it’s only been 7 mere days since the revealing of peeky_mink?!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
The thing that pisses me off most about her now claiming poverty is that - unlike a great many ordinary people - she has done very well out of lockdown. In particular:
(1) There was the Hellmann’s job - she said herself that this paid 5 figures (so *at least* £10,000 - could have been more - for 45 minutes’ work a week, when she could be arsed to turn up, and little to no prep, judging by the results).
(2) She had 2 weeks of DKL - that would have paid significantly more than Hellmann’s, I’d guess. So another £10,000+.
(3) She published a book - so there will be royalties etc. from that PLUS royalties from her previous books.
(4) She’s currently writing another book, possibly 2 books - so I assume she would have received an advance?
(5) She did that housing conference thing - a paid gig.
(6) The monthly Patreon cash continues to roll in, and she has increased her subscribers.
(7) Not forgetting her ongoing income from ads, affiliate links and monetised videos.
That’s quite a bit of income since March. Much better than the average person’s, I’d say. She is a shameless bullshitter.
I wonder if there are any royalties though? If she’s had an advance and pissed that up the wall, the latest book everyone forgot was even published and she did no pushing of apart from the cover pic of her twitter page (even having her own ‘bad days’ and openly admitting to eating biscuits - THEN not NOW) maybe she owes the publisher money 😂

Why is no one talking about the naughty mouthfeel of a cheeky wet ham

I'm so sorry 😄
I don’t feel like you really are sorry 😐

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
IMG_20200926_214359_338.jpg

I made some apple cinnamon nutmeg muscovado sugar flour and butter crumble last night. With real lemon (fancy) and hot custard (controversial). I'm a maverick so I just eye-balled the amounts and popped it in the oven. Alerted by its sweet aroma stealing its way across my crappy rented flat, I scampered back like an excited field mouse to take it out and dish it up. It looked so good I scarfed half of it out of the pan I because I am a greedy goblin. I don't have an SB but if I did I'm sure he'd declare it best ever, while licking his lips and eyeing up the oven dish for seconds.

I am considering blending the leftovers as a base for stew/casserole/curry/pasta sauce. Or I might sandwich it between two malted milks with generous dollops of biscoff.

Cost 0.70 per portion if you don't count what I already had in the house.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Oh now I want an apple crumble!

It’s definitely roast weather today - I’m just about to put in a lamb shoulder. Has Jack retweeted that same crap roast potato pic she’s been posting since 2018?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Don't know if we missed this last week, but there was mention of food she already had in. So she did a £20 top-up shop?

Screenshot_20200927-150403_Fenix.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
And three freezers. Running on empty? Frantically, desperately, severely unplugged ?
I laugh and then I could cry.
If she is tightening her belt for personal reasons then eat what’s in the three freezers.

We did this in January (Only 1 freezer) of this year, made meals from freezer and cupboards with basic shop to top up. I wanted to see how much we could save by being organised and eating what was in the house.....got through two months and could have got further but covid meant that not having cupboards and freezer stocked was a bit risky!

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.