Jack Monroe #75 Peekaboo

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another courgette lover here (innuendo. Get it, get it???). They are not smokey, unless you put them on a bbq or add liquid smoke. The same could be said for any other vegetable. They also don't caramelise, as they are very high in water, but not sugar (unlike onions or starchy veg). She really is utterly clueless.

Courgettes are great for two separate reasons. Either you use them in recipes for their freshness and because they cook quickly (the pasta dish you describe, or a stir fry or maybe a frittata) or you add them for added bulk without many calories (soups, stews, etc). Courgettes are no ones go to veg for smokiness and caramelisation.
Courgettes do make pretty good fake spaghetti too IMO (spiralised). I prefer it to the edamame/lentil-based pasta, if avoiding wheat-based (i.e. “real”) pasta.

Reactions: 13
Risking an over-invested post from the past <woooo!> but i can kind of see the (admittedly) tenuous rationale behind this.

Those of us that habitually cook from scratch are fully behind the idea that fat/dripping adds flavour to a stew that can never be exactly approximated with "plant-based" ingredients, no matter how fancy. Dripping and saved animal fats are the essential backbone of the kind of peasant cooking i *think* she's trying to hack (in her current incarnation). A diet consisting of 90% "plant-based" (aka plants!) and 10% animal based (especially if that animal is a pig, but that's heading into Goode Life/HFW territory that JM wouldn't feel safe treading, IMHO) is moving in the right direction...

So by providing 10% animal fat she reckon's she's cracked it. Except the animal fat should ideally be from a free range/high welfare animal, and preferably anointed by herbs and/or spices eg. bay or rosemary, as it would if it was leftover from a roast, eked out over the week, in traditional peasant fashion.

Jack wishes buying a block of fun-price lard is a shortcut to those types of depth of flavour.

<Hint> It's not :(

Sorry, I got massively too interested in food then <slaps self back to consciousness> meanwhile, what wild-lard-chase is JM embroiled in, and do you have receipts???
This is a bit elitist and condescending.

According to you, people who cook from scratch universally rely on animal fat for flavour. Vegans and vegetarians don’t cook from scratch apparently, and every meat eater who likes to cook worships at the alter of melted animal grease.

“Plant based” food is inferior and deserves to be written in scare quotes. And yes plant based food is literally plants, just as animal products are literally animals.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Courgettes do make pretty good fake spaghetti too IMO (spiralised). I prefer it to the edamame/lentil-based pasta, if avoiding wheat-based (i.e. “real”) pasta.
I like to spiralise them and to spaghetti , it pads it out without being too heavy. Why doesnt she give basic decent advice?

Reactions: 14
Mid grunkaing but what happened to JM and Sainsburys? Seeing references but in the dark atm.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
just watching a documentary on itv about myra hindley and rose west and cant help but notice how JM has the same glasses at Rose West.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
I love love love Whisky...most single malts are vastly different to each other, depending on the water, barley, distillery process etc. A whisky connoisseur could easily tell you exactly which distillery each one is from.

To say that her ghastly concoction bears any resemblance to Whisky is laughable! Gets right up my goat!!!
It's flat out offensive but I know her track record, her rancid ditchwater will never make it to market and this slur on the entire Scottish nation will be short lived.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
I have to confess, I find frying sausages stressful 😳. But that is because we usually have them with a fry up or homemade chips, fried eggs and beans.
You’re both amazing. I barely brush my hair these days. 😉
Neither do I dear heart. I just stare at my beautiful/sad/maverick face lit up in all it's glory.

(That's an absolute LIE. The bright light is very good for chinny reckon hair removal)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Mid grunkaing but what happened to JM and Sainsburys? Seeing references but in the dark atm.
She made the 'misty eyed' David Cameron comment and lost a lucrative job with them. I won't link to Daily Mail but their headline: Sainsbury's axes Left-wing blogger for vile PM slur: Guardian columnist accused Cameron of exploiting his son's death... but was happy to trade on her OWN child

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Risking an over-invested post from the past <woooo!> but i can kind of see the (admittedly) tenuous rationale behind this.

Those of us that habitually cook from scratch are fully behind the idea that fat/dripping adds flavour to a stew that can never be exactly approximated with "plant-based" ingredients, no matter how fancy. Dripping and saved animal fats are the essential backbone of the kind of peasant cooking i *think* she's trying to hack (in her current incarnation). A diet consisting of 90% "plant-based" (aka plants!) and 10% animal based (especially if that animal is a pig, but that's heading into Goode Life/HFW territory that JM wouldn't feel safe treading, IMHO) is moving in the right direction...

So by providing 10% animal fat she reckon's she's cracked it. Except the animal fat should ideally be from a free range/high welfare animal, and preferably anointed by herbs and/or spices eg. bay or rosemary, as it would if it was leftover from a roast, eked out over the week, in traditional peasant fashion.

Jack wishes buying a block of fun-price lard is a shortcut to those types of depth of flavour.

<Hint> It's not :(

Sorry, I got massively too interested in food then <slaps self back to consciousness> meanwhile, what wild-lard-chase is JM embroiled in, and do you have receipts???
I just think the word lard is funny.

and she claims to eat vegan 90% of the time and deprived herself of bacon and sausages tonight cos vegan! and yet...

Screenshot_20200921-213234_Twitter.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
I make soup for a living, and I cannot put lentil and courgette together in my head and make it work. Lentils are magical things - nutty, buttery, rich. Courgettes are basically bags of water, and roasting them is only going to evaporate the water. I put summery green flavours with courgettes (watercress, dill, spinach), but I can’t imagine them with lentils. Unless you’re in need of yet another recipe to pad out yet another cookbook nobody asked for.

Soup deserves better than this.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
They dropped her after she made horrible comments about David Cameron in which she accused him of using the death of his son Ivan for political advantage.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She’s even drinking it in her favourite whisky glass. I don’t want to offend or trigger anyone but surely that’s not a great idea? So so sorry if i’m out of line.
It’s a no from me...my favourite AF drinks are:
Water
Red Bull
Diet Pepsi
Fruity tea

If I’m drinking something that looks like whisky from a whisky glass than I’m in a dangerous place. And nobody wants a drunk Lenny 😳.

I went back to read thread 31 when I was waiting for Mr L and SB to come home tonight (honestly, that thread is a thing of beauty) and in response so a comment I made, Jack said her experience was not representative of AA or words to that effect, yet she is so irresponsible about it all knowing full well she has a large platform. Alcoholism is a terrible illness and one that tries to convince you you don’t have it, so those still struggling might think “well if she can drink Kombucha and low alcohol beer then so can I”. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their own sobriety but she’s bang out of order IMO.

ETA: I appreciate there’s a market for AF drinks for people who aren’t alcoholic, my frustration at this from her comes from her saying she’s an alcoholic/is in AA.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
M
I have to confess, I find frying sausages stressful 😳. But that is because we usually have them with a fry up or homemade chips, fried eggs and beans.

Neither do I dear heart. I just stare at my beautiful/sad/maverick face lit up in all it's glory.

(That's an absolute LIE. The bright light is very good for chinny reckon hair removal)
My mum always told me to start on the sausages and work your way down to the eggs for a fryup.

Reactions: 15
Lovely Canal members, I'm delurking to say hello!
I'm not much of a talker but I'd like to say Thank You So Matt much Matt for the laughs, I've had a belter of a time reading these threads and I can't believe it's been 84 years six months already. I didn't know much about Lord Jackington before March but now I feel I could easily get half a GCSE in that subject.

Will Absolutely Get Fucked now but wanted to leave you with this...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
Just remembered that if she’d have cooked this last week it would have been posted using a cartoon filter to protect her safety 🤣.

I think I’d have rather she had put a filter on that slop!
the twist is that the cartoon filter was for our protection all along 😆😆😆

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.