Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's this very strange reverse snobbery about dishes - particularly dishes from other European countries. It's weird and disrespectful to go "ah well I'LL call it carbonara because what do Italians know anyway?" It's revelling in ignorance, and it reminds me of when someone goes "hi I'm Jorge" and the response is "oh well I'll call you George then" (I've had colleagues do this...).

I mentioned earlier that if you ordered fish and chips, and I gave you steamed salmon, you'd probably complain. Well, a Spanish person would complain about Jack's "tortilla". An Italian would complain about her carbonara, risotto, funeral pasta (remember that one?), mushroom and chocolate pasta sauce...

And it's not about being a snob or a purist. It's just that words have bleeping meanings. Again, you ask for shepherd's pie. I give you a dish with shredded chicken instead of minced lamb. Go ahead and say you were *inspired* by another country's cuisine, sure. But don't rob words of their meaning, and then be proud of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I thought so, but glad a more culinary-minded frau can confirm! If I ever make carbonara (which is quite rare because it uses a lot of animal products that I do try to avoid when I can - I am not 90% vegan though and would never claim to be!) I use THAT MAN's and it's never failed me tbh.

I feel like Italian cooking should be about simple ingredients, done well. Not flinging in half the reduced aisle and attaching an Italian recipe name that vaguely resonates onto it.
Anyone interested in vegan carbonara, have a google of gastroplantā€™s recipe. Obviously not traditional but itā€™s the closest to the proper italian Iā€™ve ever found, absolutely delicious & minimalist baker vegan Parmesan is also great

• Heart
Reactions: 20
In one of her books (can't recall which one) she dipped her toe into French-Italian fusion food with her "car-brie-nara" (literally carbonara with brie) :sick:
I made that once! The "carbonara" sauce was made of melted brie and yoghurt if I remember right, and it wasn't actually as bad as it sounds. But it was the chopped onion in it that put me off it!

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Iā€™m a bit confused fellow Fraus and have a query with regard to her timeline of events.

So she worked as a fire fighter call handler whilst she was with child. But she met SBā€™s dad whilst working at Starbucks and then fell pregnant and lost her job because she couldnā€™t get childcare etc etc.

This would suggest she was working 2 jobs whilst at the fire service? My friend is a call handler for the police and she works relentless hours. Why would she take a second job when the call handler job would be so intense?

Sorry if Iā€™ve got this wrong! Itā€™s been bugging me all day!

• Wow
Reactions: 28
Iā€™m a bit confused fellow Fraus and have a query with regard to her timeline of events.

So she worked as a fire fighter call handler whilst she was with child. But she met SBā€™s dad whilst working at Starbucks and then fell pregnant and lost her job because she couldnā€™t get childcare etc etc.

This would suggest she was working 2 jobs whilst at the fire service? My friend is a call handler for the police and she works relentless hours. Why would she take a second job when the call handler job would be so intense?

The timelines never add up. Nothing makes sense.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Maybe Jack's a time traveller. That's the only way I can figure she has had enough time to have half the jobs and life experiences she says she has.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Itā€™s not a bleeping carbonara. I have italian family. Why was it ok for her to go on about the Joloff rice when it came to ā€˜that manā€™, yet she can culturally appropriate whatever she wants? (Not that I give a tit, no italian is going to accept thatā€™s a carbonara, theyā€™d just pass on it)
Itā€™s certainly not a carbonara, even if she thinks she is using a ā€œcarbonara baseā€. Iā€™m also a bit iffy about rosemary and nutmeg as a flavour combination - they are both a bit strong and surely theyā€™d clash.

• Sick
Reactions: 28

I think Jack had known him several years before he impregnated her.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
When you resort to stretching the truth/outright lying to avoid accountability or handwave inconvenient questions, it becomes easier and easier to fall back on, to the point where it's second nature. The trouble is, the more you rely on this tactic the harder it is to keep your story straight, resulting in inconsistencies and blurring of the timeline as you try to remember what you've already told people.

Just an observation, Your Honour.

Reactions: 20
I definitely read in one of her interviews that she met SB's dad while working at a coffee shop together, had a whirlwind fling and she ended up pregnant and working at the fire service. Must've all happened fairly quickly but then it seems like she only stuck each of her retail jobs out for a very short amount of time (yet still adding the *experience* to her CV)

Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.