Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 228601

I'm on a Grunka. Stop tweeting, Jack.
It’s really not that hard, you make up a sweet tea, add it to the SCOBY, let it sit for 7-10 days then enjoy! It takes 5 mins prep, cooling time and then just the wait. I tend to make my tea brew in the morning and by the afternoon it’s cool enough to add in. Fermenting it for weeks?!?!! 🤢 it will be vinegar by that time.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 19
The only downside to mega grunka is being unable to comment. I am at the bit where she says she prefers a relationship where her other half doesn’t cook, as it’s less competitive and makes her indispensable. I can think of nothing worse than coming home from a days work, including the commute, to be faced with a bowl of unidentifiable slop.
You'd never need to use laxatives again.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Many many books have been written on poverty and I don't believe a single one has made a difference. It did not stop me growing up in a high rise with single glazing, no central heating and inadequate food. It did not stop some of the neighbours from turning to drugs. It did not stop my father from spending what little excess we had on alcohol which further fuelled his rage. Fast forward 30 years later and I still see the same people on the fringes of society completely bereft of any happiness or point to life because genuine poverty is what they live and breathe. There are still children going hungry, still homes with no heating and many people helplessly addicted to various substances. Nothing has really changed with the exception of how widespread and normal food banks are. No book has ever changed that and people knew deep in poverty are not going to be reading these kind of books either.
Jack's book if published might be lauded by white saviour blue stickers but apart from this it will fall into the abyss of other books which failed to make a difference. It's real policies and on the ground action that can make a difference.
This "book" (if indeed it ever appears) was only ever intended to benefit one person. Those it pertains to validate will not have the luxury of choice to simply 'pop it in their basket' & take a cursory glance before discarding to either the 'charity pile' or ostentatious bookcase carefully designed to impress their friends.

The price of each these published pity parties would feed a family (& well) for days..
...the whole thing really boils my piss.

Reactions: 24
I confess I am barely managing to Grunka, just dipping in and out so I'm sorry if this has been discussed but why the duck would she need to be signed off? It's just a letter (or form) for your employer saying you won't be in. Isn't she... self-employed? Her mental health issues run deeper than I previously believed if she thinks her and her employer are two distinct people.

There's much else to comment on but the gist of it is she remains an absolute melt and @Pocahontas amazing thread recaps are really all anyone needs to know.
* I think* you need a cert from GP if you are self employed and want to claim benefits.

Reactions: 5
Many many books have been written on poverty and I don't believe a single one has made a difference. It did not stop me growing up in a high rise with single glazing, no central heating and inadequate food. It did not stop some of the neighbours from turning to drugs. It did not stop my father from spending what little excess we had on alcohol which further fuelled his rage. Fast forward 30 years later and I still see the same people on the fringes of society completely bereft of any happiness or point to life because genuine poverty is what they live and breathe. There are still children going hungry, still homes with no heating and many people helplessly addicted to various substances. Nothing has really changed with the exception of how widespread and normal food banks are. No book has ever changed that and people knew deep in poverty are not going to be reading these kind of books either.
Jack's book if published might be lauded by white saviour blue stickers but apart from this it will fall into the abyss of other books which failed to make a difference. It's real policies and on the ground action that can make a difference.
Excellent comment. I am very sorry to read that you have in the past experienced genuine hardship over a long period of time. Jack Monroe does not understand long term poverty because she has never experienced it. All the books do is enrich the writer, their publisher and give them media gravitas. The more I think about it, the more angry and disgusted I become at the thought of Jack Monroe positioning herself as the poster girl of poverty. In her own mind, she is Joan of Arc, Nelson Mandela and Marco Pierre White rolled into one. Oh, I forgot Ghandi.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
What IS her cause, exactly, that she is so vehemently defending? And how dare anyone mention a cause that they are interested in? She has no kindness or empathy. She just wants to be famous. I bet she's wishing she picked gaming or baking or some other schizz to be her "thing"
And all that stuff about the nightmare of going back to school with a lack of breakfast clubs? Pretty much word for word copied out of yesterday's paper. Fanny

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
The only downside to mega grunka is being unable to comment. I am at the bit where she says she prefers a relationship where her other half doesn’t cook, as it’s less competitive and makes her indispensable. I can think of nothing worse than coming home from a days work, including the commute, to be faced with a bowl of unidentifiable slop.
Why on earth would cooking for someone you love be 'competitive'? What an awful person she is.

My other half was a chef for a good few years and I am no great shakes as a cook, but he loves it when I make dinner. He's really encouraging and honest. A few weeks ago he was tucking into some potatoes (funnily enough) and said 'you're getting much better at this' and my little heart soared ☺

Cooking is love. Competition shouldn't even enter into it. Then again looking at the stories people have shared of their poverty struggles, Jack seems to only want to hear them to reply SAME OR WORSE.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
View attachment 228636
She really could start a fight in an empty room.
If she really cared about mum’s preparing for back to school she really should have actually campaigned WITH a solution back in July when these measures were announced. This is nothing more than seeking some engagement when everyone’s stressed about the impending start of term.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.