Jack Monroe #65 Green gages and ham

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She probably doesn't realise these safeguards should be in place, and her publisher possibly doesn't either. JM has no academic background, so this book will rely on her 'brand' of being a 'poverty' campaigner, even although she only campaigns for herself. Sadly, the fallout from Covid is coming along at the right time for this book. JM will make tv appearances (paid) and make good money from the book. There is unfortunately no interviewer who will state "but you were only on benefits for a short time".
But she claims to have been a journalist and they definitely have similar codes of conduct with regard to ethics and choosing their informants.

I think we can all agree that Jack and her publisher should be carefully following an ethical procedure for both procuring her informant sample and the process of interviewing them, and they know this. However, we all also know that her "research" is inevitably going to consist of this casual twitter shout out for stories, Jack choosing and not fact-checking the most ostentatious screeds of woe, and then bullishly inserting her own experiences into any interview she may conduct, with no aftercare or signposting to further help.

It's a horror show, and absolutely ridiculous that nobody involved has thought about the implications of making money by weaponising accounts of poverty (I don't care if the respondents are paid because it won't be anything like the fee Cackie pockets). I wish someone would put Stuart Hall's 'Representation' into her "to read" pile, as it's a great explanation of why upper to middle class publishers think that publishing a middle class girl's account of briefly being skint is some form of poverty activism. However, Jack would no doubt read it and her narcissistic brain would take it as a vindication of her baffling success as an urchin done good.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I canny find if this was discuss but just last night's "I’ve now managed to make a list of about a dozen books I’ve lent my Dad that he hasn’t given back!! Cheers everyone - off for a walk in the morning with a sturdy backpack to have a socially distanced shout down his driveway".

The constant need to make jibes at her parents is pathetic.

• Sad
Reactions: 27
Her research plan and ethics would undoubtedly not get university approval was it an MSc or PhD proposal. It all sounds so dodgy. I also think 40 days is a ridiculously short time to write a first draft of a multichaptered book? I follow a couple of old uni lecturers on Twitter who write non fiction books for the general public and it usually takes them a couple of years when you factor in the research and revisions. I can imagine it being totally slap dash - not carefully crafted as it should be.

I remember when I still followed her and she was "inventing" about 4 recipes a day for her 'Vegan-ish' book. That sounds totally rushed to me... she clearly had left it til the last minute to get finished. As I think she has here. Good Food for Bad Days was published ages ago now. I think she probably should have been writing this from Feb/March. Lockdown would have certainly been a great time to get the ball rolling... what with cancelled gigs etc. But what a surprise she fannied about getting her unruly flaps out on sideboards and facetuning the size of her lips.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Curious so I looked up conscious capitalism - sounds exactly like the kind of bullshit that a hyper consumerist, secret Torygraph reader, hardcore centrist like jack would be a proponent of. Arguing that google and amazon are ethical corporations!

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Jack liked this post.
@Incywincy I love your determination😘View attachment 228496
There is literally no need to follow her as she never posts anything (ETA - related to the topic of austerity etc) other than recycled ten year old rantings / screeds.

I pity the people actually doing worthwhile work in this area as she hogs the limelight to feed her own insatiable ego.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Same 😬

I think I was perhaps being unfair in suspecting her fans might be prone to exaggerating. 🙄

Ok, it’s possible I guess? But this is the exact sort of thing that can’t be verified and could be absolute bullshit

This person gets it. Give the money to those who really need it.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 32
Is GDPR, data protection relevant here? Will the contributors be anonymous, Thus preventing any authenticity checks? whilst allowing a complete dramatic fudge. Or will she identify them, and open them up to .......?
But how do we know there will be valid contributors? I mean this could be an excuse to live out a variety of well imagined poverty fantasies..

Bit like Mr Benn when he gets dressed up in different outfits & lives a day as a medieval Knight or whatever🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Same 😬

I think I was perhaps being unfair in suspecting her fans might be prone to exaggerating. 🙄

Ok, it’s possible I guess? But this is the exact sort of thing that can’t be verified and could be absolute bullshit

Literally can imagine her replying "Same" to every one of these tweets.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
She replied to every blue ticker or at least at acknowledged them. I noticed she ignored the poor soul who said they were skint and asked for ideas on what to do with lentils.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Little Miss Shan’t
It was a bright, sunny morning and Little Miss Shan’t woke up to an email from her agent. The email was asking her to apologise publicly to all the many people on Twitter she had been grumbling and saying bad things about. Little Miss Shan’t crossed her arms. ‘Shan’t!’ she said to her cat.

She went downstairs and thought about what she was going to eat for breakfast. A little voice inside her head suggested that she cook something with texture, and to perhaps not take eleventy poorly-constructed photos of it. Little Miss Shan’t stamped her foot. ‘Shan’t!’ she said to the delivery man, who was dropping off another box of books and a new nutribullet and a third hammock from John Lewis.

Little Miss Shan’t went to sit in her large, quiet garden. She smelt the faint tang of the nearby seafront and watched as a small bird ferried twigs to and from its nest. She gazed at her rather nice-looking house in the morning sun, and another little voice inside her head suggested that perhaps she feels grateful for all that she has, which is far more than many, many people do not have. Little Miss Shan’t pondered this novel notion. She bit into her teething necklace and frowned. ‘Shan’t!’ she grumbled into the folds of her Vivienne Westwood dress.
Not got time for a full catch up as I’m BUSY, but @Pocahontas, you are an absolute genius 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Just saw she has to write 80k in 40 days - that would be quite tough if it was fiction. If it's non-fiction it should actually be harder given the subject matter. Do we think she can do it in time? Or are twitter tantrums on the way? Even if she's getting other people to write bits of it, it surely still needs to be fact-checked and edited?

Reactions: 14
Same 😬

I can’t understand how telling people’s poverty stories is going to achieve anything other than being a depressing book to read (and write). What’s the point? Why doesn’t she put actual effort into doing something like Marcus Rashford, less talking/moaning/writing and more actual action.

Something else I’ve been wondering, what age did she leave school? 16? Did she study at all after she “FAILED GRAMMAR SCHOOL”? And what age did she have SB?
How on earth did she fit all of these jobs into her short time of employment, 6 years total? Fire service at 19? Coffee shop 2 years prior? When was she a journalist?

(Man & mathematical equations Gif)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
But how do we know there will be valid contributors? I mean this could be an excuse to live out a variety of well imagined poverty fantasies..

Bit like Mr Benn when he gets dressed up in different outfits & lives a day as a medieval Knight or whatever🤔
And how many people living in genuine year in, year out poverty are following the twatterings of a smeg owning, multi-freezered ex poor person who wears Vivienne Westwood (RIP) to the supermarket.

f

• Sad
Reactions: 24
Inspirational...
(with apologies for shaky font - lettering is not my thing, and I was giggling a bit)
Perfect!!!! Love that you’ve got the bag in there. Thank Christ you wisely chose not to pen in more detail. I don’t think I could deal with unruly labia at lunchtime 😬

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 22
This needs to be published. Ironically by Jack's publisher please.
Little Miss Shan’t
It was a bright, sunny morning and Little Miss Shan’t woke up to an email from her agent. The email was asking her to apologise publicly to all the many people on Twitter she had been grumbling and saying bad things about. Little Miss Shan’t crossed her arms. ‘Shan’t!’ she said to her cat.

She went downstairs and thought about what she was going to eat for breakfast. A little voice inside her head suggested that she cook something with texture, and to perhaps not take eleventy poorly-constructed photos of it. Little Miss Shan’t stamped her foot. ‘Shan’t!’ she said to the delivery man, who was dropping off another box of books and a new nutribullet and a third hammock from John Lewis.

Little Miss Shan’t went to sit in her large, quiet garden. She smelt the faint tang of the nearby seafront and watched as a small bird ferried twigs to and from its nest. She gazed at her rather nice-looking house in the morning sun, and another little voice inside her head suggested that perhaps she feels grateful for all that she has, which is far more than many, many people do not have. Little Miss Shan’t pondered this novel notion. She bit into her teething necklace and frowned. ‘Shan’t!’ she grumbled into the folds of her Vivienne Westwood dress.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

I think the Mr Benn theme tune would be the perfect backdrop to a documentary of 'A day in the life of Jack Monroe' as she ambles aimlessly about her hoarders heaven house, racking up those 20,000 steps before venturing out to Tesco Express to buy some food to post on Instagram that evening.

Your profile pic 🤣🤣🤣

Love your new one too - are you planning on staging a dirty protest?

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Re: the tight deadline she's apparently imposed on herself for writing her tome on poverty, she claimed in the intro to Good Food for Bad Days that she scrapped the entire first draft four weeks before the submission date and rewrote the entire thing from scratch.

Which may be complete bullshit (as it's Jack) or, if true, might explain a great deal re: her questionable recipes if this is her usual writing process. "tit, two days to go. duck it, crab paste carbonara. That'll do."

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I think the Mr Benn theme tune would be the perfect backdrop to a documentary of 'A day in the life of Jack Monroe' as she ambles aimlessly about her hoarders heaven house, racking up those 20,000 steps before venturing out to Tesco Express to buy some food to post on Instagram that evening.

Love your new one too - are you planning on staging a dirty protest?
I’ve just been eating some mousse

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.