Jack Monroe #64 One hand refreshing Twitter, and the other one playing the piano

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't think she ever would. It's just for social media attention. So somebody will point the above or similar out and she can angrily assert that she works 20 hour days now etc.
It’s just a pipe dream. She likes the idea of playing the bountiful host at a hugely successful restaurant which the blue-tickers flock to in their droves, to sample her delightful slops and to hang on her every word as she tells her tales. She’s not thinking of the bloody hard work that running a restaurant entails. And in reality, who would really want to eat her food? It all looks so gruesome.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I honestly think she has no intention of opening any such eateries. This is just another "fuel my ego" demand, she wants to see how many people think she SHOULD do it, so she can claim there was petitions and demands for it but of course she's severely busy. Same with the implications about writing books and all that pish. Just get a feckin job will you.

Reactions: 19
If she really wanted to open a restaurant, it should reflect her *cough* values. We're facing massive job losses, so she could set up a restaurant that hires people who've been made redundant, or perhaps even long-term unemployed. Hiring homeless people would be even better. Cooking cheap, filling fare that's affordable when people don't have the money to go out to eat as much. Certainly not bowls of purple cabbage risotto with pickled beans.

Of course, she'd have to admit this idea has already been done by people much more dedicated than her, and to varying degrees of success, including by THAT MAN. His Fifteen cause was genuinely lovely and I'm sad that it failed - but, of course, opening a restaurant is one of the riskiest things you can do, even if you're hugely wealthy and a well-respected chef. Jack would fail completely.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I've never used a slow cooker so I don't actually know - but I can't see how a jam is going to thicken in one? Isn't it just going to come out as overly sweetened slop?

• Haha
Reactions: 18
If she really wanted to open a restaurant, it should reflect her *cough* values. We're facing massive job losses, so she could set up a restaurant that hires people who've been made redundant, or perhaps even long-term unemployed. Hiring homeless people would be even better. Cooking cheap, filling fare that's affordable when people don't have the money to go out to eat as much. Certainly not bowls of purple cabbage risotto with pickled beans.

Of course, she'd have to admit this idea has already been done by people much more dedicated than her, and to varying degrees of success, including by THAT MAN. His Fifteen cause was genuinely lovely and I'm sad that it failed - but, of course, opening a restaurant is one of the riskiest things you can do, even if you're hugely wealthy and a well-respected chef. Jack would fail completely.
Yes! Exactly this! Or at the very least partner with one of the many charities across the UK who use hospitality skills and training to help people get into employment.

There are sooo many community development initiatives that she could found, and it would even solve her so called financial woes. She's just a lazy untalented bint and the more I think about it, the more I feel like she's acting out a very well thought out pre-meditated character, simply to direct traffic to her Patreon account.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I've never used a slow cooker so I don't actually know - but I can't see how a jam is going to thicken in one? Isn't it just going to come out as overly sweetened slop?
Yes, absolutely x

It will just be a greengage sauce - probably pretty tasty because, y'know, it's fruit and sugar, it's hard to go wrong. But it won't be spreadable in the way that jam is. I imagine she'll get round this by finding it SO delicious, she just eats it with a spoon :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Jam making is one of my things. There is no way that you could get the temperature high enough to get the rolling boil you need to get a good set.

(Homemade jams, chutneys and curds are what I give for Christmas gifts. It is what I can afford and it always seems to be gratefully received. )

ETA why would you bother with a slow cooker anyway? It takes no time on the stove top. My picked from the riverside apple and blackberry jam is bloody lovely. Bramble jelly made too, but not yet sampled. I am waiting for some greengages. My partner lives in a part of the country where there are loads of abandond greengage orchards. They were abandoned when they went out of fashion. No Waitrose for me, whispered or not. Hope that isn't too much of a help with the triangulation.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
It wouldn't (she'll lie about it, if it's ever mentioned again though) I have done an American style apple butter in the slow cooker before, which worked really well.

Reactions: 10
(Homemade jams, chutneys and curds are what I give for Christmas gifts. It is what I can afford and it always seems to be gratefully received. )
What a lovely idea! Last year we made up hampers as gifts for people. Made a point of only purchasing the items from local independent places and mainly from the artisan markets. I might need to throw in some home made chutneys in this year's efforts.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It won't thicken. It needs to be boiled for the chemical reaction to happen. Similar reason for not putting wine in caserole in SC. It won't boil off.
if anything it will make it more runny. Unless she keeps the lid off, which means the SC won't work properly.
She could reduce it in a pan on the hob afterwards but then why cook it in the SC in first place?
The whole point of a SC is that you keep all the juices IN the food. I can understand cooking fruit in a SC to get flavour out, but the original juice plus condensation will water it down....

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Someone suggested this-jack has liked it. How about setting up a non profit restaurant (😂)? Earthling Ed set up unity diner-brilliant place, all the profits go to animals. Jack could do the same & just take a reasonable wage? (Obviously never going to happen, those sideboards won’t buy themselves).

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 14
What a lovely idea! Last year we made up hampers as gifts for people. Made a point of only purchasing the items from local independent places and mainly from the artisan markets. I might need to throw in some home made chutneys in this year's efforts.
I make the jars look good with circles of cloth cut from a tea towel, hand written labels and try to use nice shaped jars. It looks very professional even if I say so myself, one might even call them fancy!

I made membrillo once (quince jelly), but it was a lot of hard work for very little product. It was lovely though. I can see why it is so expensive to buy.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Someone suggested this-jack has liked it. How about setting up a non profit restaurant (😂)? Earthling Ed set up unity diner-brilliant place, all the profits go to animals. Jack could do the same & just take a reasonable wage? (Obviously never going to happen, those sideboards won’t buy themselves).
She could make it a panio restaurant were people could come and sing and play and when she has the time she could come out and warble her own renditions to her adoring diners. Sounds like a dream.....

Honestly though I do think she should work in a kitchen before she even considers running one. She needs to get a decent feel of a busy kitchen before she can run one.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Wonder if she’s just a savvy haus frau (like us all 😉) trying to get the cost per use of that blender down - seemingly nothing is safe from its blades.

Plus now court is cancelled this restaurant can be the spot for our IRL soirée, BYOImmodium darlings x

• Haha
Reactions: 34
funny thing is you know, we have a local group who cook for the homeless a few nights each week in one of the town car parks. She could get involved in that.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She could make it a panio restaurant were people could come and sing and play and when she has the time she could come out and warble her own renditions to her adoring diners. Sounds like a dream.....
I though that you said she could make it a potatoes restaurant. I was thinking it could be where she serves potatoes cooked in a multitude of ways while she reads aloud her seminal piece, formally known as potatoes. 😂

funny thing is you know, we have a local group who cook for the homeless a few nights each week in one of the town car parks. She could get involved in that.
Haven't they got enough to cope with.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
I make the jars look good with circles of cloth cut from a tea towel, hand written labels and try to use nice shaped jars. It looks very professional even if I say so myself, one might even call them fancy!

I made membrillo once (quince jelly), but it was a lot of hard work for very little product. It was lovely though. I can see why it is so expensive to buy.
Mmmmmm quince.

I love that making jam is your jam, and not cheap wet ham 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I though that said she could make it a potatoes restaurant. I was thinking it could be where she serves potatoes cooked in a multitude of ways while she reads aloud her seminal piece, formally known as potatoes. 😂

Haven't they got enough to cope with.
That two she is by her own admission a jack of all trades

Reactions: 5
Sorry you’ve had a bastard of a week as well ☹ Still, onwards and upwards eh? There’s slop to be made and fruit to burn 😉
I‘m a manager in FE (Beware triangulation) and this is a hell of a few weeks and about to get worse, my early morning grunkas are saving me

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yes, absolutely x

It will just be a greengage sauce - probably pretty tasty because, y'know, it's fruit and sugar, it's hard to go wrong. But it won't be spreadable in the way that jam is. I imagine she'll get round this by finding it SO delicious, she just eats it with a spoon :rolleyes:
Or just dunk that grubby finger in it, a la the anchovy butter of days gone by?

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.