Jack Monroe #58 Schrödinger’s Jack: simultaneously working and sleeping all hours

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That poem, coupled with the picture, is all a bit Virginia Woolf and makes me feel weird. I’m sure that’s the intention.

Jack Monroe, finding new ways to trigger people since 2012.
Yes, exactly most children LEAVE the beach with a pocket of pebbles and shells and dead crab claws. ARRIVING on the edge of the water with your pocket full of stones while the sea curls its lip and beckons you in is a much more disturbing image and she totally bloody knows it.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
The thing is she's she supposed to be having a break from work and her assistant is she still not furloughed?
If so how can she do her patron stuff. She supposed to be off work that means you don't even lift as much as a pen to write a recipie. Doesn't it?
So how can she ask people to subscribe to a service that shouldn't currently be in use due to her having no one to send out the stuff, make the content?

I don't know how it will work?? Sign up to my Patron for stuff, I'm off work at the minute but I will get back to you? Is that what she means?
Even if her assistant is furloughed, that's one less thing Jack Monroe Ltd has to pay for. Furlough monies are claimed back, so the company isn't losing out.

But why is no-one on social media asking that question? How can she be so ill she cannot function, but on the same day update Patreon and be all focused again?

Reactions: 20
You’re all wrong, she’s got loads in common with George Orwell. He got rejected by the BBC too:
C8861E4F-03FF-43F1-9B57-3D9B0D76A080.jpeg

Now duck off!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
She's no Orwell. I'll pop along and check if he's spinning in his grave (triangulation!!) at being compared to someone who can't even use a paragraph.

The Road to Southend Pier is coming isn't it?
Sir John Betjeman loved Southend pier... he is his namesake's thoughts on J's poetry

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
View attachment 201450

Has she done the accompanying video yet? Orwell missed a trick by not exploiting technology, but all of her modern-day poetry peers are nailing it.

Crisps for dinner and a pint of best,
Our soccer club’s better than the rest.
City, United, Albion, Rovers,
Cobbled streets that advertise Hovis.
Knuckle-busters, ASBOs, car-park fights,
Poundland, Asda, bingo nights.
Matchstalk men, matchstalk cats,
Matchstick dogs, and council flats.
Community centres and spray painted swearing,
Harassed policemen and teachers past caring.
Unions, strikes, “Everybody Out!”
I don’t want to.
You’ve got to.
We won’t earn nowt.
Cotton mills and cooling towers,
Old tin baths, no power showers.
A certain pride, a certain swagger,
A fist, a stick, a gun, a dagger.
Giros, glue-sniffing, dogs on ropes,
But I see people, with dreams, with hopes.

She is in this poetry pantheon.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
My friends partner knew nigella and her first husband, he always described her as kind, gentle and shy (the TV persona we see was a very big act in the beginning). She is just being her usual kind self I think with Jack. She probably takes her at face value, like I did before the scales fell from my eyes.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
So Jack has swapped Twitter for Instagram which is a bit like swapping Crystal Meth for Crack Cocaine. 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I think you can't just stop taking antidepressants, one has to slowly reduce the dosage with the guidance of a (real) doctor. I also do not know about ADHS medication. What chemical rollercoaster is she referring to? Would one not have to stop taking these 2 different meds and then introduce new ones?
I don't know about other medications but usually when changing anti depressants one is tapered down in dosage and another added gradually over week or 2 till on new pills .Also would expect to see cpn or go in this time to discuss any side effects

Reactions: 18
When I went to the Dr for burnout he gave me some offered me some sleeping tablets and gave me info about how I deal with my own mental health.

I didn't get offered anything else, perhaps my burnout wasn't as bad as hers.
She was hospitalised and had to resign with the previous burnout and this time a [gender not specified but maybe a Lady] doctor put her straight on the chemical rollercoaster. She's special and SEVERELY burned out.

Are you working 20 hour days and sleeping 22 hours a day? Are you unable to write for months and nearing completion on multiple books while blessing the world with articles ranging about the cost of root veg? Are you happier than you have ever been and howling on the floor at the same time? Are you totally fucked to the point of paralysis and holidaying in Edinburgh at the same time? Do you struggle with the most basic of self care tasks and also post self described "titty pics" and new hair style pics on your socials? If not, you don't even begin to know what burnout is. No wonder your doc didn't give you the golden roller coaster ticket.

(In all seriousness, I'm sorry you were/are struggling and hope you have support and feel better xx)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I'm trying to close some of my tabs because they're getting out of control, so was listening to this before it disappeared into the ether. Haven't finished it yet, but LOL they HATE Jack's book recommendation, they think it's sexist, white saviour bollocks (from about 11 mins in) https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b04p85nn

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
That poetry is SO CRINGE. A cringe so MASSIVE that it felt like my butthole was trying to eat me.

I have to say though - if she gives her Patreon patrons some ACTUAL rewards and manages to create content/send items out, then fair play to her - that's how it should work! I can't really begrudge her that. I was just annoyed that she was getting so much money but not actually giving anything in return. Can't wait to see how it pans out... 😇

Also I had a look at some of her postcards on BigCartel - some of the photos are quite nice and she definitely does have a bit of talent in that regard.

Having said that, I remember there was a whole slew of them that used that dreadful "mosaic" style art filter on them. I can't remember which phone app did this, but it was all the rage a few years ago. See this photo of the garlic for what I mean: https://jackmonroe.bigcartel.com/product/garlic-by-jack-monroe
It just reminds me of when I first got Photoshop and I thought all the filters made everything look super cool, when in fact it was just very obviously a very overused Photoshop filter.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
That poetry is SO CRINGE. A cringe so MASSIVE that it felt like my butthole was trying to eat me.

I have to say though - if she gives her Patreon patrons some ACTUAL rewards and manages to create content/send items out, then fair play to her - that's how it should work! I can't really begrudge her that. I was just annoyed that she was getting so much money but not actually giving anything in return. Can't wait to see how it pans out... 😇

Also I had a look at some of her postcards on BigCartel - some of the photos are quite nice and she definitely does have a bit of talent in that regard.

Having said that, I remember there was a whole slew of them that used that dreadful "mosaic" style art filter on them. I can't remember which phone app did this, but it was all the rage a few years ago. See this photo of the garlic for what I mean: https://jackmonroe.bigcartel.com/product/garlic-by-jack-monroe
It just reminds me of when I first got Photoshop and I thought all the filters made everything look super cool, when in fact it was just very obviously a very overused Photoshop filter.
The only print I'll buy is Celery. Edinburgh.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I don't know about other medications but usually when changing anti depressants one is tapered down in dosage and another added gradually over week or 2 till on new pills .Also would expect to see cpn or go in this time to discuss any side effects
I would have put this in a spoiler alert if it would be considered triggering in any way ,sorry

• Heart
Reactions: 10
This one just screams botulism. My old housemate used to leave opened cans of stuff in the fridge and it would set my teeth on edge. Especially when they were baked beans (I have a legit phobia).

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.