Jack Monroe #541 First do no honk

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A very useful tool, thanks.

Also: always shop with a list (not a stupid quarterhack nonsense) and never shop for food on an empty stomach.
Never shop pre-menstrually or you'll end up with a trolley full of carbs and have to go back for actual dinner ingredients.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
By the time her mememoir comes out she’ll have had to cross the sodding Himalayas on an elephant to get to school. Or was it the Alps? I’m getting my mountain ranges muddled.

Off to nursery, somewhere in Walthamstow in 1994.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I've found price increases to be very variable, and not especially tied to basic vs expensive ranges.
I think it's a combination of fixed costs disproportionately affecting cheap items, and certain food sectors eg dairy having additional cost issues.

Eg sains spaghetti was 28p /500g
Hubbard (their rebranded basics) spag now 56p per kilo ie no change. The fancy Barilla tortellini my son loves were 2.40, now they're 3.50

The biggest increases in my shopping list have been
cream cheese 49p>95p
cat food pouch 179p>319p
cat food pate 22p>39p
Close on doubled.

Surprised* that Jack hasn't picked up on that considering she has a cat and a dog that live with her.
All good points @ForgettyBetty

In my personal budget, I've had to give up salmon and have massively reduced the amount of cheese I eat. And I no longer buy wine (which makes me immensely sad because I rarely eat out and never drink wine in the pub).

I used to post on Twitter quite a bit 🍉 about the challenges of living on benefits. Once, I complained about the astronomical price of cheese and a sympathetic person reached out to me and sent me a voucher for a fancy cheesemonger. That was quite a day! And my one and only accidental social media grift.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I've found price increases to be very variable, and not especially tied to basic vs expensive ranges.
I think it's a combination of fixed costs disproportionately affecting cheap items, and certain food sectors eg dairy having additional cost issues.

Hubbard (their rebranded basics) spag now 56p per kilo ie no change. The fancy Barilla tortellini my son loves were 2.40, now they're 3.50

cream cheese 49p>95p
cat food pouch 179p>319p
cat food pate 22p>39p
Close on doubled.

Surprised* that Jack hasn't picked up on that considering she has a cat and a dog that live with her.
I’m hoping I can just lure in enough amazon drivers to reduce my petfood bills atm…we don’t have pets but keep getting hopeful random scrawny wildlife critterlings turning up opportunistically.

Cheese prices seem to have gone absolutely crazy recently. I think I’m going to have to go to the park and wait for a dealer to pop up.

Salmon is a bit pricey really, but a) I have an autoimmune thing and b) am really gullible and overoptimistic, so as soon as I read about the Next Amazing Thing that’ll magically cure it, I leap on the bandwagon for a few weeks until I get disillusioned and move onto trying Epsom Salts or Mammoth Collagen instead…😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I’m hoping I can just lure in enough amazon drivers to reduce my petfood bills atm…

Cheese prices seem to have gone absolutely crazy recently. I think I’m going to have to go to the park and wait for a dealer to pop up.
Mmmmmmm, stolen sweaty underpants cheese, yummmmm 🧀

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Wow, h

Wow, he looks like an actual human being in those other photos.
I'm still confused by the bodyguard reference unless she thinks everyone with a shaved head is a hard man in the same way that tv directors think working class women aggressively chew chewy at all times. This was around the time she was talking about her rolodex of muscle wasn't it, the beggy desperado.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I'm still confused by the bodyguard reference unless she thinks everyone with a shaved head is a hard man in the same way that tv directors think working class women aggressively chew chewy at all times. This was around the time she was talking about her rolodex of muscle wasn't it, the beggy desperado.
Have we had “The Beggy Desperado” for thread title yet? It feels like we should.

• Haha
Reactions: 18

cream cheese 49p>95p
cat food pouch 179p>319p
cat food pate 22p>39p
Close on doubled.

My friend's daughter will only eat one specific pasta shape that is only available in the premium brands (won't say specifically because 🍉 a friend is unfair). The not basics/hubbards sains pasta I get has risen from 70p/500g to 75p/500g and the premium brand one has gone from £1.50 to £2.

I also think a lot of people don't realise that Tesco and Sainsburys now price match Aldi on a lot of basics and as well as that some basket comparisons have form for comparing Aldi Essentials with Tesco/Sains/Asda etc Regular Brand (or Aldi regular brand with eg Heinz) so it's not actually an even comparison.

In my experience neither Aldi or Lidl is now that much cheaper like for like than the bigger supermarkets and while having only the one option for most things does stop people pricing up and being tempted by a brand the flip side is that if they don't have something you really need you're going to have to go to another supermarket. Whereas in the bigger ones, in most cases you can price up and save another trip (time saving and also often money saving in terms of petrol/public transport costs getting somewhere else).

Reactions: 21
Not the pursuing of it but the spending of donations on it. I can't see ppl who think they subscribe to her to help food poverty having such a broad definition of it that it'd include private elective medical help. All complete speculation but it'd explain where loads of it's gone. She's made no secret of her desire to have another.
What about her private adhd meds she buys every month, though?
Theres no way she wouldn’t breadcrumb her basal temp stats or summat, show a pineapple with clear blues and pink sticks in it, ask “for a friend” about hormone injections. Nah. And she’d let people believe it’s on the NHS.

Reactions: 25
What about her private adhd meds she buys every month, though?
Theres no way she wouldn’t breadcrumb her basal temp stats or summat, show a pineapple with clear blues and pink sticks in it, ask “for a friend” about hormone injections. Nah. And she’d let people believe it’s on the NHS.
Ivf is heavy dough compared with private prescriptions though. I don't know if it's different rules for different health authorities but my mate had successful ivf on NHS so she wasn't entitled to any further rounds- she'd have had to pay. So I don't know if she'd even get it on the NHS with already having had a child.

Reactions: 12
What’s the opposite of a grunk? Where you just skip a few pages, hope for the best, and just dive on in (ir)regardless(ly) with your mithering (pronounced ‘mithering’)?

I feel it needs a name.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Still thinking about supermarket prices 😅 if there is a diagnosed gifted Frau who knows about this I’d love to know more. Is it inevitable that price increases will affect those on lowest incomes the most? Because anyone who is currently making more expensive retail choices has the option to trade down to basics and cut things out, but those who have already done that have no choice left but to bear price increases. If that’s the case what is the VBI meant to do? What policy could change that situation?
Grunking, but.... It would probably need to involve pitchforks. Either so everybody has an allotment and we reduce food miles (suspect some of the uplift in prices involves diesel for deliveries and farming), or we all go a bit Guy Fawkes in Westminster and Whitehall. There may be other options.... Obvs.
---
Basically yes, the lowest income people will always be disproportionately affected but I think the VBI is built on the idea that if you take an item eg pasta, Jack claims the essential range has risen by whatever but there's not been the same price increase on Barilla thus the poor are being targeted/double disadvantaged.

And that's the bit that fundamentally isn't true in many cases. All the ranges are rising and across ranges and supermarkets the rises seem broadly equal for similar products. There may be one or two outlier products that it's true for, but basically the headline really is "Everything is going up".
How would she even know if the expensive ranges are going up if she never buys them and hasn't asked/researched those who do?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
It's nigh on impossible to shop in a way that finds all the best prices and beats the supermarkets -- a lot of their game is befuddling the consumer. So, prices may stay the same but packages shrink in size. Or they'll have a value range but the number of products available will vary or decrease, or they'll suddenly rebrand it so you can't find it anymore.

My mum was a very good household manager and she taught me a couple of things which stand me in good stead:
1. Anything that's on display at the end of the aisle or near the checkout are probably not good value. The store is literally flooding you with those products.
2. Always look at the products stocked either low or high on the shelf because everything that's at eye level is likely the one the shop wants you to buy.
3. Bulk buy if you can, but only if you will use the stuff before it's out of date and you have space for it.
4. Don't look at the price tag but the price by weight. Because that helps you figure out what's lowest price, even though the packages of different brands might also be different sizes.
Look for pasta, for eg, and Barilla will be £0.60/100g and Sainsbury's Own will be £0.40/100g.
It's hard work, initially, but you get used to it and it works both in the shop and online.
This is 100% how I shop. Great advice.
---
What’s the opposite of a grunk? Where you just skip a few pages, hope for the best, and just dive on in (ir)regardless(ly) with your mithering (pronounced ‘mithering’)?

I feel it needs a name.
Monroeing?

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Thinking about it, the last time guest tweeted was the comparatively modest humblebrag after Green Belt and before that was July when she went off on her fruit pastilles Barbie movie adventures. Even though we're counting the silences, it's good to be reminded that her social media engagement has fallen off a cliff in the last year.

Nobody knows what she's been up to and nobody cares, except us. It's very heartening to realise this.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Ah but she has a thrifty tip, buy 110volt electricity and use that to power your fridge freezer, 230v - 110v equals an over 50% energy saving
Next week - the gas in radiators and its household uses, from running your car to spicing up your showers
Has no expert ever pulled her up on this absolute whopper of a mistake?
People have mithered about her bleeping up her exams because she’s lazy, I put it to you that it’s solely because she is a bit thick (on top of a huge ego).

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.