Jack Monroe #509 The Silence of the Scams.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mine was The Alex! I can’t imagine Jack in The Post tbh I see her more trying to fit in at the Railway/Cliff.
I was very fond of The Alex, but I was a very young looking teenager so I had to wait till I was 18 to go most places, including The Alex. Probably for the best because with hindsight I was completely unable to read people with bad intentions (and that inability is one of the ways autism makes even ‘clever’ people more vulnerable) and probably would have got in worse tit if I’d had a wider range of places to meet people with bad intentions.
Jack definitely tried to inveigle herself at the Railway and the Mews. I didn’t go to the Cliff much back in the day (I’m B but unless I’d been specifically invited by an L or G friend to go there I didn’t); maybe she did go there and I just never saw her cos if I was out it probably wasn’t there. But yes to the Railway, very much so, that was the main place I saw her with no friends of her own but trying to get in with people. It is sad really.

P.S. the last time I actually went out when I was back was a Sunday afternoon, and the Alex was like a boring family sort of pub! What’s that about? It had HIGHCHAIRS! 😱

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Hola senoras, senors and otros. Popping in from Le Spain to say, thanks for the thread recaps.

Thanks whoever “bought” those empty seats…I mean - bleeping hell guest! You get asked back because it’s a dull, repetitive, box ticking festival.

Probably got Martin Amis booked for next year with all the due diligence they do!

Como tu estabas 😌

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
This girl is WARNED 😡 for being all up in Jack’s niche.

Oh shut the duck up, how is a "mother of three" foodbank user needing to be schooled by a smug looking (clearly not a girl hence the inclusive bollocks story) university student on using a bleeping kettle or microwave? Absolute bollocks

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I was very fond of The Alex, but I was a very young looking teenager so I had to wait till I was 18 to go most places, including The Alex. Probably for the best because with hindsight I was completely unable to read people with bad intentions (and that inability is one of the ways autism makes even ‘clever’ people more vulnerable) and probably would have got in worse tit if I’d had a wider range of places to meet people with bad intentions.
Jack definitely tried to inveigle herself at the Railway and the Mews. I didn’t go to the Cliff much back in the day (I’m B but unless I’d been specifically invited by an L or G friend to go there I didn’t); maybe she did go there and I just never saw her cos if I was out it probably wasn’t there. But yes to the Railway, very much so, that was the main place I saw her with no friends of her own but trying to get in with people. It is sad really.

P.S. the last time I actually went out when I was back was a Sunday afternoon, and the Alex was like a boring family sort of pub! What’s that about? It had HIGHCHAIRS! 😱
We had a Xmas works party at the Alex. I had a leaving party there as well !! I saw an horrendous injury from a young lass who fell down the steps out the back ! 😑 Really sad about The Railway. Great pub. Husband and I back in the day stumbled upon a party upstairs and joined in. Was good fun.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Oh shut the duck up, how is a "mother of three" foodbank user needing to be schooled by a smug looking (clearly not a girl hence the inclusive bollocks story) university student on using a bleeping kettle or microwave? Absolute bollocks
Tbh I initially thought the same, reading the headline. But if she’s studying dietetics, and is in her final year, then she’s actually well placed to use her knowledge to genuinely help people enhance meals to balance out their nutrient intake better, so this probably isn’t a total waste of time. I think it does have the potential to be useful for some people who have to use food bank food. The suggestions in that article were pretty decent.

I had to learn a little bit about food and nutrients a few years ago (one of my parents developed a disease that meant a lot of lifestyle changes and I wanted to be supportive), and it was an eye opener as to how clueless I was about what a nutritious meal actually is. at a basic level it wasn’t about having salads/“healthy eating” or even whole foods, it was stuff like having decent amounts of protein and fibre in meals at least, I was just a bit ignorant of the detail. I liked cooking but hadn’t given much of any thought to what I was getting out of it.

I would prefer food banks didn’t have to exist, and that everyone had a nice kitchen and the time and facilities and skills to prep nice meals. But while that’s not the case, I think that having nutrition-driven easy guidance for people using food banks is not a bad thing.

And it’s also another little thing to show up Jack (“I don’t do recipe analysis because I’m scared of calories … anyway let them eat rinsed hoops”) Monroe as the useless fraud she is. Not least because Sophie was actually volunteering in a food bank, listened to what one of the clients said about challenges with meal prep, and then went away and came up with something to help. Jack literally could never.

I saw an horrendous injury from a young lass who fell down the steps out the back !
Oh! We were there on the same night!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
While Jack is titting around thinking about recording herself cooking on her phone, she’s completely being overtaken by the younger generation. Loads of great young budget cooks like this around. Tiktok is absolutely full of people doing the £20 challenge, showing people shopping and cooking for their meals with step by step instructions. Absolutely no thirst selfies, cheap toffees, or vague promises about meal plans ‘coming soon’. Most of them are younger, nicer looking, and more socially media savvy than she is too. Her career and her crap blog are just looking more irrelevant and dated by the day.
Yep. And I see so many (and I hate to use this term) 'real' working mums - they've got kids, jobs, activities, lives, and are just getting on with it. Phone propped up on the kitchen bench, normal looking houses, no razzle dazzle, sometimes looking a bit flustered, but making nice food on a realistic budget.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I’m confused- she’s a 21 year old student , nowhere does the article call her a girl ( apologies if it does and I’ve missed it ? )

I’m not a particularly natural cook, and if when I was a struggling single mum , the food bank had given away a pack of recipes tailored towards the foodstuffs usually stocked by that food bank, with suggested recipes I could make, that had been devised by someone studying nutrition, I would have been happy. And more importantly, I wouldn’t have wasted my money on a kickstarter for a cookery book written by a lying grifter

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I'm really hoping with the forthcoming MCU phases that they copyright everything with that name. Sure, it's your legal name, can't change that - but you can't publish anything or appear anywhere with the name as the headline/title, as it could be capitalising upon Marvel's IP.
Haha, like if Jamie Oliver was called Spiderman, and it suddenly became a copyright issue.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
This is what I mean. It’s the repeated pattern on a grand scale that makes it a scam rather than the result of “meaning well but being chaotic and mentally ill” which is what she says when she’s caught out. Same pattern: big heroic promises, solicits money, goes quiet whilst money is spent, pleads severe mental ill health when challenged.

Perhaps “confidence trick” is a better phrase than “scam” because there’s such a big element of emotional manipulation to each episode. She’s more Dirty John than Nigerian Prince.

ETA to add: I don’t think I’m reaching when I say that the scams have got closer together in time, and increasingly sloppily thought out, since the start of 2020 and the break with Louisa. I think that’s interesting too.
I wonder how many begs there were pre-tattle threads that she managed to delete and there’s no record of now.

• Sad
Reactions: 40
I'm really hoping with the forthcoming MCU phases that they copyright everything with that name. Sure, it's your legal name, can't change that - but you can't publish anything or appear anywhere with the name as the headline/title, as it could be capitalising upon Marvel's IP.
They won’t be allowed to. They’ll only be able to trademark it in related fields - so if she was planning to put out a comic book, they’d maybe step in but they won’t be able to stop her publishing a cookbook or memoir or appearing with her own legal name. There’s an author called Peter Parker who has published with no issues.

ETA: and if they tried to stop her publishing a slop tome or appearing under her own name, then she’d likely have lawyers chomping at the bit to take on a case of smol pixie against big bad corp trying to stop a little writer who is just trying to help the poors and is already published from using her own name. It would be like when Vogue sent that pub a cease and desist for having Vogue in their name when they were literally located in a place called Vogue.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Haha, like if Jamie Oliver was called Spiderman, and it suddenly became a copyright issue.
Ha ha there’s a Clarke Kent who’s been to catering college, worked in the kitchens, just got his first Head Chef role and was planning a book, now he’s crying

• Haha
Reactions: 37
They won’t be allowed to. They’ll only be able to trademark it in related fields - so if she was planning to put out a comic book, they’d maybe step in but they won’t be able to stop her publishing a cookbook or memoir or appearing with her own legal name. There’s an author called Peter Parker who has published with no issues.

ETA: and if they tried to stop her publishing a slop tome or appearing under her own name, then she’d likely have lawyers chomping at the bit to take on a case of smol pixie against big bad corp trying to stop a little writer who is just trying to help the poors and is already published from using her own name. It would be like when Vogue sent that pub a cease and desist for having Vogue in their name when they were literally located in a place called Vogue.
Or when Lewis Hamilton finally outed himself as a self-important little twit by trying to stop a watchmaker using "his" surname despite Hamilton watches being founded 100 years before he was born.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
The thread on the mum site has descended into loads of posters asking for codes to join tattle 🤣 the slopalong threads are popular so great work, Lads!
<waves to lurkers>
IMG_0846.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 82
I was listening to The Moral Maze on Radio 4 last night and it was about s*ic*de.

It was quite interesting tbh. Anyway one contributer (can't remember who it was) said the continual dangling of it and using the threat of it specifically to make others feel worried and guilty was, in their words, 'morally repugnant'.
(Obviously this doesn't include those in genuine turmoil and talking about it. Of course it is best to talk about it if possible ❤).

Just made me think of guest and the way she sometimes behaves when cornered. It is such a horrible thing to throw out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I was just sharing someone who was doing exactly what Jack claims she does (but doesn’t) and I didn’t even say anything positive about it…I actually think the recipes sound pretty grim and are probably Jack-like if we’re being honest. I said girl because the person is called Sophie and is referred to as “she”, I don’t know what this person looks like as I don’t recall seeing a photo of them. Not sure that meant I deserved to be told to shut the duck up.

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.