Jack Monroe #462 Tectonic plates make less fuss about moving

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Humble Sausage Pie.
There is NO seasoning. None. No salt or pepper or indeed anything.
Baffling.
Another ‘dangerous tip‘. Shouldn’t you at least wear some sort of protective glove, if the ingredient you’re finely slicing is ‘sausages cooking’? 🤷‍♂️ See you in the ER, y’all.

8FF09AB1-2C7E-4A21-B47D-DC0C1E05B650.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Jack's recipe for prawn cocktail is frozen prawns mixed with ready-made, shop-bought seafood sauce 😂
Seafood sauce is literally just mayo and ketchup, plus whatever amount of tabasco, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice you fancy! It's the condiment version of puttanesca! You're meant to be able to easily make it from cupboard ingredients! It's more wasteful and expensive to buy pre-mixed stuff!

Also the idea of grilled *tinned* grapefruit is genuinely distressing.

EDIT: I also regularly make prawn cocktail for my family (🍉🦐) and that recipe is the biggest faff I've ever seen. All you need for a good prawn cocktail are big fat prawns, seafood sauce, and lettuce and maybe avocado for the salad, served with a wedge of lemon. It should take 10 minutes to make, tops, it should be simple.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 72
I do hope she doesn’t spend half the day sleeping on the sofa from a) getting slowly and gently squiffy last night b) spending until the early hours honking ❄ c) hoofing one too many trammies d) getting a middle of the night burger caller e) doing some online night sideboard spaffing - I cannot wait to see how smarmy she is about the Express advertorial.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Jack's topping for her sticky lemon pudding is lemon curd mixed with *melted butter* 😩 :sick:
Quoting myself because I've only just worked out what she's done here - she's ~adapted~ the recipe for a toffee sauce, like you'd get on a sticky toffee pudding, using lemon curd instead of sugar and cream and mixing it with butter. She doesn't understand toffee. Literally.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
"duck the tories!! duck the right wing press! Unless you're paying me. In which case, crack on"

How much do conservative think tanks pay their commission members/consultants do we think?
She was included as a representative of the grifting community

• Haha
Reactions: 40
No way I’m eating defrosted prawns that have been left for two days 🤢 I have a cast iron stomach but prawns are not to be pissed about with!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
The get up and go muffins is short for get up and go to the toilet to immediately tit isn’t it?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Quoting myself because I've only just worked out what she's done here - she's ~adapted~ the recipe for a toffee sauce, like you'd get on a sticky toffee pudding, using lemon curd instead of sugar and cream and mixing it with butter. She doesn't understand toffee. Literally.
You just know she thinks this is the most wonderfully maverick hack ever too, and she’s proud as punch nobody else has ever thought of it. Not realising of course that anyone who has would realise it wouldn’t work and discard it.

• Haha
No way I’m eating defrosted prawns that have been left for two days 🤢 I have a cast iron stomach but prawns are not to be pissed about with!
The only time I have ever been really ill from food was defrosted prawns. I'm still loath to buy and eat them to this day which is a shame as I love them!

Does she mean ‘cooking’ sausages like when she says ‘cooking bacon’?
Sausages- another typesetting error, it should be
sausages
cooking oil

Eta it's funny because she specifies cooking oil (vs baby oil or motor lube), and yet the 5* reviews talk about her not being patronising, and giving clear explanations.

• Haha
Reactions: 55
I see they’ve included the lemon and rosemary potatoes that contain no rosemary 😂
And a humble sausage pie that says your shortcrust pastry can be pre-made shop bought stuff or home made but doesn’t give a recipe for how to make your own. It’s almost as if Jack doesn’t know how.

• Haha
Reactions: 66
also (and trying as ever to keep criticism to the recipes, not the creator) (insert your own Frankenstein's monster joke here):

...That potato salad is a war crime. That amount of sliced white onions will completely overwhelm everything else; also we are back again to the potential danger of exploding tinned potatoes in the microwave. Also why add generic 'light oil'? Presumably there'll be some oil from wherever the anchovies have come from, and the idea of sunflower oil in a dressing is properly horrible. Once again we return to the complete lack of understanding that different oils are used in different ways in cookery - some for cooking, some for consuming as is. This is like the Wario version of "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat".

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 54
Jack's recipe for prawn cocktail is frozen prawns mixed with ready-made, shop-bought seafood sauce 😂
I had to go back to that because I couldn’t quite believe it. Reading the whole recipe and method, I think my eyebrows have now LEFT my face. If you’re feeling fastidious you could, instead of quartering the cherry tomatoes, cut them into EIGHTS. Surely if you were feeling fastidious you’d mix mayonnaise, ketchup, lemon juice and have your own cocktail sauce?
Pan fry the grapefruit in its own juice or solid fat - it’s impossible to say how long for because everyone’s pans are different.
once it’s all prepared, pop it in the fridge until you want to eat it.
by which time, the liquid from the prawns, the lettuce, cucumber and grapefruit will have pooled in the bottom and you’ll have a watery plate 🤮

who pays her for this?! bleeping HELL.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 71
And a humble sausage pie that says your shortcrust pastry can be pre-made shop bought stuff or home made but doesn’t give a recipe for how to make your own. It’s almost as if Jack doesn’t know how.
If you're really skint making your own pastry is a life saver. Flour and lard are still very cheap and means you can make a meal from very little. This is the kind of thing I'd expect a real 'thrifty' cook to write about.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
My eyes are bleary (send coffee-os) but does the non-rosemary roast potatoes really say to cook them for one and a half hours?? 90 mins??

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.