Jack Monroe #458 This addled lie factory is on another level

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Remember when she said she’d met the queen more than once.
That’s two women who’ve recently died that Jack had stories about that couldn’t refute it because they were unalive…. Funny that.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
This is a good question and we’ll each have different answers to it.

for me, the reason I’m not depressed by it enough to disengage is kind of divided into two things.

First, Jack herself. I knew her a bit for a while, and I know plenty of people who have known her since. It doesn’t depress me that she’s never going to have what she really truly wants, which is popularity and respect. When I knew her she was (and I’m sorry because I know this is going to come across bitchy but I’m TIRED and don’t have the brainpower spare to parse it in a non-bitchy way) a social reject, desperate to be part of the popular crowd, desperate to be seen/accepted as a creative. Southend had and still has a thriving arts and music scene, which Jack was always trying to wedge herself into but failing because she wasn’t any good at what she wanted to do, and she wasn’t nice/likeable enough to be accepted into that scene despite having no real talent in the fields, like moi and certain other friends who were also lacking in that sort of talent or skill. What we lacked in creative ability we made up in humour or warmth or whatever. She didn’t get a pass for any of that because she didn’t have any of that. She’s never evolved past wanting to be popular, but nobody else cared about popularity in the first place never mind now. I’d probably feel sorry for her if she wasn’t grifting so much money out of people. But however much money she’s grifted and spunked, it won’t make her happy, and she hasn’t got it in her to actually do the hard work - reflect and grow and become a good (and happy) person. She’s just going to continue pretending about everything in her life, instead of living a real and genuine and worthwhile life. It’s sad. But also, she’s a bleep so it’s more “look at what a sad example this is” than ”oh I feel sad for her”.

Second, and I know I do go on about this aspect a bit but bear with me: the phenomenon of Jack Monroe, how she arose to this level of fame (and stuff like how she was ever considered credible enough to give “evidence” to Parliament ffs 🤯) is just absolutely bloody fascinating. The media didn’t create her but they grew her. Journalism and social studies and whatnot is so far out of my wheelhouse that it might as well be in the Antarctic, but regardless I’m thinking about pitching a PhD on the topic of Jack Monroe and the wholly distorted media lens on social class that magnified her to his extent 😂 Of course I’d have a challenge to find a supervisor who wasn’t part of the problem in the first place, never mind funding. (Plus, I’m a bit of a gobshite who sounds kind of like Stacey Solomon, so I’m not really a natural fit for academia. Plus, actual single mum so can’t afford a PhD, but anyway a girl can dream. I won’t be at all upset if any lurkers or Frauen take my research idea forward for themselves! 😉)
Love this. I also would love to do a PHD on the cult of social media influencers and the damage that they do to themselves and others. It would include the bubble that they live in and why tattle exists- basically it's not all trolling!

Although the fact that I can't quite explain this clearly would suggest that I'm possibly not the best person to undertake this study. 🤣

There would be a chapter on grifting money with lies, as sadly she isn't actually the only one doing it!

• Heart
Reactions: 48

for me, the reason I’m not depressed by it enough to disengage is kind of divided into two things.

First, Jack herself. I knew her a bit for a while, and I know plenty of people who have known her since. It doesn’t depress me that she’s never going to have what she really truly wants, which is popularity and respect. When I knew her she was (and I’m sorry because I know this is going to come across bitchy but I’m TIRED and don’t have the brainpower spare to parse it in a non-bitchy way) a social reject, desperate to be part of the popular crowd, desperate to be seen/accepted as a creative. Southend had and still has a thriving arts and music scene, which Jack was always trying to wedge herself into but failing because she wasn’t any good at what she wanted to do, and she wasn’t nice/likeable enough to be accepted into that scene despite having no real talent in the fields, like moi and certain other friends who were also lacking in that sort of talent or skill. What we lacked in creative ability we made up in humour or warmth or whatever. She didn’t get a pass for any of that because she didn’t have any of that. She’s never evolved past wanting to be popular, but nobody else cared about popularity in the first place never mind now. I’d probably feel sorry for her if she wasn’t grifting so much money out of people. But however much money she’s grifted and spunked, it won’t make her happy, and she hasn’t got it in her to actually do the hard work - reflect and grow and become a good (and happy) person. She’s just going to continue pretending about everything in her life, instead of living a real and genuine and worthwhile life. It’s sad. But also, she’s a bleep so it’s more “look at what a sad example this is” than ”oh I feel sad for her”.

Second, and I know I do go on about this aspect a bit but bear with me: the phenomenon of Jack Monroe, how she arose to this level of fame (and stuff like how she was ever considered credible enough to give “evidence” to Parliament ffs 🤯) is just absolutely bloody fascinating. The media didn’t create her but they grew her. Journalism and social studies and whatnot is so far out of my wheelhouse that it might as well be in the Antarctic, but regardless I’m thinking about pitching a PhD on the topic of Jack Monroe and the wholly distorted media lens on social class that magnified her to his extent 😂 Of course I’d have a challenge to find a supervisor who wasn’t part of the problem in the first place, never mind funding. (Plus, I’m a bit of a gobshite who sounds kind of like Stacey Solomon, so I’m not really a natural fit for academia. Plus, actual single mum so can’t afford a PhD, but anyway a girl can dream. I won’t be at all upset if any lurkers or Frauen take my research idea forward for themselves! 😉)
Thanks so much for this! Really, REALLY interesting! Re the phd, I think you basically get paid to do them so i’d look into it - there’s some kind of site that matches students with organisations that fund them I believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
coming from the past (p16), but wtf are some of you doing to your scrambled eggs that'll make them into bullets after 6 minutes???? 😳

obviously, i never apply mayonnaise because that's stupid 🤢, but jack is unfortunately correct that scrambled eggs should done slooooowwwwly over a low heat and 6-7mins is nowhere near enough

mine take 15-20 mins over a v low heat and they are the bleeping best

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Coconut sugar is mentioned a lot in vegan bakery. Its expensive but I sometimes pick it up from TK Maxx of all places.

Vegan because "normal" sugar isn't often considered vegan because of the bones used to grind it (I think)
British sugar is bone char free, European too but it's harder to find in the US.

• Wow
Reactions: 26
My theory is that she's sent bugger all out and if anyone really vocally complains about them not turning up, she'll actually send the postcards to them in a performative way.
Maybe this is the tour. She’s personally delivering the postcards to save on postage. Thrifty.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I have just returned from a visit to Frauland 🔺🍉, saw this at the airport and obvs thought of the canal:

7490AB63-F049-4A79-B162-661AF16E4AB9.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 112
Surely those pretend emails should be going to Adrian? Also, Jack should marry a neck beard and have done with it.

Reactions: 36

I've often thought that there's a PhD in this. You can get funded ones.

Reactions: 32
Tbh I don’t care if she’s paypigged by the Patreon idiots for the next few years. They’ve had the info, if they want to fund a shark-eyed loser on the vanishing chance she’ll shag them that’s fine by me. I want the PayPal begs to stop and any single hint of financial hardship shut down straight away.

It won’t happen because she can’t resist being a victim. But I hope the HMRC have got her firmly in their sights.
I believe pikachu James is HMRC adjacent, but I may be hallucinating, I hope he polks the hornet nest, from a financial point

Reactions: 43
I called into Sainsbury’s earlier on my way home from work and saw evidence of the work of another Frau.

Can’t see Grifty Kitchen:View attachment 1871432

But wait! Look what’s hiding behind Pinch of Vom on the second shelf….
View attachment 1871436

For a moment I thought of moving the book but then I came to my senses. Well done, nameless Frau.
I had to nip back into Tesco today and saw the staff have not uncovered my mischief, Grifty Kitchen is still being obscured by that man's books in reverse LJC style.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
I think we should all club together buy a duck off big vineyard and produce our own wine - the range will be carefully curated around JMs recipes. Suggestions for wine names on a postcard with 50p taped to the back will be carefully considered … thinking the budget red could be a cheeky little number probably likely going to rip your ouchy mouthy to pieces with the acidic tart enamel removing level of pure bile … best served with chickpea and peaches (never did I think I’d type those words) curry or possibly used to disinfect the plates once the aforementioned curry has been scarped in the bin. “Sarf End Signature Red” - I shall be selling shares, send cashos x
I like the idea of a very dark red wine named Funny Funeral that tastes of grief and tears with a slight upnote of laughter through the tears. I don't drink red wine so SHAN'T be doing a taste test but trust me it's great and you get additional blue lips and purple teeth so no 77 lipsticks required the morning after you've sloshed a bucket of it down the night before. Maybe a cabernet sauvignon (fancy) x

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Thanks so much for this! Really, REALLY interesting! Re the phd, I think you basically get paid to do them so i’d look into it - there’s some kind of site that matches students with organisations that fund them I believe.
Yep - though I reckon you’d need a pretty niche funding body for this sort of thing!
I did actually look into a doctorate for career progression (and to increase my earning ability) but can’t make it work. EDIT to clarify NOT a doctorate in Monroe studies, haha, I’ve got my own professional niche and I’ll stay here even if it does my head in sometimes. I even went as far as finding a supervisor. I’ve got an excellent proposal, novel approach/methodology, someone willing to go to bat to get me funding, but it all falls apart because of childcare.

I work FT and have to claim Universal Credit top-up for part-reimbursement of my childcare costs. Single parent, so no other household income. The DWP doesn’t consider conducting doctoral research to be “work”, so it won’t allow UC to reimburse any childcare costs, because if you’re doing a PhD you’re not “in work” as far as it’s concerned. (Which is silly really because at the point of doctoral study you’re an independent researcher producing original work, who gets to attend a few skill-building classes a month. It is work, certainly more work than some of the fuckwits I’ve had to deal with today do.) Almost all PhD funding comes with the stipulation you have to do the PhD full-time otherwise you lose your funding, so you can’t do a funded PhD part-time whilst working part time a few days a week to restore your UC childcare eligibility.

Doctoral study is just not doable for most people with young kids and no financial cushion, never mind lone parents, never mind lone parents who are from a poor background and really have no access to the financial or social capital needed to get grants and supervision and work it all around childcare. And so academic output continues to be largely unrepresentative of real-world issues, because so many of us with enough interest in (and experiential knowledge of) real-world issues aren’t able to conduct research; and published research informs policy; and round and round we go. I’ve read a few good ethnographic studies in my area of expertise (only a few, sadly - so so many are just utter ivory tower shite) but even then the researchers were basically curious poshos doing their best to understand the difficulties of poors. Which is better than nothing. But, also, it would have been even better, almost certainly with more useful conclusions and recommendations for policymakers, if some of us poors had a chance to do it for ourselves.

Another edit to add, it’s not just the DWP/UC that’s the barrier for me, it’s the combination of the DWP’s stance that they won’t assist parents to access higher ed beyond undergrad PLUS the funding bodies’ lack of flexibility wrt part-time PhD funding. I am so passionate about my topic that I’d probably get it done in not much longer than a full-time PhD anyway, because I would genuinely want to spend my free time working on it. Would happily do 2.5-3 days a week in a “proper” job and do my research the other days/evenings/3am/whenever, but the funding streams just aren’t there for that

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.