Jack Monroe #458 This addled lie factory is on another level

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh she’s awake!! Ignoring the coins thing of course and sneakily asking if it’s safe to talk about the recipes yet!
She’s a fool if she thinks this is going away.
I was so cross when I saw her brazenly post this morning asking if it was safe to talk about the recipes yet.
Just the sheer arrogance of pushing her crappy food when all around her are lies and actual people who have been ripped off by her! It makes my head explode!

I HOPE that she is deluged with people recounting how bad her recipes actually are.
The bird equivalent of a slopalong. She really has asked for it.

Reactions: 71
Here is the contents page.
I don't own many cook books tbh, the ones I do own are different to this.

Theres actually 274 pages in Thrifty Kitchen
The recipes span 26-212
Thank yous start at 269 and run for 3 pages.

The ratio of recipes to book is pretty low. By my limited calculations, 186 of the 272 pages are the 'recipe section' but some recipes take up just one page with a photo on a second.

Forensic.. 🤪

Attachments

Reactions: 29
P6IY-xrW.jpg

OK let's talk about the food Jack. Why is the ice cream in the bowl and on the inexplicably upturned cone a different colour from the one in the tin? Why is one lot served in a slice on a plate and being eaten with a fork? Who eats ice cream with a fork?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 97
Mama Mia, her puttanesca recipe is tit!! I can picture her doing it on This Morning and Gino having some kind of breakdown 😭

Jack, you wanted to talk about the recipes, yeah? Well maybe let’s talk about why you think it’s necessary to put sardines that are already cooked, into 600ml of liquid and then cook for 30 mins? Why, also, would you use x2 tins of sardines, when you could use the stronger saltier (and correct for a cultural recipe!!!) flavour of x1 tin of chopped anchovies that are sold in Sainsbury’s for 90p a tin? You’re not saving money, because you’re using x2 of the alternative.

If you’re being thrifty, why would you have the gas on for 30 mins when 10-15 would suffice? Oh, wait, I know the answer! It’s because you’ve used way too much liquid (600ml) and need to reduce down the unnecessary volume 🤷‍♀️

Why is your puttanesca devoid of any of the things that would give a depth of flavour? It’s supposed to be cooked with onions and garlic, with parsley added at the end. All we seem to have here, is mashed 🤢 fish boiled into tinned tomatoes for half an hour.

Puttanesca is supposed to strike a lovely balance between being rich in flavour, but light and fresh, salty, with pops of zing here and there. Why am I cooking pre-cooked, mashed sardines for so long? Won’t the sauce just become a slop? Apologise to the whores of Naples, now! WARNED.

PS, after your bread and jam bullshit in the ice cream recipe, you could have at least treated us to a history of puttanesca (bleep’s sauce) and how it ties in with your definitely not made up experience of being a sex worker. Missed an opportunity to talk about yourself there pal.

View attachment 1870622
Please can we refer to it as Sex Worker sauce? Maybe Jack got the maverick and innovative idea for this age old traditional Italian recipe during her imaginary job selling sex? Makes you think.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
FFS, my New Year’s resolution to read 537 books is off to a really bad start because of all the chaos! I’m barely able to keep up with my work, let alone anything else as I’m having to grunk solidly. Please be quiet for a while Jack 🙏🙏🙏

• Haha
Reactions: 38
You knowwwwww...
I haven't returned the book yet.... Sooooo....

Photos of recipes *for review purposes* is possible.. time consuming, but possible...

I'd not want to flood threads with photos of the food, unless anyone's trying to lose weight of course, guaranteed appetite suppressant.
@Sweetpea was asking for the marmite crumpet recipe on the slopalong thread (sorry, don’t know how to link).

Reactions: 17
View attachment 1870638

OK let's talk about the food Jack. Why is the ice cream in the bowl and on the inexplicably upturned cone a different colour from the one in the tin? Why is one lot served in a slice on a plate and being eaten with a fork? Who eats ice cream with a fork?
Not only does the stuff in the bowl look like margarine; that scoop has seen better days. 🤮

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 28
So after those bots spew out some her recipes, she wants to talk about them. I smell something fishy...
you called?

Thank you for picking up my slack after the chaos, @MoistenedGussets

I cannot believe we're only TEN days in to the year and we've already had (in no particular order):
MUA chaos/coin chaos
Recipe bot chaos
Andy chaos
Spaniel friend chaos (congratulating Jack on her first 'buy' for those who missed it)
Drinking/Patreon money timeline chaos
Metro, Graun, Spiked, Daily Mail & Times articles - plus a load of 'Pan Mac/TT pulled this book because it's dangerous' click pieces
Tramadol chaos
Degree chaos
Pub interview/it was snowing chaos
Knife/tin & opener chaos (honorable mention to carabiner chaos)

I'm sure I've missed a few, but no wonder Jack hasn't been able to work on the VBI.... she's certainly been busy!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 87
View attachment 1870638

I would hazard a guess that the ice-cream has been gently rolled in crisp, scramptious, lovingly toasted (over a solar bulb) cornflakes that gave way in the bottom of the box.
All that tutty cutlery in her "meagre" home and a fork for ice cream?!! really?! How we will we mash the potatoes?

• Haha
Reactions: 37
View attachment 1870638

And where did the slice come from, since it clearly hasn’t come from the serving dish?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I know it's been mentioned on here before but her 2011-2013 POVERTY timeline isn't very evident on her old Insta account. There's a photography exhibition, 2 kittens, various cakes in October 2012, a very healthy looking SB eating bread and jam in September 2012, a holiday cottage in August 2013 with another picture of a healthy looking SB tucking into pasta..... But (in her own words, there are receipts) she was also living without lightbulbs or heating for those two years 🤷‍♀️

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
Mama Mia, her puttanesca recipe is tit!! I can picture her doing it on This Morning and Gino having some kind of breakdown 😭

Jack, you wanted to talk about the recipes, yeah? Well maybe let’s talk about why you think it’s necessary to put sardines that are already cooked, into 600ml of liquid and then cook for 30 mins? Why, also, would you use x2 tins of sardines, when you could use the stronger saltier (and correct for a cultural recipe!!!) flavour of x1 tin of chopped anchovies that are sold in Sainsbury’s for 90p a tin? You’re not saving money, because you’re using x2 of the alternative.

If you’re being thrifty, why would you have the gas on for 30 mins when 10-15 would suffice? Oh, wait, I know the answer! It’s because you’ve used way too much liquid (600ml) and need to reduce down the unnecessary volume 🤷‍♀️

Why is your puttanesca devoid of any of the things that would give a depth of flavour? It’s supposed to be cooked with onions and garlic, with parsley added at the end. All we seem to have here, is mashed 🤢 fish boiled into tinned tomatoes for half an hour.

Puttanesca is supposed to strike a lovely balance between being rich in flavour, but light and fresh, salty, with pops of zing here and there. Why am I cooking pre-cooked, mashed sardines for so long? Won’t the sauce just become a slop? Apologise to the whores of Naples, now! WARNED.

PS, after your bread and jam bullshit in the ice cream recipe, you could have at least treated us to a history of puttanesca (bleep’s sauce) and how it ties in with your definitely not made up experience of being a sex worker. Missed an opportunity to talk about yourself there pal.

View attachment 1870622
Other issues a standard puttanesca uses 5 anchovy fillets (53p a tin with approx 15-20 in at Aldi vs 49p for a tin of sardines at Aldi and she uses two tins), she doesn’t drain the sardines so incredibly oily plus more costly than proper.

Says use any olives, for puttanesca black are best - since cost the same why no guidance to those new to the recipe?

No garlic, onions or capers which are base flavour of original.

Bizarelly adds lemon juice or any vinegar (so cut through the oil???) which are just additional strong flavours no puttanesca would have and additional ingredients to find. Maybe trying to replace the capers?

Adds random 200ml of stock, no puttanesca recipe does this just makes it very wet - may be an attempt to add flavour - doesn’t matter what flavour it seems (“vegetable, fish or chicken stock”)

Very long and expensive cooking times compared to original as non of ingredients actually need additional cooking other than pasta. Maybe an attempt to burn off the excess liquid.

No chilli flakes as per normal puttanesca. So no onion, capers, garlic or chilli but a lot of oil mixed with potentially green olives and malt vinegar.

You really would be better off buying a ready pasta sauce and adding sardines.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 88
So it is more or less taken as fact here and on the hellsite that she uses cocaine.
Which she is steadfastly ignoring. Yet had an almighty flounce over her mum's potatoes.

Really makes you think.

• Haha
Reactions: 70
Lets talk about the recipes then.

Instant mash and cheese?

The chicken recipe Andy said is just following the instructions.

Wish someone would show her the slop along.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I’m at that snacky bit between my 8am breakfast and my 1pm lunch. I’m trying not to snack, to get rid of the Christmas pounds which softly gently attached themselves to my delicate arse.

So THANK SPACE YOU to Jack, the Metro and Tattle for posting Over Boiled Partially Deboned Wet Tomato Pasta because now I don’t even fancy a brew 🤮

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.