Jack Monroe #447 Can’t even tell the truth about owning her own book

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That poor kid. He must have hoped she’d forget about the eels if he said he wasn’t up to it on Christmas Day. But no. 😕

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
It's a ring for frying eggs in so they have a neat round shape. It's not a nickname Jack has made up for her hole or anything mucky.
But it does sort of bring into question why it’s a thrifty tip. I obviously can’t speak for everyone who has ever been poor but I can say in the times I was struggling whilst I did bemoan my lack of some kitchen equipment (hand mixer was a big one) I never once stood frying an egg completely bereft at the fact it was not perfectly round. So why would anyone care enough to bother to make their own?

At least with her tin opening tip I can see why someone might need to, you know, open a tin.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 90
Happy New Year canal-dwelling ninnies! I hope 2023 brings you all an egg ring of your own!

(And health, happiness and a great public unmasking of the Queen of Long Term Grifting, obviously xx)

• Heart
Reactions: 45
But it does sort of bring into question why it’s a grifty tip. I obviously can’t speak for everyone who has ever been poor but I can say in the times I was struggling whilst I did bemoan my lack of some kitchen equipment (hand mixer was a big one) I never once stood frying an egg completely bereft at the fact it was not perfectly round. So why would anyone care enough to bother to make their own?

At least with her tin opening tip I can see why someone might need to, you know, open a tin.
I think she decided to produce a great big book and just shoved any old thing in, in the end.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
I'm still baffled as to why egg rings are a handy bit of thrifty kitchen kit? Admittedly I do own 2 egg rings. But as my Old Harold pointed out, I bought them when he came over all FANCY and made crumpets. But even then they weren't essential to the recipe. Send explaineos 🙃.
Don't shop bought egg rings have a handle to lift them off the eggs? How do you get the egg out? I would think the metal would get hot hot hotty hot.

Has Jack welded a handle to the tuna can?.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Is now the time to admit I don’t even know what an egg ring is? Just curious
It stops your fried eggs from spreading when you crack them into the pan and makes them nice and round. But you don’t really need one if you actually use a hot pan and add the eggs slowly. There you go Jack, first tip for your new book. Send £19.99-os.

• Haha
Reactions: 61
I moved out in 1986, I've never felt the need to use an egg ring. I've just cooked fried eggs for Mr Walkdengirl and myself, they were lovely fresh eggs and they were round without using a ring I do have some crumpet rings that I bought in a mad moment during lockdown that have been used once, I suppose if needed I could use those but there really is no need.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Don't shop bought egg rings have a handle to lift them off the eggs? How do you get the egg out? I would think the metal would get hot hot hotty hot.

Has Jack welded a handle to the tuna can?.
She uses her cloths made out of glued together t-shirts as oven gloves #handyhack

• Haha
Reactions: 43
I have two days of festive annual leave left and just had an idea which I’m regretting as I’m posting it. It involved tuna, eggs and the wood axe in my garage…

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Facts:
1) She did not make that pastry. Rough puff or otherwise.
2) TP-B is a dick. Can't say any more than that but he is.
3) Andy Lynes is a decent, level-headed guy with connections in the industry. We couldn't be more vindicated in our opinion of Jack, knowing he agrees with us.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 88
Can't wait til people start taking their fingers off on her advice and some sort of class action lawsuit kicks off. I've still got a lack of feeling in my index finger from trying to open a tin with a kitchen knife and a spoon when I was a drunk uni student. It did work though!

Eta: What's this about eels, dare I ask?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and I know a lot of you will be shocked and upset by this but is it just possible that Jack hasn't even tried the egg rings hack?
Not sure what that American lady Jack nicked it off was on about either, or before Jack starts saying it’s a special hack for all her Tblisi Church Supper followers...

(Please sing spoiler title to tune of Lenny Kravitz’ American Woman)
Just like the rounded UK tuna cans, here are a FANCY, mid range and value tuna, all with lovely, lovely rounded bottoms (or in the case of the fancy one, a rounded top cos you turn it upside down and open its bottom (oooh Matron). So no egg ring making here.

(And before she says she meant salmon cans, our salmon cans are rounded like this too)
45205B95-6CA8-43A4-9AAA-494A27239532.jpeg
ED76ACE0-B448-4920-A078-61E66EC1A6A6.jpeg
146CE112-4A65-4E68-8DA1-30CD2319C4A1.jpeg

PS I’ve deliberately put a Chicken of the Sea in there instead of Starkist to confuse Jack, who will now start telling everyone tuna are just chickens with fins instead of wings/are interchangeable. And she’s too lazy to click to open this spoiler, so HA!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 47
New thread, new year, new … Jack?

Thanks for the title go to @Pantomimehorse for this post https://tattle.life/threads/jack-monroe-446-egg-rings-in-america-wo-ah.36244/post-13297440 and @Emmapism for nominating. Do you like sausage rolls? You both win fifty of them.

Jack hailed in the new year with a perky pile of sossy rolls, some cups of tea and a lorra lols with her sober pals.

Please add to the recap!

Imagine trying to prove to everyone you have mates. Its tragic.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
But it does sort of bring into question why it’s a thrifty tip. I obviously can’t speak for everyone who has ever been poor but I can say in the times I was struggling whilst I did bemoan my lack of some kitchen equipment (hand mixer was a big one) I never once stood frying an egg completely bereft at the fact it was not perfectly round. So why would anyone care enough to bother to make their own?

POOR PEOPLE CAN HAVE ROUND EGGS TOO.

• Haha
Reactions: 73
I have two days of festive annual leave left and just had an idea which I’m regretting as I’m posting it. It involved tuna, eggs and the wood axe in my garage…
Will you be documenting this with photos or a short video?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
Eta: What's this about eels, dare I ask?
I’m sincerely sorry you missed it ❤ About three threads ago, pre-Xmas, JM posted some liquor she was making that was 1. Made with the wrong herb and B. Clearly coloured with food colouring. It was for her and SB (and masses of chums’?) Xmas lunch of eels and pie n mash. And that was the last anyone heard of it until the tweet above, we were on to something else as per. THE EELS WERE GLOSSED OVER.

Eels eels eels eels eels 🙊

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 49
POOR PEOPLE CAN HAVE ROUND EGGS TOO.
Jack in about half an hour:

"My haters are now attacking poor people and saying they should get their benefits stopped if they have egg rings. Please, I beg of you stop the hate"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.