Jack Monroe #446 Egg rings in America WO-AH

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She hadn’t just come back though had she? SB was a few years old when she quit?

I’ve done FW requests, for others and myself. The one thing you have to remember is they need to be done in a timely fashion. You can’t just say ‘I want to be part time’ from next week, it can take a while to sort out.
being unreliable and having a poor sick record though does effect whether they will give you what you want, not officially, but it does.

She mentions moving to admin positions. I wonder if she was even qualified for them though.
IIRC (haven't seen my friend in years) she had SB but also had a partner who looked after him so did return from her maternity. Sometime later she split with Partner and had no childcare for nights. She wanted a job share I think but didn't have anyone to jobshare with then wanted days because of getting the train to work/nighttime childcare issues. None of that could be accommodated (it was hard enough for staff who had been there years to do this and Jack by all accounts had been there 5 mins before getting pregnant) anyway she threw her toy out and went off with stress for months and was trying to negotiate a return all of which I understand was embarrassing for Big D at the time. Then the woman in charge of control retired and some new fella came in and thought she was trouble and I think the ultimatum was, this is all that is on the table and she resigned then changed her mind and he didn't want her back....pretty sure she didn't get along with all her watch either...so I think it was a welcome relief....as I say it has been some time but those are the bits I remember her telling me. As for an admin job I think the salary was too low in comparison and she would still have to apply for it because I remember that caused some sort of situation as well but can't quite remember what. My friend would literally rage about this anytime it was suggested that Jack "lost her job" as she insinuated early on!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 130
She hadn’t just come back though had she? SB was a few years old when she quit?

She mentions moving to admin positions. I wonder if she was even qualified for them though.
She also mentions moving to a fire service “media” position. I don’t think lack of qualifications or experience has ever been a concern for her, or something she can even fathom. She even seemed to think back in 2012 there were things for which she was “overqualified”, though even right up to this day, duck knows what on earth those would be.

I literally can’t think of a single thing 34 year old Jack Monroe has “too much experience in” or is “overqualified for”. I don’t think “being a bleepis an actual job description.

• Haha
Reactions: 81
IIRC (haven't seen my friend in years) she had SB but also had a partner who looked after him so did return from her maternity. Sometime later she split with Partner and had no childcare for nights. She wanted a job share I think but didn't have anyone to jobshare with then wanted days because of getting the train to work/nighttime childcare issues. None of that could be accommodated (it was hard enough for staff who had been there years to do this and Jack by all accounts had been there 5 mins before getting pregnant) anyway she threw her toy out and went off with stress for months and was trying to negotiate a return all of which I understand was embarrassing for Big D at the time. Then the woman in charge of control retired and some new fella came in and thought she was trouble and I think the ultimatum was, this is all that is on the table and she resigned then changed her mind and he didn't want her back....pretty sure she didn't get along with all her watch either...so I think it was a welcome relief....as I say it has been some time but those are the bits I remember her telling me. As for an admin job I think the salary was too low in comparison and she would still have to apply for it because I remember that caused some sort of situation as well but can't quite remember what. My friend would literally rage about this anytime it was suggested that Jack "lost her job" as she insinuated early on!
Well, this is piping hot tea (to me at least) but also rings very true. Is it the case that SBs dad helped out at the beginning but then had family commitments of his own to deal with?

• Heart
Reactions: 54
Well, this is piping hot tea (to me at least) but also rings very true. Is it the case that SBs dad helped out at the beginning but then had family commitments of his own to deal with?
From what Jack has said in the past, he had some sort of shift change that clashed with hers. Then every single member of his and Jack's families couldn't step in until Jack went on the game and they all couldn't wait to babysit.

• Haha
Reactions: 81
That I have no idea about I am afraid although hasn't Jack herself mentioned him working in a bar or something in those early days? I may be imaging that part but I seem to remember her gently, softly implying he wasn't around as much.

Jack literally said in one of the articles Vali posted yesterday that she was "cast out" from the fire service. 😂

Old Chief be like -
To be fair I did get the impression the bloke who took over control could not wait to shove her out the door....apparently the woman before him was part of "the old boys club" and so was a bit more lenient and he came in and basically said plenty of people want a job like that...there's the door...apparently it did not go down well. I wish I was still in contact with my friend....some days I wonder if she made it here....she used to get so annoyed by her 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
Firstly I'd like to say that I hate these masks - only hats will do for this ungrateful urchin.

Secondly, we have no proof that Jack was told she should be grateful compared to the foster kids. I can't imagine Eve being like that, she seems like a caring woman (dire roasties though).

Jack's brother seems to have coped with the situation a lot better than she did. Clearly did well at school and has carved out a career in a very disciplined area of the Forces. Perhaps he was more resiliant than her, or maybe Jack has always been a woe is me little witch.

Edit for autocarrot

• Haha
Reactions: 48
The more I think on it, the more I think she really would be better embracing the whole neckbeard's sweetheart thing and doing an Only Fans.
But then a frau would have to take 1 for the team an subscribe for services to comedy. Bagsy not me.

Alas, my NYE masque has gone flaccid and slipped down my neck.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
That I have no idea about I am afraid although hasn't Jack herself mentioned him working in a bar or something in those early days? I may be imaging that part but I seem to remember her gently, softly implying he wasn't around as much.

To be fair I did get the impression the bloke who took over control could not wait to shove her out the door....apparently the woman before him was part of "the old boys club" and so was a bit more lenient and he came in and basically said plenty of people want a job like that...there's the door...apparently it did not go down well. I wish I was still in contact with my friend....some days I wonder if she made it here....she used to get so annoyed by her 🤣
Re SB’s dad, The Poverty™️ Coincided with him having a very poorly newborn. It also coincided with Jack’s beloved grandad’s wealth the being divvied up amongst his Marxist-Leninist-Royalist/Dusty spawn 🤗

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
Firstly I'd like to say that I hate these masks - only hats will do for this ungrateful urchin.

Secondly, we have no proof that Jack was told she should be grateful compared to the foster kids. I can't imagine Eve being like that, she seems like a caring woman (dire roasties though).

Jack's brother seems to have coped with the situation a lot better than she did. Clearly did well at school and has carved out a career in a very discipled area of the Forces. Perhaps he was more resiliant than her, or maybe Jack has always been a woe is me little witch.
If that is a response to me, I did say 'implicitly ' or 'explicitly'. No one has to say anything, a child can still feel it. I agree though that different siblings will respond in different ways to a similar environment although, while it is not always the case, my experience (military at my outer edges) is that many people join the forces to find a replacement for family.

Fostering is vital work but combining it with a biological family is not straightforward and requires a lot of sensitivity and thought, which I am not sure is Big Dave's main virtue. Close friends stopped fostering once their biological children passed the toddler stage, because they could foresee all sorts of tensions but they still put in fifteen good years before giving up. Just didn't get the MBE or whatever bauble Big Dave collected.

Reactions: 30
Great tea! Nothing you hear about Jack in the wild ever contradicts what we know about her 😏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
This whole having to quit/ childcare issues always seemed shonky from the start. I first met our Jackie in the Observer supplement in ? 2014 and felt like details had been airbrushed out to show her as the lonest of lone parents. Can't say I'm surprised by the sick days either...

Reactions: 43
A few years ago, me and a friend decided to apply for jobs we were in no way qualified for. We were going to log our hilarious antics in a bestselling book. We chickened out when my application to one of the security agencies got looked at a little too closely (true story) Anyway - this was our inspiration….remind you of anyone?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Jack literally said in one of the articles Vali posted yesterday that she was "cast out" from the fire service. 😂

Old Chief be like -
😂 I really think you might be on to something, @Nottonightbabe.

Not just “cast out” either. He PULLED her “carefully woven rug of chances and circumstance?!” out from under her PLUNGING her into ENDLESS ACHING COLD

AEA74839-8DE4-4082-A34E-8ECCEAFA3FCC.jpeg

AND into BLEAK AND PERPETUAL DARKNESS.
D77953DC-028D-4AFF-852C-809FEC9C58CF.jpeg

(Thanks to our dearest Sidey B for capturing these tweets)

(link to source for first screenie)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 54
That is very much as I thought it happened.

From Jack's own words, she got pregnant quite early in to her job , took loads of time off including the day of her 'passing out parade', went on maternity leave early (I think this may have been because of embarrassing trousers)

Reactions: 35
If that is a response to me, I did say 'implicitly ' or 'explicitly'. No one has to say anything, a child can still feel it. I agree though that different siblings will respond in different ways to a similar environment although, while it is not always the case, my experience (military at my outer edges) is that many people join the forces to find a replacement for family.

Fostering is vital work but combining it with a biological family is not straightforward and requires a lot of sensitivity and thought, which I am not sure is Big Dave's main virtue. Close friends stopped fostering once their biological children passed the toddler stage, because they could foresee all sorts of tensions but they still put in fifteen good years before giving up. Just didn't get the MBE or whatever bauble Big Dave collected.
Exactly and even without telling her that explicitly, it sounds difficult. The common description of Jack on this thread is being afraid of in person conflict and “shaking like a shitting dog”.

Per this article: https://www.communitycare.co.uk/2006/03/09/the-great-foster-care-divide/

“They certainly do not leave much spare to cover replacing costly items that have been ruined in anger by some of the 30 children they have fostered over the years – toilets and sinks have been broken and the family is on its third front door.”

If she’s terrified of confrontation and shakes like a shitting dog, that sounds like an environment she’d have really, really struggled with.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Isn't it?

@RamblerOfLandandMouth thank you for bringing this delightful cuppa to the canal to close off 2022.
Most welcome...although I am ashamed to say despite my good friends rants, back in those days I still felt sorry for Jack and thought it must have been hard to get childcare for that and I sort of knew her of old myself ⚠ so I was awash with sadness for her, got slighty suckered in and did buy a book or two (now safely languishing in a charity shop somewhere) ...it was not until DKL my eyes were opened and I landed here!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.