Jack Monroe #441 Congratulations on dispatching items you sold

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You would think if the LA thing was really an issue Jack would be openly campaigning about it more in the media - her "struggling single mum TRAPPED in rental contract" story can't be the only one out there...

One of these things is not like the others... Unless Jack is buying a new cooker every month??? Or that's the monthly payment on an extremely spenny one.
Edited for chaos OMFG SHE IS SPENDING HOW MUCH ON A COOKER???
Merail soz but I was in a similar position 20 odd years ago - 5 year joint contract (difference being I'd been in a stable relationship with my ex for 10 years and wasn't expecting we would separate). Couldn't do a flit because my parents were guarantors but there was a get out clause to pay 6 months rent. I'm sure she could have negotiated something similar with her lovely/evil landlady and used her advance from the last book for expenses rather than pissing it up the wall on crappy haircuts and fillers and tat.

Reactions: 36
Merail soz but I was in a similar position 20 odd years ago - 5 year joint contract (difference being I'd been in a stable relationship with my ex for 10 years and wasn't expecting we would separate). Couldn't do a flit because my parents were guarantors but there was a get out clause to pay 6 months rent. I'm sure she could have negotiated something similar with her lovely/evil landlady and used her advance from the last book for expenses rather than pissing it up the wall on crappy haircuts and fillers and tat.
She has lots of options, Shelter or similar would have provided her with free advice or CAB would have helped her negotiate with Evil Landlady. It's not in anyones interests to keep a reluctant tenant so a way would have been found. She kept that house on out of spite to make LJC feel bad for leaving.

Reactions: 48
I’ll spoiler this one then. Here are Jack’s early efforts to create a Leggy Kitchen Aesthetic after she had to LEAVE Leggy’s kitchen (that she thought was hers)
View attachment 1822714
View attachment 1822716View attachment 1822726View attachment 1822717
(Thanks to the indefatigable @Marmalade Atkins for the screenies, as always and enjoy the mini stocktake hall of fame in the bottom one! Mulberry! Docs Docs Docs!)
What a shitheap

@Lucky Escape she classes money from gigs as salary. And pretends she doesn’t have an income from patreon, tip jar etc. that’s why she claim not earn enough for her rent etc.

to whoever (abelmabel?) you might find it’s cheaper to run the dishwasher than keep heating water to wash up. More hygienic
Thank you! It was Mr Mabel's idea I haven't even looked into it but now will!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
What a shitheap
I just remembered this one of design guru Jack’s kitchen BEFORE and AFTERs as well, courtesy of dearest @colouredlines who posted this compare and contrast originally

BEFORE Jack got her hands on this RENTED kitchen
E69B1E6A-5F9E-435B-864D-C93D2DB25FAB.jpeg

031798CE-DD73-40FE-B429-88C038C15A7B.jpeg
No way
she didn’t lose that deposit.

Also, if this is what happens when Jack “puts a lot of love into” something, it’s no wonder her partners all LEAVE

Edit: I did a weird spoiler chaos, sorry

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 132
I just remembered this one of design guru Jack’s kitchen BEFORE and AFTERs as well, courtesy of dearest @colouredlines who posted this compare and contrast originally

BEFORE Jack got her hands on this RENTED kitchen
View attachment 1822811
View attachment 1822812
No way she didn’t lose her deposit 😂 🤢
OMG - that's a red flag right there.

I am deceased

ETA: did she brick up the window? Nothing says home like abbatoir aesthetic.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 71
At the risk of sounding like I don’t believe Jack is lying ( because she almost certainly is) but the letting agent my last landlord used would communicate via text predominately because it’s the easiest way to prove that the information has been sent , received and read. (Particularly if the person you were communicating with regularly tweeted about their thousands of unread email and unopened letters )

• Heart
Reactions: 58
Jack is such a witch about her landlady considering she has broken a number of clauses in her tenancy agreement and still hasn't been evicted. GothPrincess (her friend is apparently landlady adjacent) confirmed ages ago that Jack was breaking the tenancay agreement by having Cooper in the house and she's since added a large dog and a lodger into the mix. I assume GothPrincess was a genuine source of info?

For an 'accidental economist' Jack doesn't seem to have the faintest idea how much similar properties in her area cost to rent. Here's a couple of 3 bed bungalows in Thorpe Bay, neither of which is as big as the crappy bungahouse. Her nasty little desire to see the place stand empty is unlikely to transpire.

Re: the 250 patreon rewards being posted, if true then I think she's concentrated on the annual payers in a last ditch attempt to get them to renew rather than cancel. It may backfire as when they see all they were ever going to get was shithouse onions they will cancel anyway.

bung1.JPG
bung2.JPG

Reactions: 42
@terfette regarding the crappy bungalow, is you go back to the earlier threads it's discussed at length, in no Sherlock Holmes but she posted so many details about it I found it, and the old ad on right move. I was shocked, it's absolutely massive, in a lovely area and a really nice property.

Our house does get cold, we face fields and the prevailing weather and it's quite a small 3 bed semi. We are all owner occupiers now, but a couple of doors up used to be rented. 10 years ago they got £950 a month for it!!! God knows how much the rent would be now if it was still being rented. A room in a shared house is about 700 a month here.

I'm addicted to homes under the hammer, they reckon a 5% yield is ok, anything less is a bit meh. Her landlady is quite within her rights to put up the rent.

Thanks for the sloppies, I've voted!

• Heart
Reactions: 44
As far as I know you can appeal to the LA for a decision where you and the landlord disagree. Apparently in Jackworld local authorities are always acting against their own interests and leaving tenants in under occupied houses because reasons.
Course, in Sarfend the Council wants to introduce a landlord scheme, so LLs will have to pay to have their properties inspected before they can be approved to rent them out.
Jack knows this as well as we do coz Big Dave wrote a letter to the local paper complaining about it, in particular that these costs would be passed on to renters-by “other“landlords who can’t absorb them.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
Re Landlady, didn't she also say at one point it was forbidden to have overnight visitors for more than three nights (sounds likely 😂), but since said she had a lodger and that Harold has his massive car in the driveway for about a year? (not a euphemism).
And she was forbidden from using the washing machine after 8pm 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Would the standard amount of notice for Jack to give be 4 weeks? If so, Jan 12th, one week after the book drops. How unkind of anyone to be subjecting her to negative reviews a time when she will be so stressed out trying to find a flat.

And the landlady, who was formally lovely, couldn't she be persuaded to let Jack go onto a rolling contract if she needed a bit more time to find somewhere to go?
She wouldn't have even needed to persuade the landlady, any assured shorthold tenancy in England automatically converts to a rolling monthly one at the end of the first fixed term if a subsequent fixed term isn't signed. It's called a statutory periodic tenancy and can last indefinitely. Notice period is one month from the tenant and two months from the landlord - and that may be the key to why Jack signed a new and unusually long new fixed term AST, she wanted a longer notice period than 2 months written into the landlord's side. (Speculation, m'lud)

Reactions: 43
I am now having to physically suppress laughter on the bus at the BEFORE and AFTER kitchens.

What are the laws on tenants who dont want to move out? How long can the eviction process be spun out for?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Re Landlady, didn't she also say at one point it was forbidden to have overnight visitors for more than three nights (sounds likely 😂), but since said she had a lodger and that Harold has his massive car in the driveway for about a year? (not a euphemism).
If the landlady is nearby, she might have understandably been pissed off at bubbles & the smell of Pantene from the drains when Jack was washing stuff in shampoo at all hours of the night?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Nothing says you’re buying a house like “screwing over…first time buyers”. It’s like she’s not even trying to hide it at this point.

And I know it’s been said but it bears repeating - Jack’s rent seems fair based on the rest of the market - not that the market itself is fair but context is everything. You’d think that the price she’d been quoted for renewal was for a studio flat based on the way she’s going on about it!

Attachments

Reactions: 52
The more I think on it, the more I think she never had any intention of moving out. Why would you get worked up about a rent increase that comes into play after you'd be out? You'd just be happy that you dodged a bullet.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 74
I RENTED a house once - working away from home. My husband stayed at weekends and holidays and I travelled back home when I could... LL insisted he be added to the tenancy as he referenced some strange legal thing about how my husband might claim to be resident there?! I'm sure someone will know more, but I think it's a fairly standard tenancy clause.

P.S did she buy that cooker from brighthouse? Sheesh!
I am now having to physically suppress laughter on the bus at the BEFORE and AFTER kitchens.

What are the laws on tenants who dont want to move out? How long can the eviction process be spun out for?
If the landlord served her with a section 21, I think that gives you 2 months to get gone.

Reactions: 24
Yet more proof that Jack’s audience isn’t the genuinely poor but people with zero idea of how many live. Obviously-she worked out a long time ago that she needed to attract fools with money as her patronising would be seen through by anyone with the first idea.
As someone else mentioned, not only is it bizarre and unnecessary for her to tweet details of her everyday expenses, it’s also stupid as she reveals she was bullshitting in HH2. The only reason she tweets this is to attract pity donations from the clueless.
I have a fair few followers on Twitter, have literally never tweeted anything about my finances, nor does anyone I know. It’s boring, it’s personal information & it’s nothing to do with anyone else as I don’t want anyone’s pity or money.

Attachments

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.