Jack Monroe #438 She's a thief and her food is like slop. Delete this.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her use of "not a sausage" in this is very annoying. Not sure why.
Because it’s flippant as duck about something that would be extremely serious (she claims 50 grand of missing payments) but it’s not serious because she’s LYING about it. That’s what annoys me anyway.

It’s also extremely out of place in a traumatic overblown beg-post of bad gothic literature entitled “poverty lingers like a septic wound”. She’s such a bleeping leech and she knows exactly how to manipulate for £££ from gullible Squigs.

She had a partner who had barely been around a year at that point. We are all different I know, but had my partner put out that blog post I’d have run for the bleeping hills not stuck around for two years more.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I know I’ve said this before (like Jack and bread and jam but unlike that tripe this is worth repeating), the story of the agent and the stolen royalties is interesting.

In the overwrought woe is me beg that is Potatoes in July 2020, the agent had stolen ALL her royalties from her first book only (that came out in 2014) not paying her any royalties, ever, claiming she wasn’t a client, AND she noticed right away but they ignored her as she tried to chase them. No mention of the second book.
View attachment 1806961

She’d clearly forgotten what she’d claimed in the giant overblown woe is me beg “Lingering like a septic wound” in May 2018. Apparently back then the same agent initially paid her royalties for a year plus after publication of book 1 in 2014, but then stole all her royalties for TWO books from 2015-2018 but she didn’t notice for ages because of her “self esteem”…
View attachment 1806970
It’s no wonder she thought Hunger Hurts Solar Gloom 2022 was going to coin it in for her. She’s written these repulsive lying overwrought begs that majorly contradict one another for a decade and they’ve always worked for her before. One lying grift too far. As Jack might say, a cacophony of lying grifts.
It's very interesting. Either she's made it all up to scam money from the paypigs, there has been some sort of cock up which was resolved and she's decided to exaggerate and use it to scam money from the paypigs or it's true and her career has tanked to such an extent she's stuck with an agent she can't trust to pay her. Hilarious as the third option is, I'm going for one of the lying options.

ETA: It puts her agent in an interesting position, if they're ever asked about Jack's honesty.

Reactions: 46
Yesss!!! A Christmas chaos!
My house is so full of illness, sick children everywhere, and my (rare, due to autistic child and lack of babysitters) Christmas nights out cancelled because of it, I deserve this chaos!
I feel ya! ❤

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Has anyone got Veganish or bad food for bad days to hand and can check if dear heart Rosemary is in the acknowledgements? Just out of curiosity
In Veganish (2019) both Carole and Rosemary are mentioned!
Thank you to Carole Tonkinson, my patient and trusting publisher, and the whole Bluebird team at Pan Macmillan who helped bring this book to life. Martha Burley for gentle email reminders to get on with it, and Hockley Raven Spare, Zainab Dawood, Jess Duffy, Jodie Mullish and Sarah Badhan. Thanks to Pip Spence and Patsy Niven for the food styling and photography. To Caroline for all of her assistance in helping eat the recipes as I created them, and also for keeping me as organised as it’s possible to (which is: not very!) To Rosemary Scoular for still being by my side on this wondrous and often exasperating journey, and Aoife Rice and Natalia Lucas at United Agents. And finally, to Louisa and Jonathon, for all your love, support, clean plates and understanding (mostly) when I need to lock myself in the office and write like a dervish. Here’s to all the future books, and may you all forever be on this rollercoaster with me – my team of wonder women – keeping my arms and legs inside the cart, and all that.
The other book acknowledgements, she mentions an Adrian and Charlotte in AYI120R, could it be Adrian Sington and Charlotte Ridge?
Where to start with these?

FIRSTLY, THANK YOU FOR BUYING A COPY OF THIS BOOK, you person with clearly excellent taste in books. I hope you find it extremely useful.

THANK YOU TO MS FARQUHAR, the best Home Economics teacher ever, and MISS SAVILLE (yes, I know you’re married now, but you’ll always be Miss Saville to me); to ESME KADIC, for praising my rock cake recipe when I was fourteen and put ten times as much sugar in them by accident, and SHEILA, for the gentle support through my GCSE.

THANK YOU TO MY DARLING SON, who eats almost everything I put in front of him, and who dragged me out of the black hole with his three-year-old tenacity and that need to carry on.

THANK YOU TO XANTHE CLAY, who accidentally catapulted me to fame in February 2013 with a charming account in the Telegraph of my Moroccan cooking and her description of my ‘fierce competency’, then held my hand through the Fortnum & Mason award when I thought I was going to fall over in shock. Thank you to Fiona Beckett, Tom Parker-Bowles and Dan Saladino for being sounding boards, foodie friends and generally lovely.

THANK YOU TO PATRICK BUTLER at the Guardian, ROS WYNNE-JONES at the Mirror and PAMELA OWEN at the People for repeatedly sharing my mission in the national press, with all the bells and political whistles attached, to keep food poverty on the agenda.

THANK YOU TO SARAH, GEORGI, CAZ, IAN, KEVIN AND ALL OF MY FRIENDS, who have kept my feet on the ground and my eyes looking forward. Thank you for the beer, the understanding and the support every time I wobbled and almost fell. Thank you for telling me I was being an idiot when I was being an idiot, and for laughing at my jokes, and for keeping my press clippings for me, and for being there even when I wasn’t.

THANK YOU TO MY DARLING AND DEARLY MISSED GRANDAD, who told me sitting at the Formica table in his guest house that ‘those bastards will always try to tell you what to do, and you need to just tell them to piss off’. Thank you for the Le Creuset milk pan, the roll-ups and the laughs.

THANK YOU TO MY DEAR NANNY JOAN, who took me for many a coffee during the book-writing process, and is a rock and a treasure.

THANK YOU TO MY PARENTS, EVELYN AND DAVID, who taught me that a good reputation endures for ever, and who brought me up as a headstrong, independent menace and let me get on with it. As the Dixie Chicks said, we need wide open spaces, room to make our own mistakes. I left school ten years ago with four and a half GCSEs, but I hope that I’ve made up for that now!
First, thank you, you great person holding a copy of my book in your hands, for supporting me in my culinary and writing adventure.

To Adrian and Charlotte, for your support, guidance and kindness, as ever.

To Tamsin, Emma and Emily for patience; to Katya and Francesca for dealing with all the press enquiries on my behalf; to John for beautiful design work, and bringing some of my mad dreams to life. To Rob, for help cooking and shooting dishes, and Susan, for beautiful photos.

To Xanthe, for continuing to be a great friend and support, thank you. To Ros, for being there when I needed an ear to bend or a petition to wield, thank you. To Juliet and Jim, for letting me take over your house for Charity Curry Nights. To Sarah, for always being there when I need a good friend.

To Suse, for patience, guidance and encouragement, for taking my concept and fashioning it into a column in the Guardian, and for helping me grow.

To the Food Tube team, for taking me under your wing and into the family, and opening so many great doors — loved working with you guys and look forward to collaborating some more!

To the Sainsbury’s team: thank you for the opportunity to work together. It was a mad experience but I loved it, and thank you so much.

To my readers, Twitter followers and Facebook fans, for being there with love, support and kind words day after day – thank you.

To Rosemary, Joanna and Aoife at United Agents – my knight(esses) in shining armour – to the future, and thank you.

To Tom and Megan at Blackfoot for always being so welcoming. To Matt and Rad for all the Salty Dogs and Moscow Mules consumed in the creation of this book. To Inma, Sarah and Hannah for giggles and great service. To Rory, James and Rob for all the pork.

To Lea, for all your help with the smallests while I got this thing written, and to Floss and DanDan for being such good friends in my new surroundings – thank you and love.

To Jonny and Delilah, for making me smile, for cuddles and kisses and sweetness, and for reminding me what’s really important in this life and madness.

And, last, Allegra, for putting up with me crabby and angsty and bashing a book out in the very early days, for your love, your experience, your support, your kindness, your strength, for you. Not a hand-scrawled and smudged dedication this time. Thank you for making this my pretty good year.

Jack xxx
This is an updated, full-colour version of the crowd-funded, limited edition Cooking on a Bootstrap published in 2017.

The illustrations are by Birdy Rose, John Bulley, Bonnie Blueman and Hattie: all well-loved local artists from Southend-on-Sea, Essex. (And a few by me, not an artist, just a doodler).

With thanks to Carole, Martha and Hockley at Bluebird. To Rosemary, Aoife and Natalia for tough love and tougher deadlines. Thanks to Mike for his creative and beautiful photography. Thanks Mum and Dad for kicking my ass to the end of this; Nan for motivational raised eyebrows about ‘quite’ how long it was taking; and Cat, Phil, Imogen and Emily for being willing guinea pigs as well as dear friends. Georgi and Caz for your endless support and motivation; Vix for hours of hard slog and harder spirits; and with all my love, and thank you for rebuilding me, sustaining me, and refusing to take my starving artist diva crap, Louisa, I don’t know why you put up with me, but the pancakes are all yours.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
In Veganish both Carole and Rosemary are mentioned!

Other acknowledgements, she mentions an Adrian in AYI120R?
Where to start with these?

FIRSTLY, THANK YOU FOR BUYING A COPY OF THIS BOOK, you person with clearly excellent taste in books. I hope you find it extremely useful.

THANK YOU TO MS FARQUHAR, the best Home Economics teacher ever, and MISS SAVILLE (yes, I know you’re married now, but you’ll always be Miss Saville to me); to ESME KADIC, for praising my rock cake recipe when I was fourteen and put ten times as much sugar in them by accident, and SHEILA, for the gentle support through my GCSE.

THANK YOU TO MY DARLING SON, who eats almost everything I put in front of him, and who dragged me out of the black hole with his three-year-old tenacity and that need to carry on.

THANK YOU TO XANTHE CLAY, who accidentally catapulted me to fame in February 2013 with a charming account in the Telegraph of my Moroccan cooking and her description of my ‘fierce competency’, then held my hand through the Fortnum & Mason award when I thought I was going to fall over in shock. Thank you to Fiona Beckett, Tom Parker-Bowles and Dan Saladino for being sounding boards, foodie friends and generally lovely.

THANK YOU TO PATRICK BUTLER at the Guardian, ROS WYNNE-JONES at the Mirror and PAMELA OWEN at the People for repeatedly sharing my mission in the national press, with all the bells and political whistles attached, to keep food poverty on the agenda.

THANK YOU TO SARAH, GEORGI, CAZ, IAN, KEVIN AND ALL OF MY FRIENDS, who have kept my feet on the ground and my eyes looking forward. Thank you for the beer, the understanding and the support every time I wobbled and almost fell. Thank you for telling me I was being an idiot when I was being an idiot, and for laughing at my jokes, and for keeping my press clippings for me, and for being there even when I wasn’t.

THANK YOU TO MY DARLING AND DEARLY MISSED GRANDAD, who told me sitting at the Formica table in his guest house that ‘those bastards will always try to tell you what to do, and you need to just tell them to piss off’. Thank you for the Le Creuset milk pan, the roll-ups and the laughs.

THANK YOU TO MY DEAR NANNY JOAN, who took me for many a coffee during the book-writing process, and is a rock and a treasure.

THANK YOU TO MY PARENTS, EVELYN AND DAVID, who taught me that a good reputation endures for ever, and who brought me up as a headstrong, independent menace and let me get on with it. As the Dixie Chicks said, we need wide open spaces, room to make our own mistakes. I left school ten years ago with four and a half GCSEs, but I hope that I’ve made up for that now!
First, thank you, you great person holding a copy of my book in your hands, for supporting me in my culinary and writing adventure.

To Adrian and Charlotte, for your support, guidance and kindness, as ever.

To Tamsin, Emma and Emily for patience; to Katya and Francesca for dealing with all the press enquiries on my behalf; to John for beautiful design work, and bringing some of my mad dreams to life. To Rob, for help cooking and shooting dishes, and Susan, for beautiful photos.

To Xanthe, for continuing to be a great friend and support, thank you. To Ros, for being there when I needed an ear to bend or a petition to wield, thank you. To Juliet and Jim, for letting me take over your house for Charity Curry Nights. To Sarah, for always being there when I need a good friend.

To Suse, for patience, guidance and encouragement, for taking my concept and fashioning it into a column in the Guardian, and for helping me grow.

To the Food Tube team, for taking me under your wing and into the family, and opening so many great doors — loved working with you guys and look forward to collaborating some more!

To the Sainsbury’s team: thank you for the opportunity to work together. It was a mad experience but I loved it, and thank you so much.

To my readers, Twitter followers and Facebook fans, for being there with love, support and kind words day after day – thank you.

To Rosemary, Joanna and Aoife at United Agents – my knight(esses) in shining armour – to the future, and thank you.

To Tom and Megan at Blackfoot for always being so welcoming. To Matt and Rad for all the Salty Dogs and Moscow Mules consumed in the creation of this book. To Inma, Sarah and Hannah for giggles and great service. To Rory, James and Rob for all the pork.

To Lea, for all your help with the smallests while I got this thing written, and to Floss and DanDan for being such good friends in my new surroundings – thank you and love.

To Jonny and Delilah, for making me smile, for cuddles and kisses and sweetness, and for reminding me what’s really important in this life and madness.

And, last, Allegra, for putting up with me crabby and angsty and bashing a book out in the very early days, for your love, your experience, your support, your kindness, your strength, for you. Not a hand-scrawled and smudged dedication this time. Thank you for making this my pretty good year.

Jack xxx
This is an updated, full-colour version of the crowd-funded, limited edition Cooking on a Bootstrap published in 2017.

The illustrations are by Birdy Rose, John Bulley, Bonnie Blueman and Hattie: all well-loved local artists from Southend-on-Sea, Essex. (And a few by me, not an artist, just a doodler).

With thanks to Carole, Martha and Hockley at Bluebird. To Rosemary, Aoife and Natalia for tough love and tougher deadlines. Thanks to Mike for his creative and beautiful photography. Thanks Mum and Dad for kicking my ass to the end of this; Nan for motivational raised eyebrows about ‘quite’ how long it was taking; and Cat, Phil, Imogen and Emily for being willing guinea pigs as well as dear friends. Georgi and Caz for your endless support and motivation; Vix for hours of hard slog and harder spirits; and with all my love, and thank you for rebuilding me, sustaining me, and refusing to take my starving artist diva crap, Louisa, I don’t know why you put up with me, but the pancakes are all yours.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 14.24.11.png

The good reputation part isn't going as well as Big Dave and Evelyn led Jack to believe.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Also, she tapped out her first book in the dark night after night on her mobile phone

6F46E022-A653-4F1C-99BC-4491A07DA13D.jpeg

Yes also, somehow her “sweet Irish woman” editor noticed she was typing on her phone and gave her a desk at the office, where she could tap it out on a computer, presumably in the light.

Yet despite either writing the WHOLE THING on her phone in the dark OR part on her phone in the dark, part at her publisher’s office in the light, she turns in a “handwritten notebook of recipes as a complete manuscript” for said book.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one of those old Nokia phones that when you type a book on them (in the dark), it creates a handwritten manuscript for you. They sound AMAZING. Can you still get them?

238D4CBB-AE3E-4A2C-A073-85A5F6C4B21B.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
I'd love to know what commission rate they agreed just to take her on.
Probably a high one - then if by some miracle she manages to get some decent paying work again she'll be all over twitter complaining that her agent is 'ripping her off'

Reactions: 17
Also, she tapped out her first book in the dark night after night on her mobile phone

View attachment 1807012

Yes also, somehow her “sweet Irish woman” editor noticed she was typing on her phone and gave her a desk at the office, where she could tap it out on a computer, presumably in the light.

Yet despite either writing the WHOLE THING on her phone in the dark OR part on her phone in the dark, part at her publisher’s office in the light, she turns in a “handwritten notebook of recipes as a complete manuscript” for said book.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one of those old Nokia phones that when you type a book on them (in the dark), it creates a handwritten manuscript for you. They sound AMAZING. Can you still get them?

View attachment 1807014
Also she still has her laptop from her pre fire service days so there was no need for her to use the Nokia brick.

(This was in a podcast interview where she said she still had a brick like laptop - I think she might've been talking about music or something?)

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Forgive me for it being in my house... It's not mine..
“May you all forever be on this rollercoaster with me-my team of wonder women- keeping my arms and legs in the cart” (Me me me me me me me) Oooof! I count FIVE “wonder women” who’ve LEFT the rollercoaster since then. #awks
757C84FD-3C69-441F-B86C-D8CAC7A1C24C.jpeg

I helpfully edited it for you Jack. I know it upsets you to change your acknowledgements so I spared you that cacophony of acknowledgments trauma.

ETA “Here’s to all the future books”. Hmmm not sure how well that part’s going to age either.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
'And finally, to Louisa and Jonathon, for all your love, support, clean plates and understanding (mostly)'

She couldn't resist that passive-aggressive 'mostly' dig at LJC and HER OWN SON could she?! :mad:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 67
She seems to write a big beg every other year then. I wonder what hunger hurts 2024 will look like: Eight Books But I Don't Have A Farthing: Pov For Lyfe or something.

Also she's been too strangingly depressed to write for 'weeks' for WORK but she can write to BEG even though she may not write for more weeks to come. She's selling all her things again! Please give her money! She's such a shyster. Also I note she's not offering to pay people back once she retrieves her royalties.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 14.56.14.png

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
The other book acknowledgements, she mentions an Adrian and Charlotte in AYI120R, could it be Adrian Sington and Charlotte Ridge?
I'm going to go with yes, absolutely x

1671029490438.png

1671029522821.png

1671029594771.png

1671029667359.png

🦉🍾

firefox_k13ntioEXI.png

(unsquigged because it's Jack's current/former agent/management/wrangler)

And just circling back to that reputation management article, which was written shortly after Charlotte joined Kruger Cowne, where the blurb had said she would be "working alongside Adrian Sington":

1671028446057.png

So Jack has gone back to her old chum(s). Makes you think.
It looks like Charlotte is no longer with Kruger Cowne though (?)

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
View attachment 1803695
Minor update - why save my tossed-off pastiche until Sunday, I will post another episode TOMORROW and then more on Sunday. I'll slop it out to you all instead of save it!
I am beyond speechless. Long deceased because of the Frauen's humour and previous scriptwriting, Photoshop and forensic skills I am obvs writing this from a place up with the angels and hooting so much I might fall from a cloud: excellent, brilliant work!!!!
Which fairly recent Frau guessed that some of us (spoiler: not me) must be script/comedy writers in real life? There you go!
Chapeauios!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I know I’ve said this before (like Jack and bread and jam but unlike that tripe this is worth repeating), the story of the agent and the stolen royalties is interesting.

In the overwrought woe is me beg that is Potatoes in July 2020, the agent had stolen ALL her royalties from her first book only (that came out in 2014) not paying her any royalties, ever, claiming she wasn’t a client, AND she noticed right away but they ignored her as she tried to chase them. No mention of the second book.
View attachment 1806961

She’d clearly forgotten what she’d claimed in the giant overblown woe is me beg “Lingering like a septic wound” in May 2018. Apparently back then the same agent initially paid her royalties for a year plus after publication of book 1 in 2014, but then stole all her royalties for TWO books from 2015-2018 but she didn’t notice for ages because of her “self esteem”…
View attachment 1806970
It’s no wonder she thought Hunger Hurts Solar Gloom 2022 was going to coin it in for her. She’s written these repulsive lying overwrought begs that majorly contradict one another for a decade and they’ve always worked for her before. One lying grift too far. As Jack might say, a cacophony of lying grifts.
This is an interesting one, as she would have got an advance upon signing for each of those books, plus the remainder of the advance upon draft submission and then publication. You only get additional royalties once you've "earned out" ie the publisher has recouped the value of that original advance. So it is vaguely plausible that Jack didn't get those subsequent advance payments due to the agent forgetting/withholding them, but given that she bangs on about buying expensive "investment" handbags etc with each new book advance, and there was so much song and dance about the first advance affecting her benefits, it seems strange she wouldn't know this. Possibly she did then sell enough to earn out on each of those and was owed royalties, but she should know that from her annual royalty statement from the publisher. Again,if the agent has been withholding advance or royalty payments or statements deliberately then that is bad, and I can imagine as someone naive to the publishing world and very disorganized that she wouldn't follow them up, but - as always with Jack - you do wonder what the whole truth it. Also from 2015 onwards she was getting money coming in from other sources too, so it might make sense that she wasn't particularly missing the extra cash.

Reactions: 36
I went to the Bear thread yesterday and have seen unspeakable things. Here when you click on a spoiler you get something fairly horrific yet amusing. It’s a very different kind of thread over there.

View attachment 1803867
What is this? Why has it got some skin on it?
Thanks for digging the larvae dish out again. I had just gotten over it since I saw it for the first time.
🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
'And finally, to Louisa and Jonathon, for all your love, support, clean plates and understanding (mostly)'

She couldn't resist that passive-aggressive 'mostly' dig at LJC and HER OWN SON could she?! :mad:
Inadvertently, in almost everything she’s ever written/publicly put out there about LJC and her son, she gives the impression she actively dislikes them, resents them, and also all Jack’s posts/writing about LJC seemed designed to completely undermine and diminish her.

Jack is a petty, nasty bleeping bully who’d have never tried to pull any of that tit with Leggy because she knows she wouldn’t have got away with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.