Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I got That Man's book "7 Ways"- thanks 😊

I've been watching a few of his festive cooking shows on Food Network the last couple of weeks, I'm starting to warm to him a little (and probably out of spite too!)
So have I, dear ❤. Still annoys me with the inexplicable and unnecessary additions to stuff, but you just know that *any* of his recipes are going to taste a million times better than any of her sainthood's.
I liked him when he was still a young chef with enthusiasm and no pretensions. 😁

The food blogger who was recently mithering about the lack of pre-release availability of Grifty Kitchen for review is now posting screenshots from Tattle (threads - not the wiki) FFS.

I think it’s a given that squigs will take info from here but screenshots is not on IMO. Although he has said that “if this is not OK I will delete”, so a mod may wish to have a chat with him.
That's taking liberties...😱

• Sad
Reactions: 21

Snotbuster

VIP Member
It's all bullshit. I've been an Aldi customer for years, shopping for a large family and 7 pets or 23 if you count the stick insects as they like a nice iceberg lettuce. I use a meal plan and I could get the bulk of my groceries for £50-£60 back in January 2020. Prices began to rise steadily during pandemic. Then again with Brexit and now inflation. My shop is now at least £90 and I am still buying the same foods. No alcohol, no excess of junk food, no toys or stuff from the bumf aisle. I get fresh fruit and veg, breads, cereals, cooking ingredients (which varies depending on my stock levels), biscuits, lunchbox snacks, laundry and cleaning items, toiletries, fruit juice, mineral water, milks and spreads. We are a mixed diet household too with vegans veggies and omnivores. Even one of the rabbits is on a special diet bless her. The plain fact is that due to various factors (including climate affecting farming) the price of food has gone up. Jack never talks about that though. It's always Tories are shit. The tories are shit but they aren't to blame for the pandemic or poor harvests. Jack mithers on at conferences about 'during the poverty' but she is too much of a coward to pressure those in power to raise wages and benefits. That's what would help reduce or eradicate food poverty and ensure farmers get a fair price. National poverty keeps Jack Monroe in £££, she will never be a true campaigner. That and she is a lazy arse.
She is a one-trick pony. The increase in prices for lots of stuff--food and other consumer goods--as well as the general availability is the result of many factors. I found Jack's ire at the disappearance of bargain brand lemon curd (which is snooty food in the US, period) pretty damn funny. As a tremendous consumer of all kinds of purchase-ables, she really doesn't understand her role in capitalism much less how the larger world affects her access.

jf99

Chatty Member
Thanks to the Frau who shared the Finch article, it was fascinating, horrifying and so bloody sad. I’m not sure it is quite accurate to draw so many comparisons with JM. What they have in common is lying but Finch threw away an actual career where she was good. A good writer, a good producer (172 episodes of a hit show; if she hadn’t been good she’d not have produced more than two). The sad thing about JM is that she has based a career as a cook, activist and presenter on lies and that she isn’t actually any good at any of these things. Finch has destroyed herself because she lied about stuff that actually sat outside her chosen profession; I’m not even sure I could call her a grifter. She didn’t get her great job because she lied, she got a great job because she was talented and then she fucked it all because of the pyramid of lies that didn’t actually have anything to do with that and everything to do with her need for attention. She wasn’t looking for fame as far as I can see. Is that just me?
In other news my OH sent away to John Lewis (I married well) for an electric blanket and it came today and I am speechless with joy.

ETA today I learned what a tilde is, thank you. Every day a school day
I think a lot of that is true, but the behaviours themselves are so similar!

CocoCottesmore

Not sure if it's been mentioned here already so hopefully not repeating anyone but excellent episode on inflation by BBC Sounds as part of a series on the economy and how it works. Some reference to our heroine's point on lower income hoiseholfs without mentioning her but all considered as part of a approach towards the economy and statistics in general because OF COURSE and the whole thing is basically reiterating that the VBI is a massive waste of time https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dwr0?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Lucky Escape

VIP Member
She could mean the couple of posters we have on here who knew her from days of old?
Yeah, I've been thinking that. It'd be just like Jack - thinking she's spiting the trolls, but in doing so is actually adding credence to the claims against her.

Yup, we’ve a pantry just like that now, stuffed to the gills. I grew up with a mum and nanna in council houses which also had under-stair pantries in the kitchen. Mine is missing a nice stone shelf, but I get by *sniff*.
Mine still has the stone shelf thing :cool: Genuinely no idea what the working class equivalent to pantry is supposed to be lol

Reactions: 20