Jack Monroe #434 The price of jam: Will it be £40 by the end of the year?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think that's definitely one of the reasons, she has notes on cocking about with oil and vinegar in that recipe that sound superficially valid but there's no logic behind it just "it seems ok" or "because cheaper". She also admits she's never had devilled eggs before so she's not going to understand what they're supposed to be, or how her changes would compromise/undermine it, I suppose from a recipe or general cookery/principles viewpoint. Kind if like wearing manky jeans and a T shirt to a black tie do.
She appears to think that if there's a difference between two recipes then you can just use whatever third variant as a substitution (like white vinegar here). When you're going for a headline 10p figure nothing's sacred.
I do think you've hit upon one of her main recipe-creating techniques here.

It explains why she so often ends up with badly wrong ratios between each ingredient - it's because she's simply taken a bunch of similar-ish recipes from BBC Good Food and has combined them in the cheapest possible way.

And I wonder if it's why she feels she doesn't need to bother testing her recipes? After all, the sources she's working from have probably done plenty of testing already.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
That person seems to think the keep it on tattle rules were created specifically for Jack. She really is the centre of every universe!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 38
Still catching up but having seen the chores list, I agree with the rest of the canal regarding it's cruelty and humiliation. It is mostly definitely performative in terms of the 'system' she has created, she loves a hand written system. She is all about procrastination instead of actual work. She is also exhibiting her power over her son with the nasty comments. I think she probably thought they were funny comments in a 'kids, who'd have em' sort of way. But it also displays how unusual she finds normal messes (including toilet messes, especially in an autistic child) and this further reveals that she is not a very involved parent.

I will add that having had a narc parent, I can see many similarities to Jack. It's disturbing and triggering at times. My siblings and I were expected to do a lot of housework and if it wasn't done by a certain time, there would be trouble. As an adult, mess stresses me and I still have an anxiety about it because of that. I know that is not normal and my experience has shown me how not to parent. I never ever make my children work like that. My eldest two do some chores within their capabilities for pocket money. My youngest is fully disabled and not capable of anything like that. Toys on the floor is such a normal part of childhood or it should be. As for following SB, I could believe that too because we were followed, had our mail opened and read and phone calls listened in on via the extension. There was more surveillance and control than that. We were forever regulating our behavior and masking, acting the way we were expected to. It's impossible to relax but also impossible to hide from people outside the home. I have no doubt Jack behaves in a similar way based on her comments. And someone will have acted, be it a teacher or a family member. She moans about CPS a lot, it's projection, my narc did the same. There is no doubt she has restricted and supervised access. We only see what Jack shares (because she can't help herself), unfortunately I think things are a lot messier behind the scenes, underneath her public persona. This is partly why she has to control the narrative, a narc's reputation is very important to them and they want everyone to believe they are the best, funniest, most loving etc etc.
This is very sad @People-huv-tae-know ;
very similar experience with my mother. Only I called her by her Christian name (not mama mum mummy or mother!) simply because it helped me go first grey rock with her, then now it’s NC. She’s a covert narcissist, in that it’s not so easy to spot unless you know that person well. To the outside world she was a model 1950s housewife and parent, spotless house (that was us kids!) and she got loads of praise cos there were a lot of us siblings (won’t say exactly as it may be 🔺🔺 me) and religion (we had surveillance too under the religious banner)was involved. Now we’ve all left home, she went back to educationan and qualified asa Dr, and is now high up in the medical profession. But the amount of articles she’s written about how amazing she is to have achieved this success … is easily in double figures, and her USP is that she did it all with no help while raising xx kids. All a lie as my dad bank rolled her and we did actually have staff (nanny, housekeepers, cleaner and a gardener) plus the kids doing everything for her. Sorry but I feel so strongly about narc parents. So I very much feel for you @People-huv-tae-know ♥

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 72
I don’t have enough gunge under my nails to grow (dire) spuds, and almost 82,000 of you have 🤣 at me

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.