Jack Monroe #432 From £7.92 no refunds

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aww Del Monte sound proper excited for the campaign.
Knowing how it went is like watching Bambi again. You know how it's gonna end but still hope for them it goes better

I also feel this way for DKL, Super drug, Lorraine... Yada Yada Grifty Yada...

Oh is this a new campaign and I have totally read it wrong. That would be about right for this week and how it's going for me. MENOPAUSE SUCKS ARSE. ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
"gloriously swishy main painstakingly clipped in" FFS, it's fake hair, not the effing Mona Lisa.

Re the Trussell Truss/bookstore promo for Grifty Kitchen: a lovely example of mutually beneficial log-rolling (ruder folks might call it a circle j*rk). Trussell Trust and the bookstores get to look like they care about the underprivileged, and Jack and her publisher get to move some copies of the book. It also promotes the book prior to its January release, during the holiday season when there's a lot of other books already on sale.

Everybody benefits - except of course for people who like recipes that work and taste good, and the actual food bank users. How patronizing to shove something like this on them, with the implication that their problem is that they don't know how to be thrifty :mad:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 67
If Jack drank 200 units a week of whisky and painstakingly transferred the same amount into an account since January 2019 how much does she have? #jackmaths

Apologies for the numbers.

One bottle of JD (750ml) in ASDA is 28 units. £17.

200/28 = 7.14 bottles, so has to be 8 bottles a week.

8 bottles @ £17 = £136

January 2019 to June 2022 = 182 weeks and 2 days. Round it to 180 weeks to allow for the leftovers each Sunday.

180 weeks at £136/pw = £24,480

Even discounting the J1g intake and the 'prescription pain + pain sourced from the internet' intake, we could reasonably add the cost of filling an ADHD meds prescription at £160 notes a month (will edit if the price is claimed to be different)

January 2019 (because we're keeping to the same timeframe) to June 2022 = 42 months. I shall assume that each 'month's' prescription is in fact for 28 days because that's how Elvanase (the spendy ADHD med she's more likely to have had to go doctor shopping into the private sector for) is dispensed.

182 weeks/4 weeks to a prescription if you follow the instructions and don't repeatedly use it to get off your DDs on it = 45.5 prescriptions. Again, it's necessary to round up because you can't get half a box.

46 privately prescribed boxes of speed prescriptions @ £160 a time = £7,360

24,480 - 7360 (because she wasn't doing both at the same time, apparently) = £17,120 saved

NMW/NLW to March 2019 was £7.18, 2020 was £8.21, 2021 was £8.72, 2022 was £8.91 and we're now at the heady heights of £9.50/hour. Because I really can't be arsed, I'll take a mean value of £42.52/5 = £8.50/h.

40 h/pw @ £8.50/h = £340/pw

182 weeks at £340/pw = £61,880

52 weeks (so we have a representative figure for annual salary, assuming paid holiday entitlement, rather than ZHC) = £!7,860

52 weeks at £160 for pills pm = £160 x 13 prescriptions = £2,080

This leaves approximately (because I'm averaging the NMW/NLW and assuming the pills were taken in strict observance of the prescription, one per day) = £15,780 pa or £1,315 pcm or £303.46 pw after filling her scripts, or over 182 weeks (46 four week periods), assuming the tax and NI was deducted at source and the figures are for what was actually paid into her account. If the NMW/NLW claim was in respect of gross amounts, her income would be significantly lower thanks to the HMRC deductions.

We could add the price of an NHS prepayment prescription to cover the other medications, as it would be daft to pay over £9 a pop for the multitude of things she says she needs. Give or take £100/year. Mere chickenfeed compared to two monthly prescriptions of multiple medications. Oh, and NHS ouchy mouths.

£1500 pcm rent equates to £18,000 or £346.15 pw. So more than she claimed to earn. If the huge dormer bungalow in a naice area, by the sea, walking distance of trains, great grammar schools, etc, is any cheaper than that, I'll be bleeping stunned, as that's the going rate for bedsits and 1 bed flats in the suburban hellhole of goat legs and Chinese shops that aren't Wing Yip. An ex council shack on a shite estate (stab proof vest a very real need for the local teens) is more than that.

Conclusions

It is therefore a mathematical impossibility for her rent to be the claimed percentage of her income at the figures she has claimed it to be. And a legal and financial impossibility for her to have passed affordability/credit checks to take on the renewed lease by herself when it was higher than her (claimed) income.

It is therefore also a mathematical impossibility for her to have firstly spent or secondly have saved that sum. Let alone afford sideboards and whatnots.

It is also clear that developing a taste for being prescribed medication is significantly cheaper than 'drinking 200 units a week'. But still ultimately unaffordable for anybody on the income she claims.

It's still, however, fundamentally exceedingly bleeping unlikely anything she has said regarding her finances is true.

Nota Bene: It's been a bleeping long week already and this is soooo, soooo much Maths. If I have fucked the figures, just smile and nod and tell me I'm a clever pixie or I'll scweam and scweam until I'm thick I'll rage quit Tattle for fifteen minutes and then you'll ALL BE SORRY.

Happy now? Thankyou and fuckoff.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 125
A number of Frauen have questioned why the Trussell Trust keep platforming Jack and essentially helping her sell her books. They are essentially like a marketing arm for her at this point.

I’ve been mithering about this and I wonder if Jacks association with TT doesn’t go way back to when she was an active Baptist Christian.

The TT is very Christian and, interestingly, their website says:

“The Trussell Trust is an anti-poverty charity “founded on Christian principles” and cites Matthew 25:35-36 as its founding verse:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.“

Jack has paraphrased this Bible verse as a title for a blog post and also a talk she did in Parliament (Both entitled “I was hungry and thirsty, were you there?”)

I also found this interesting article in which TT stands accused of “pushing” Christianity onto some Muslim clients who were only there to get food and not to be converted:

One of the more striking things about Jack to me is that she remains a little evangelical Christian round the edges and often uses evangelical type language / Biblical paraphrases like “thirty pieces of silver”, “if I have not love I have nothing”.

Language like this is very emotive especially to people brought up religious and therefore can be used to emotionally manipulate others.

So, yeah, I have a nascent theory that Jacks association with TT goes back to her Sunday school teacher Baptist days and she’s probably quite integrated into them, hence why they continue to support her and in effect help to market her books.

If it could be proven that their support has materially boosted her book sales over the course of her career, then…well, you could argue it doesn’t matter as long as she raises money for them. But it doesn’t seem entirely appropriate to me.

I agree with what @Lucy Aeroplane said about public bodies / charities not always being smart about who they associate with and allowing convictions or prejudices to cloud their judgement. I think that’s what happening here.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
This is hilarious, she’s growing her hair out so is using stunt head now, cos it will be long by time of publication..
Didn’t she just get most of her hair shaved off? looool
“…for continuity purposes” Can you imagine trying to maintain continuity with the arch shapeshifter 🤣🤣🤣 “I’m sorry, she’s done bleeping WHAT now?!??” 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Forgot to add re the Trussell Trust promotion that since the book hasn't officially been released, any orders placed for it now will be pre-orders that will be fulfilled on the day of publication. A lot of pre-orders for a book gives it a big bump in first-day/first-week sales, which then helps the book get noticed by online algorithms (big factor for promotion on sites like Amazon), and also might help the book get into the best-seller charts more quickly.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 33
If Jack drank 200 units a week of whisky and painstakingly transferred the same amount into an account since January 2019 how much does she have? #jackmaths
When she says she’s on the GCSE syllabus, is this one of the questions?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 56
I have no faith in The Trussell Trust whatsoever since the Jack Monroe fiasco. The fact they were associated with her at that time and have been steadfast in their support is sickening, and damages their whole sector, IMO.
Added to that, there are people starving and the TT have £39m in hand at the end of the financial year is even worse.

I’ve contemplated raising a whistle blower report to the charity commission about their association with her. I’m not sure how that would work.
I don’t know how they are able to promote her work, it doesn’t appear to be in their charitable object According to CC website.

Reactions: 51
Grunking through the media hoping to find a shampoo Lorraine chaos (thank you for the readalong @HotesTilaire dear heart - it was as though I was there), I found a clip of her telling Lorraine that the tories were killing everyone again and discovered a whole new to me hairdo.

WTF is this??

D54212A1-B212-4D55-A1D4-A1ABAB2F9455.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 69
One more bump of big maffs before my head explodes.

She claims rent and bills takes up 94% of her income. IF, by some bleeping miracle, the evil landlady really is shooting herself in the foot by charging such a low rate, that would mean she pays;

94% rent, council tax, gas, electricity, water, sewerage (obviously not insurance)

11% on private medication.

Last time I looked, 94 + 11 = 105.

So she pays out (so must pay herself) 105% of the 100% salary she pays herself before adding in £23 for food and the prescription prepayment certificate for the other meds. And the trains, buses, clothes from Asda, Etsy dupes (laugh), make up, tampons, etc, etc, etc.

Like I said, mathematically impossible.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 50
I’ve only been to Wales once; Portmeirion. You bet your boots me and Mr Laz dressed like we were extras in The Prisoner ♥
I've only been to Wales three times, and it was Portmeirion every time. Only dressed up the once, though.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
A number of Frauen have questioned why the Trussell Trust keep platforming Jack and essentially helping her sell her books. They are essentially like a marketing arm for her at this point.

I’ve been mithering about this and I wonder if Jacks association with TT doesn’t go way back to when she was an active Baptist Christian.

The TT is very Christian and, interestingly, their website says:

“The Trussell Trust is an anti-poverty charity “founded on Christian principles” and cites Matthew 25:35-36 as its founding verse:

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.“

Jack has paraphrased this Bible verse as a title for a blog post and also a talk she did in Parliament (Both entitled “I was hungry and thirsty, were you there?”)

I also found this interesting article in which TT stands accused of “pushing” Christianity onto some Muslim clients who were only there to get food and not to be converted:

One of the more striking things about Jack to me is that she remains a little evangelical Christian round the edges and often uses evangelical type language / Biblical paraphrases like “thirty pieces of silver”, “if I have not love I have nothing”.

Language like this is very emotive especially to people brought up religious and therefore can be used to emotionally manipulate others.

So, yeah, I have a nascent theory that Jacks association with TT goes back to her Sunday school teacher Baptist days and she’s probably quite integrated into them, hence why they continue to support her and in effect help to market her books.

If it could be proven that their support has materially boosted her book sales over the course of her career, then…well, you could argue it doesn’t matter as long as she raises money for them. But it doesn’t seem entirely appropriate to me.

I agree with what @Lucy Aeroplane said about public bodies / charities not always being smart about who they associate with and allowing convictions or prejudices to cloud their judgement. I think that’s what happening here.
Remember she gave a speech to an influential Baptist organisation a few years back and when the canal discovered she had - a long time ago but still - been complaining on the Lib Dems board about Christians being discriminated against. Yeah, I definitely think religion has a role in this

• Wow
Reactions: 36
Grunking through the media hoping to find a shampoo Lorraine chaos (thank you for the readalong @HotesTilaire dear heart - it was as though I was there), I found a clip of her telling Lorraine that the tories were killing everyone again and discovered a whole new to me hairdo.

WTF is this??

View attachment 1757941
That's the "I'd like to speak to the manager" Jack. Probably to complain that the Smart Price pasta is 1p more than it was last month.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I don't think there is anything deep about the TT/Jack relationship. I don't think there's much of a relationship at all.
TT are an easy, recognisable name for publishers to latch onto. They're going to say yes to stuff that raises their profile. They're also not going to call out anyone who has raised the sorts of sums Jack has for them. But equally they've not taken her on as an ambassador - if fingers Kerridge or that man had done similar fundraisers TT would be banging on their door for some sweet sweet PR/partnerships.

Also - the TT part of the Teemill fundraiser was poorly executed, but above board (although some pressure was applied, I think a donation was always forthcoming).

It's basically laziness all around. TT have no national "competition" with anything like the name recognition/cache.

Reactions: 50
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.