Jack Monroe #431 Close your begs, woman!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry dear heart, I’d never heard it before until earlier up the thread. I thought someone said it’s what Jack(or someone on MN) called them. I thought it was an awful term too. Didn’t mean to upset you.
Yes sorry that's me, it was used on MN a lot around the time I was choosing a nursery for my child who is ages with the SB and it upset me hugely as a working parent with no family support and a moral conscience, to the point where it has stuck with me for more than a decade. So I thought that term might well have influenced known Victorian thinker and MNer Jack with her train of thought at the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I think “dear heart” is from a jay rayner tweet to Jack? I can’t follow him now, after that

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 23
I so want to join in this thread but in case you haven’t noticed, I’m busy in a meeting with Ed FFS.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Someone at my work has been off for 6 weeks due to one broken bone in his big toe. We have an incredible hybrid working strategy and he was offered WFH but oh no. HELLO ARE YOU ON TATTLE? :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
Not to elevenerife you but my mate managed to get 8 weeks off and a phased return to work with a bust ankle last year. She had an office job and worked from home. Best/worst thing was it was a beer injury that she passed off as a hit and run and she got a massive promotion after.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 61
Just read a really interesting piece about 'a day in the life'of a 999 call handler. I have always been perplexed at how the jack we currently know & loathe could have been in any way remotely competent at the role. If anyone else is interested this is what I took from the article: On each watch there are 3 rotating roles, Fire position, Radio & what seems to be Admin. Fire takes the 999 calls & gets things going & has overall control of first response, Radio is in touch with crews as they attend & return from calls, updating incident logs & tracking status of appliances etc, Admin seems to be vital but mundane day to day jobs, checking with mechanics etc. The idea seems to be that on each of your 4 shift blocks a month (4 days on & 4 off) you move round each position to ensure experience & competence in each role. I'm wildly speculating that Jack was put on permanent admin position for the publics safety & her watch mates sanity.
Point is I suppose, 4 shift blocks a month, so only 1 or 2 on each shift block on Fire position, the low incidence of house fire deaths as mentioned by previous poster, the very short amount of time she was employed (and taking off long maternity & extensive sick time no doubt) its very unlikely that Jack had even 1 phone call as dramatic / traumatic as she makes out.
GIANT SURPRISE THERE FRAUS. x

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 75
I walked round on a broken leg for six weeks (long story, undiagnosed stress fracture, walking on a broken leg hurts a lot, 0/10 do not recommend), I worked from home for one day. Pffffft.
I once broke a couple of ribs in very unusual circumstances [ 🔺 ] on a Saturday night, and didn't got to A&E until the following Tuesday. Never missed a day of work at work.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
Andi Oliver stole from her staff :(

(I found that out on here and was sad so I’m afraid now you have to be too)
OK, I give up on chefs. Next thing I'll find out is that Heston copied all of his recipes from Jack and it'll push me over the edge.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.