Jack Monroe #422 Is there no beginning to her talents?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone worked it out - it's thousands and thousands of postcards, prints and other stuff. She'd have to pay to print and post them, and she's almost certainly spent all the Patreon money on tat and so can't afford to complete her obligations in this regard. Plus if people suddenly got two years' worth of Patreon rewards on the doormat in one go, they might
  1. realise they've been paying for naff all for two years
  2. realise that the rewards are a load of rubbish
and cancel their subscription on the back of either or both 1. and 2.
It's completely nuts. How quite someone can justify still taking the cash without delivering goods I don't know. Morally bankrupt.

Reactions: 49
It's completely nuts. How quite someone can justify still taking the cash without delivering goods I don't know. Morally bankrupt.
It'll be our fault, just like her relapse. She doesn't take responsibility for anything.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
If Jack can't fulfil her Patreon obligations then she needs to cancel it. I think she's unable to provide refunds because the total sum of money she's taken is huge (and she's probably spent it).

I understand that Patreon doesn't get involved in disputes, but if someone's promising to deliver specific rewards and they don't, is that not a breach of whatever agreement they made when they signed up? Does Jack not have any liability for this?

• Heart
Reactions: 51
The viennetta posting makes me feel so embarrassed for her. You can tell she’s trying so hard to make it into ‘her thing’ but it’s so forced. It’s like someone giving themselves a nickname. You know how in your group of friends you might become known for being really into something and your friends start sending you stuff they see related to it as a joke because they associate it with you…she’s trying to do that, but without the friends.
Like when she said all her friends in the fire service called her "honey badger" 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 85
She has no morals. And what pisses me off is she could have sorted it (relatively) easily quite early on, when she realised she was massively over-committed. She should have apologised, said "I did not realise people would be so keen to support this poor smol pixie so I went overboard with the rewards, here is what's going to happen."

Then she should have rationalised the tiers, switched to 99% digital rewards, such as recipes on Patreon a month in advance of them being published on her blog, exclusive blog posts, high quality digital photos for people to download and print at home (or even a link-up with a photo printing service offering a discounted print & frame and delivery to your home option), higher tiers get one physical reward in the post once a year. The recipe posts could even have been scheduled on her blog to automatically post a month later, and then her blog links with her twitter so the link posts automatically, so there'd be no extra work involved once she'd written the recipe.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
She has no morals. And what pisses me off is she could have sorted it (relatively) easily quite early on, when she realised she was massively over-committed. She should have apologised, said "I did not realise people would be so keen to support this poor smol pixie so I went overboard with the rewards, here is what's going to happen."

Then she should have rationalised the tiers, switched to 99% digital rewards, such as recipes on Patreon a month in advance of them being published on her blog, exclusive blog posts, high quality digital photos for people to download and print at home (or even a link-up with a photo printing service offering a discounted print & frame and delivery to your home option), higher tiers get one physical reward in the post once a year. The recipe posts could even have been scheduled on her blog to automatically post a month later, and then her blog links with her twitter so the link posts automatically, so there'd be no extra work involved once she'd written the recipe.
Of course, she'd fail even that.

We're still waiting for the chocolate pancake recipe.

• Haha
Reactions: 47

The thing is though, if she responds to it, people will be reminded that they’re paying for this and cancel. So she’s left with a choice of:
fulfilling the rewards and people cancelling,
not fulfilling the rewards and getting what she perceives as trolling comments on Twitter,
Putting her fingers in her ears and continue instead to play the victim.

I look like I’m stopping the hat from going on my head. Gerroff, me hair is done, noooo!
I was reading another (different) forum post about JM yesterday with the thread title JM is ace or similar. It was interesting to read the slow realisation, over several months, that she is not ace, but a bit of a wrong ‘un.
Yes. I know the forum you're talking about! It was very illuminating.

They started off defending her, very much like many of us did in the (long distant, innocent) past, assuming she was one of the good guys. Based on Hopkins, Guardian articles, the odd Twitter zinger against the bad guys etc. This is the core support she's depended on and benefited from over the years.

It's only a small group on that thread, but I think it's representative of the shift taking place since Molly.

As soon as people find out more about the inconsistencies (*cough*) of her origin story and current/recent circumstances, the whole house of cards tumbles down. As you said, many have concluded she's a wrong 'un, or run out of sympathy.

See a later post from that thread as an example: "Monroe seemed to spend most of her time complaining that they were working 14hr+ days (doing what?!) and finding twitter exhausting. Doesn't sound like it was helping Jack work any better and just causing aggro. Get rid."

There are still some who are wilfully ignoring the inconsistencies (neckbeards, Diva.wps LOL!) but it seems like they're dwindling while a silent majority of her followers/supporters are backing away like Homer into the hedge. And more of the unbelievers are voicing their doubts.

ETA - Marilyn Monroe (no relation) looks so pretty in her hat :)

• Heart
Morning behatted canal, and very splendid they look too. Just to say I have added the FOI response to the Media section as I see there is a dissenting jackopath on the hellsite complaining it’s fake because it still isn’t on ONS website.
Quoting like a ninny but I have also added acknowledgement from ONS in which they allocate the reference number for all avoidance of doubt that I didn’t bleeping make it up.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
Yes. I know the forum you're talking about! It was very illuminating.

They started off defending her, very much like many of us did in the (long distant, innocent) past, assuming she was one of the good guys. Based on Hopkins, Guardian articles, the odd Twitter zinger against the bad guys etc. This is the core support she's depended on and benefited from over the years.

It's only a small group on that thread, but I think it's representative of the shift taking place since Molly.

As soon as people find out more about the inconsistencies (*cough*) of her origin story and current/recent circumstances, the whole house of cards tumbles down. As you said, many have concluded she's a wrong 'un, or run out of sympathy.

See a later post from that thread as an example: "Monroe seemed to spend most of her time complaining that they were working 14hr+ days (doing what?!) and finding twitter exhausting. Doesn't sound like it was helping Jack work any better and just causing aggro. Get rid."

There are still some who are wilfully ignoring the inconsistencies (neckbeards, Diva.wps LOL!) but it seems like they're dwindling while a silent majority of her followers/supporters are backing away like Homer into the hedge. And more of the unbelievers are voicing their doubts.
I think it's quite difficult for many to disbelieve a sad story. As in your head your need to sympathise with those less fortunate is strong. I remember someone in my life, the first time they heard of Jack's story, saying something akin to "yeh not believing that I'm afraid. Makes no sense" almost immediately. I remember thinking how quick to judge, must have an issue with trust. Maybe they had a bad experience. Oh well, onward with unquestioning support I go. Nope. I was the one who was totally in the wrong for not having my normal level of questioning just because it was a sad story. The other person had lived through low income in Southend. So had a feeling the info just didn't reflect what they knew, and Jack's actions didn't represent the actions they'd have taken. I think that is what then makes people more angry. The feeling you believed without question and that person managed to get "more" than a usual level of untested sympathy.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Quoting myself like a ninny, but the tiers are MENTAL!!
what on earth made her think this was realistic, and that £44 a month plus VAT was acceptable for a no mark like her? (£44 a month + VAT for 2yrs = £1,267.20)
Worse still is that people are paying it, and we’ve had proof of this.

so for one person in the £44 tier, to provide them with what they’ve paid for, she’d need to provide:

• fixing and updating her website, then sending:
• 24 months of website discount codes
• 456 limited edition art postcards
• 104 double sided, premium thickness, A5 recipe cards with full colour photographs. These recipes will be brand new and not shared elsewhere.
• 24 prints or photographs by Jack or prints or illustrations by cool independent artists
• a signed copy of her book before release - last book release was May 2020; so assuming you had this, you’d be paying £1,144 to receive Thrifty Kitchen in December rather than January.
• one mounted, signed, framed photograph of food and 23 subsequent signed and mounted ones.

ETA: that’s 608 prints, photos and postcards and a book.
for one person.
Imagine all that tut in one person's house. I can't imagine being that big of a fan of anything, never mind a d-list celeb who nobody remembers.
I can only picture their house looking like Alan Partridge's obsessed fan

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
The tide’s turning for sure. How Jack, a talentless charlatan who profited from the fact that any talentless fool who can attract attention can make money keeps getting away with it is bizarre. However saw someone yesterday who was previously pro Jack who said they’ve now seen a lot of stuff to make them question it. Hearing this a lot. She can keep pissing around with vienetta & nonsense but people are paying more attention now that the criticisms are far more public. It’s a matter of time.
No doubt Jack, with all her hoarded cash obtained under false pretences (you’re not poor Jack) will keep flogging this dead horse with no sense of shame but she’s definitely fading fast.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
We know that Jack is tone deaf (see attempts at playing the piano and singing) but it seems to be almost trolling to be wanging on about ice cream in a country where there are organisations setting up warm banks 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 59
I think it's quite difficult for many to disbelieve a sad story. As in your head your need to sympathise with those less fortunate is strong. I remember someone in my life, the first time they heard of Jack's story, saying something akin to "yeh not believing that I'm afraid. Makes no sense" almost immediately. I remember thinking how quick to judge, must have an issue with trust. Maybe they had a bad experience. Oh well, onward with unquestioning support I go. Nope. I was the one who was totally in the wrong for not having my normal level of questioning just because it was a sad story. The other person had lived through low income in Southend. So had a feeling the info just didn't reflect what they knew, and Jack's actions didn't represent the actions they'd have taken. I think that is what then makes people more angry. The feeling you believed without question and that person managed to get "more" than a usual level of untested sympathy.
Yes I read another forum yesterday where the guy who posted the comments exposing JM pretty much had to apologise after a pile on by other forumites - they were told in no short shrift that they’d been conned by AM et al.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Hello. I'm a sometimes lurker moved to sign up as I need to get something off my chest. I appreciate this is harking back to the previous thread so somewhat out of flow with the present conversation so apologies for that but 'I'm Scottish' Jack has really annoyed me.

As an actual first language Scots speaker barely the right side of 50 I am one of hundreds of thousands of living Scots who went through an education system that denigrated our language. If we spoke Scots in school we were called 'stupid' and told to 'speak properly', by which they meant 'in English'. While corporal punishment was outlawed when I was in primary 3 there are people just a few years older than me who were belted for speaking Scots. There are people alive right now who were physically assaulted as children for speaking their own language in their own schools in their own country.

This went on for much of the 20th century, only ending when the then Thatcher government revamped the system in the late 80s/early90s. It (along with media and political denigration which still rears its ugly head occasionally to this day) has resulted in us having a complex relationship with our language and with English in terms of when and where we use each and how we code switch between them.

Jack Monroe knows nothing of this as she is a middle class English woman from Essex. You'd think someone who spends their life spouting postmodernist hooey online and hurling abuse at non-believers might be familiar with the concept of cultural appropriation but as so often the rules Jack seeks to enforce against other, less well off and well connected, people seemingly don't apply to her.

As a general rule I am not big on the concept of 'cultural appropriation' much of which I think would be better described as 'cultural appreciation' but Jack's 'I'm Scottish, this is how I speak' is an honest to goodness example of the former. She is a flaming hypocrite.

There, I feel better now.

• Heart
Reactions: 181
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.