Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
duck, Jack pissed me off.

I'm from a poor/WC background. My dad has been an exterminator (when he met my mum) and has worked in a factory since I was little. He starts work at 4am.

My mum worked selling farming supplies until her traumatic brain injury (from childhood) meant she couldn't work anymore. She now watches a lot of game shows.

My brothers also have very WC jobs. I'm the only uni educated one.

My mum wasn't dropping me off to school in a land rover. She was leaving me with my 10 year younger brother at 14 so she could go to work as she couldn't afford childcare after my grandparents died. She was calling me in to school "sick" so she wouldn't get fired.

My dad was dropping me off at the doctors with my brother so I could take him in because then he would lose an hour less of work because my brother was sick/needed vaccines.

I was going to my brothers parent teacher conferences.

My parents were not able to afford extras at school. I literally counted pennies for school lunches sometimes. Or went to friends homes so their parents would feed me.

duck Jack

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 63
The photo of her in the beige jumper is lovely. She looks really pretty

ETA Just read the caption and that’s cringey bullshit but you can’t have everything

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Exactly - my oldest reads a lot, always has done. He read The Hunger Games trilogy when he was 10 - some of my friends were REALLY disapproving of it, but I was like - if he wants to read it, why not? I’m not saying your kids should read it (although I spose it made them think about reading it and their parents didn’t want them to).

My son and I talked about the themes, etc. If anything, him reading books like that led him to read Lord of the Flies and Animal Farm - and we talked about them. Honestly, I’m just always happy to have a shared topic to discuss, as it’s less and less as he gets older!
Dystopias are my jam. Do you want any recs? I have read some not very famous ones recently that are amazing

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@Veronicaaa Did you ask about lips and when they first changed?

View attachment 175835

View attachment 175836
YES! I kind of overlooked the smiling ones because I always find it harder to tell lip work when they're drawn back, that first shot makes it so obvious though. In other news, I checked out some of that Question Time appearance to see if I could clock anything in her hair (quelle surprise - nada) HOWEVER about halfway through she says she doesn't mind renting, thinks it's good actually (though presumably around this time she was living rent-free at one of Allegra's many properties).

Reactions: 20
She does look really lovely in the beige jumper pic. If she has had her lips done (and from those pictures it does look that way) fair play to her she found a good lip person (no idea what they are called) as they look so much nicer and more natural than the majority of lip-jobs!

Reactions: 23
Hello everyone, first time posting here! Tell me if I'm not doing it right...and apologies for length. I have lots of observations about this chick!
I'm so glad to see these threads about JM as I thought I was the only one who saw through her BS. I used to think she was ok although her culinary ability was always clearly completely exaggerated - an early recipe of hers in the Guard was, IIRC, 'cheesy peas pasta' which was pasta, mushy peas and cheese all heated up together. That was it. That was the recipe. The only way that could be seen as a serious recipe would be if it was on a blog for hardcore stoners who can barely find their kitchen let alone cook in it. But still - I just thought it was the usual Guardian fetishization of the 'deserving poor' especially since she was pretty and LGBT - usual stuff from the Graun.
But as the years went on I could see more and more how fake she is. The first red flags were the constant new health / identity dramas - trans / anorexia / alcoholism / autism etc etc. It was always something. And when I began following her on Twitter I realised that her 'working class single mum' shtick was as fake as they come. Her tone, phraseology and vocabulary are all very middle class and very privately educated posh girl middle class at that. Other working class people on this thread will know exactly what I mean. I grew up WC but got into the MC through going to uni and getting into a MC profession so I've been well placed to see the fundamental differences in the way people communicate. That humorously self-deprecating tone, the arch irony, the quirks like ironically using capitals for A Very Important Thing, subtle word choices (e.g. "your support means the ABSOLUTE WORLD") - WC people just do not talk like this. They are more direct and very, very rarely use self deprecating exaggeration at all. She's faking her background. Of course, Jack's fans wouldn't recognise this as they are all MC themselves.
As for the period of poverty. I believe it's totally exaggerated: not necessarily the depth of it but certainly the time period. Reading between the lines of various interviews I reckon what happened was that she lost her job at the fire station and then had to wait the customary 6 weeks for her benefits to come through. And yeah, if you don't have savings, that 6 weeks is hell. If you have maybe £150 of savings or can get a loan or overdraft then you can eke it out on food but without housing benefit you are truly stuffed when it comes to rent. And yeah it is depressing and terrifying, I fully get that. The thing is it's not uncommon. The things she's talked about (unscrewing lightbulbs, going to bed with clothes on cos cold, not having second helpings) are things that I and many on this thread and MILLIONS of others in this country have experienced, many for much longer than 6 weeks. It's horrible, but usually you manage to get out of it. And it's far from uncommon. But she's made it her entire personality and uses it to fish for constant attention and to bully and dogpile others. I mean, how did she get her big break in the Guardian anyway? I know loads of single mums and none of them have got fawning Guardian articles because they cooked a basic meal. Believe me the girl has media connections. No way did the Guardian just 'find' her. And the thing is her followers believe her tale of woe because they're all MC and the idea of having to ration your heating to them sounds like the equivalent of living in Raqqa under ISIS because they have no idea that this is normal and sometimes what less well-off people just have to do.

As for the dirty hands. I'm ethnically similar to Jack - but a bit further east and both parents. I'm much darker skinned than she is. So I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that that's not melanin, it's DIRT.

FFS, this girl is fake and she's poison. I have some observations about her crappy, damaging use of AA and alcoholism claims too and also the possible psychological effects of her upbringing which could explain her current behaviour but will stop now as don't want to thread hog on my first outing lol

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 101
Hello everyone, first time posting here! Tell me if I'm not doing it right...and apologies for length. I have lots of observations about this chick!
I'm so glad to see these threads about JM as I thought I was the only one who saw through her BS. I used to think she was ok although her culinary ability was always clearly completely exaggerated - an early recipe of hers in the Guard was, IIRC, 'cheesy peas pasta' which was pasta, mushy peas and cheese all heated up together. That was it. That was the recipe. The only way that could be seen as a serious recipe would be if it was on a blog for hardcore stoners who can barely find their kitchen let alone cook in it. But still - I just thought it was the usual Guardian fetishization of the 'deserving poor' especially since she was pretty and LGBT - usual stuff from the Graun.
But as the years went on I could see more and more how fake she is. The first red flags were the constant new health / identity dramas - trans / anorexia / alcoholism / autism etc etc. It was always something. And when I began following her on Twitter I realised that her 'working class single mum' shtick was as fake as they come. Her tone, phraseology and vocabulary are all very middle class and very privately educated posh girl middle class at that. Other working class people on this thread will know exactly what I mean. I grew up WC but got into the MC through going to uni and getting into a MC profession so I've been well placed to see the fundamental differences in the way people communicate. That humorously self-deprecating tone, the arch irony, the quirks like ironically using capitals for A Very Important Thing, subtle word choices (e.g. "your support means the ABSOLUTE WORLD") - WC people just do not talk like this. They are more direct and very, very rarely use self deprecating exaggeration at all. She's faking her background. Of course, Jack's fans wouldn't recognise this as they are all MC themselves.
As for the period of poverty. I believe it's totally exaggerated: not necessarily the depth of it but certainly the time period. Reading between the lines of various interviews I reckon what happened was that she lost her job at the fire station and then had to wait the customary 6 weeks for her benefits to come through. And yeah, if you don't have savings, that 6 weeks is hell. If you have maybe £150 of savings or can get a loan or overdraft then you can eke it out on food but without housing benefit you are truly stuffed when it comes to rent. And yeah it is depressing and terrifying, I fully get that. The thing is it's not uncommon. The things she's talked about (unscrewing lightbulbs, going to bed with clothes on cos cold, not having second helpings) are things that I and many on this thread and MILLIONS of others in this country have experienced, many for much longer than 6 weeks. It's horrible, but usually you manage to get out of it. And it's far from uncommon. But she's made it her entire personality and uses it to fish for constant attention and to bully and dogpile others. I mean, how did she get her big break in the Guardian anyway? I know loads of single mums and none of them have got fawning Guardian articles because they cooked a basic meal. Believe me the girl has media connections. No way did the Guardian just 'find' her. And the thing is her followers believe her tale of woe because they're all MC and the idea of having to ration your heating to them sounds like the equivalent of living in Raqqa under ISIS because they have no idea that this is normal and sometimes what less well-off people just have to do.

As for the dirty hands. I'm ethnically similar to Jack - but a bit further east and both parents. I'm much darker skinned than she is. So I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that that's not melanin, it's DIRT.

FFS, this girl is fake and she's poison. I have some observations about her crappy, damaging use of AA and alcoholism claims too and also the possible psychological effects of her upbringing which could explain her current behaviour but will stop now as don't want to thread hog on my first outing lol
Spot on.

Reactions: 27
Slightly OT and apologies - I can sort of connect it on the sweary teens subplot -

I've recently found evidence that my son is being bullied. He has a "close" friend who's been bullying him about being so-called fat for some time now on and off but who thinks it's "jokes" and no big deal. Anyway, now a couple of other friends have been pulled in and they over the last few days have been messaging my son telling him over and over he's fat, nobody really likes him, he's a cry baby, can't spell, stupid, etc. My son is no angel and has said some stuff in return to all this that is way less than ideal, but I also figure that when you continually poke a dragon with a stick and then get others to do it too then at some point it's going to lash out. Idon't know what to do. It's out of school so I don't know whether to contact them (they have excellent pastoral support). I am raging but I'm also tit at confrontation.
Draw all your evidence. Some schools have excellent antibullying policies. Some don't. Escalate, escalate, escalate until you see results. You can take this to governors, the council, and legal recourse if nothing is done. I was severely bullied in primary and on reflection my parents and I agree I ought to have just moved schools. Hopefully your son's school have a really good action plan. But you are the parent and the school is in loco parentis. If they don't fulfil that duty and protect him (even from other kids) they're basically being neglectful.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
My now grown up children also call me and my ex-husband by our first names. It’s fairly common in our middle-class, liberal circle. It’s strange for us that other people find it so weird. My name isn’t, nor has never been ‘mum.’
I was bought up in a pub so i mirrored the customers and have always called my parents by their first names. They equal mum and dad to me and I'm lucky I've never known anyone else in my 40+ years by those names! Weirdly tho, my cousins in their 30s have started calling their mum by her first name and i find it offensive and told them off!

The 'in this essay i will...' is a TED talk pisstake...i don't understand it enough to explain it.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Also - further to her hating coriander, the Dal she made on DKL has got a huge handful in, and she’s eating it happily 🤷🏻‍♀️
I don't understand this. I hate fresh coriander - it tastes like soap to me. It's down to genetic make up apparently:

---Depending on your smell receptors, you may experience a soap-like flavour, rather than the herby flavour others experience.---

So either she can't eat it or she can. What's the point of lying?!

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I don't understand this. I hate fresh coriander - it tastes like soap to me. It's down to genetic make up apparently:

---Depending on your smell receptors, you may experience a soap-like flavour, rather than the herby flavour others experience.---

So either she can't eat it or she can. What's the point of lying?!

Quite. It tastes like soap to me so I can't stand it, even the tiniest amount will ruin a dish for me. Hated when Delia tried to make it trendy and M&S started putting it in their salads. You either like it or you don't. It's not something you develop a taste for or change your mind about. It's an interesting genetic oddity.

Reactions: 23
I can’t stand coriander. Or tea, they taste and smell exactly the same to me. Yeuch.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.