Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Totally agree having read her blog from 2012/3 this morning! She had a different tone of voice and covered a lot of wider social issues in it. Food was honestly a lot more of an aside in the blog posts and maybe counted for 30% of the content. It was more of an example of how to cope while living in poverty. I can see why people became her fan in the earlier days because she largely comes across as likeable in it (aside from the JO mention haha). Absolutely nothing like how she writes now. Having read it, I really don't doubt she struggled late 2011/2012 - although she mentioned having trial jobs and three weeks of shifts in March 2012 so not the eight months of no jobs/300 applications she later claimed (having left the Fire Service in late 2011 it seems).

But I do struggle to understand why she self-flagellated to the point where she didn't ask her parents for help.

It actually made me go back into the cycle of feeling pity for her. I think fame has fucked her up.

If anyone is interested in taking a look: https://web.archive.org/web/20121013232912/http://agirlcalledjack.com/
Imteresting. He writing was rather earnest, but she came over as more mature and capable than she does now.I

I read about her moving in to a new flat, two things caught my sttentiotn. First, she said it's still a two bed flat. I took this to mean that she was pleased that her child still had their own room. No, she meant it only has two bedrooms.
Second, she was pleased that she did need to apply for council housing.

Reactions: 17
I don’t know where the parent names discussion came from but I cannot stand ‘mummy’ and ‘daddy’ (beyond small children saying it). My ex is Irish and uses these names even in his 30s, same as his parents who are in their 60s. Apparently it’s pretty common over there, but where I am it’s only used by preschoolers and posh people, so it sounds weird to hear a non-posh adult using it without irony

My daughter calls me mama (fancy!)

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Apparently coriander can taste like urine to some people, although hopefully not many people are having a swig of wee to compare! I love the stuff, but I'm really not fond of basil, which a lot of people love. Very weird thing to lie about though. Like, why?

Reactions: 11
Quite. It tastes like soap to me so I can't stand it, even the tiniest amount will ruin a dish for me. Hated when Delia tried to make it trendy and M&S started putting it in their salads. You either like it or you don't. It's not something you develop a taste for or change your mind about. It's an interesting genetic oddity.
Don’t hate me, I adore coriander , so much in fact , I chop it off the stalk and shove it in my gob, love it like Jack loves a Twitter pile on.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
Don’t hate me, I adore coriander , so much in fact , I chop it off the stalk and shove it in my gob, love it like Jack loves a Twitter pile on.
Ooh me too! One of my favourite snacks is a pile of coriander, on top of a nice chunky hummus that’s had a sprinkle of paprika and olive oil, (oh and a load of sea salt and fresh pepper) tipped over it. I’m tempted to have some now 😋

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
But that's the whole point. You either taste soap or herbal loveliness. I think it's the only food where the taste is predefined by your genes. There have been scientific studies and numerous articles about it.

Munch away!

Reactions: 28
I don’t know where the parent names discussion came from but I cannot stand ‘mummy’ and ‘daddy’ (beyond small children saying it). My ex is Irish and uses these names even in his 30s, same as his parents who are in their 60s. Apparently it’s pretty common over there, but where I am it’s only used by preschoolers and posh people, so it sounds weird to hear a non-posh adult using it without irony

My daughter calls me mama (fancy!)
I’m the opposite, I’m not keen on “mama” it reminds me of something a creepy possessed doll or little ghost girl might say in a horror film 😆 would hate to hear one of my kids calling it in the night!
My Nan always referred to my grandad as “Daddy” whether she was talking to the grandkids or my parents or asking if he wanted a cup of tea etc. I think it’s sweet and she definitely wasn’t posh or a preschooler. She was east London through and through but it was a nice way of saying he was the head of the family.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Hi could anyone please tell me how to post reactions to a post ,a like does not always seem appropriate .Thank you

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Another tweet rests in peace with dear old Viv. There are way too many offshoots now though, I am too tired to work out which.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
My mum would flat out ignore me if I started calling her anything other than mum. And she's a bloody stubborn woman too, so she'd be in it for the long haul. She's still pissed off at me that I've stopped calling her sister aunty, and that my daughter doesn't call anyone aunty or uncle. It's one of those 'you do you' things isn't it?

Reactions: 10
Well, 1i like coriander

2 she approached me to work together

3 then she disappeared

Hey ho

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Eldest is fine. Operation was only an hour and actually turned out to be the more positive problem of the two (wont bore you with the details kinda gross too)
So a good day.
Thank you kind caring coven of haus fraus.

Alas....
Jack Monroe has made another comment trivialising and generalising autism and it's not made me as a ragey as it normally does.
Because I'm used to her ignorant ways x
Oh this is lovely news!! I’m so happy for you & eldest ❤ both of you need a lot of choc and rest x

speaking of choc, @choccydigestive I have nothing useful to add other than I really hope your little boy is alright, bless him so much. Really hope you’re both doing okay and please let us know how you get on - I don’t know how good child MH services are but maybe his school could have some resources or a trained member of staff to help rebuild a bit of self esteem cos that’s quite the battering to take at such a young age. Although I would argue that the best of us are cry babies 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I read about her moving in to a new flat, two things caught my sttentiotn. First, she said it's still a two bed flat. I took this to mean that she was pleased that her child still had their own room. No, she meant it only has two bedrooms.
Second, she was pleased that she did need to apply for council housing.
The part about it only being a two bed flat is so entitled, even she admits it’s all they need. LHA for two bedrooms in my area is not nearly enough for the market rent, the shortfall is considerable so many have to share a bedroom with their kid(s). She was so ungrateful

Also she mentioned painting the rooms, again it’s rare to find a flat you can do what you want with. Even if she wasn’t risking losing her deposit, why would you spend money unnecessarily while living on the breadline? In the next blog post just three days later, she complained that she was back on a £7/week budget. The absolute cheapest tins of paint would cost the equivalent of a couple of weeks food

She was either incredibly bad with managing money or lying

Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.