Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
🎵 The apples are ripe,
The plums are red,
The pistachios are sweating in the fancy Smeg 🎵

(Was it just my school that sang that song? 😂 )
No.

Because you've now given me an earworm that can drown out my Tinnitus. Frankly, I preferred the low grade hissing noise to anything about ink and pages.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
😂There was supposed to be a comma there!
She can now count honorary Frau alongside her honorary double doctorate 😂

Also - those nut butters! If there ever was a case for food looking the same before and after digestion, I think we’ve found exhibit A

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I think you and I would get on on the real world, detective.

And oh my god - yes about the Xbox slang and language 😱 I wouldn’t mind so much, he’s growing up, nearly a teen like yours and let’s be honest, once they start secondary school and go on the bus, and hear stuff in the playground, all innocence around swear words disappears like that!

Just have to protect my 8-year-old (and my cat) 😂
BFFs
pocahontas-the-disney-movie.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Uh yes, such a good point.

It mostly happens on Instagram messages. I did tell him to remove it off his phone for the time being but he uses it a lot for his hobbies and interests.

Thank you, I will definitely look into the resilience reading, it's something he really seems short of these days so that could definitely help.
If it's through IG then you can report it to them. I'm not sure how hot IG are about taking action, Twitter for example are quite quick to remove abuse and quite happily suspend accounts for bullying.
No real advice just to say I know how you feel. Your kid being bullied is awful. We ended up moving our youngest to a different school. Schools can be hit and miss in dealing with it. Our school was shite but have friends who say their kids' schools were brilliant.
Good luck xx

• Heart
Reactions: 16
You’ve just reminded me, are the pistachios still sweating in the smeg? Now that’s a sentence I never thought i’d write.
Many years ago I foolishly bought a Smeg range cooker. It had one of the worst ovens I've ever used and I'm no Baker.
The thing only came with one rack and I had to go into Allders in Croydon and ask for a Smeg Suc 🥴

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
She’s autistic? Who knew? She’s only mentioned it half a million times in the last two years.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
Also - further to her hating coriander, the Dal she made on DKL has got a huge handful in, and she’s eating it happily 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
From that peanut butter article:

Jack Monroe uses salted peanuts because they tend to be cheaper, then roasts them again “to deepen the flavour”. As she rinses them afterwards, they are not overpoweringly salty

Of course she does 🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 52
@choccydigestive I hope you get it sorted. We are going through slightly similar here, with one boy being a wee shite to my son. We’ve had a chat and I’ve explained he’s using him as he knows my son won’t answer/fight back. He’s also doing it to elevate his social standing in the group. Luckily the other boys are not noticing. It’s awful when you might need to speak to another parent. Hugs ❤

Does anyone on the planet know themselves better than Jack? No! She’s always bloody telling us what she’s good at ...being a pharmacist, thinking up things with her maverick brain, sorting out child poverty, calling out “ist”authors. Honestly, if she says once more “I’m very good at.......”, I swear I’ll hunt her down and kick her in the shins!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Slightly OT and apologies - I can sort of connect it on the sweary teens subplot -

I've recently found evidence that my son is being bullied. He has a "close" friend who's been bullying him about being so-called fat for some time now on and off but who thinks it's "jokes" and no big deal. Anyway, now a couple of other friends have been pulled in and they over the last few days have been messaging my son telling him over and over he's fat, nobody really likes him, he's a cry baby, can't spell, stupid, etc. My son is no angel and has said some stuff in return to all this that is way less than ideal, but I also figure that when you continually poke a dragon with a stick and then get others to do it too then at some point it's going to lash out. Idon't know what to do. It's out of school so I don't know whether to contact them (they have excellent pastoral support). I am raging but I'm also tit at confrontation.
Please let school know. I work in education, and this sort of situation is even more insidious when it comes from so-called friends. Perhaps the last resort is a joint meeting with all students/ parents.... socially distanced, OBS... I'd suggest firstly agreeing on a plan of action with your son's school. The suggestion I made above is the final step, but those lads need to be called out, in a responsible way, for their actions. They can decide to change, or if not, I'd take it further. But never in a combative way...in a way where all involved feel heard but also know that behaviour is being clocked, and it's not OK to be behaving in this manner.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
You’ve just reminded me, are the pistachios still sweating in the smeg? Now that’s a sentence I never thought i’d write.
Next thread title..

#Jack Monroe - Are the pistachios still sweating in the Smeg?

Seeing as you were deprived of your thread title this time around I think you should automatically be granted the next.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
@choccydigestive I hope you get it sorted. We are going through slightly similar here, with one boy being a wee shite to my son. We’ve had a chat and I’ve explained he’s using him as he knows my son won’t answer/fight back. He’s also doing it to elevate his social standing in the group. Luckily the other boys are not noticing. It’s awful when you might need to speak to another parent. Hugs ❤

Does anyone on the planet know themselves better than Jack? No! She’s always bloody telling us what she’s good at ...being a pharmacist, thinking up things with her maverick brain, sorting out child poverty, calling out “ist”authors. Honestly, if she says once more “I’m very good at.......”, I swear I’ll hunt her down and kick her in the shins!
This may be happening outside of school, but it's still a powerful response to let school know...and not generally, but keep a short record of dates/times/circumstances/what was said. It doesn't need to seem a big deal/interrogation of your son each day. Simply a chat. But.... School can support your son in many ways, despite a lot of bullying taking place off-site. X

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Found it - near the end of episode 9 with Shivi and Dr Rangan!
Matt asks Shivi for a quick snack, she says dates and roasted peanut butter; Jack asks Shivi if she ever made her own PB, Shivi says no and Jack agrees 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
As much as we joke about her creating fiction, this is one of the main reasons she would be no good as an author. She cannot grasp the idea of show, don’t tell. She should show us that she is all these things, then she wouldn’t have to tell us (and we would believe her!)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.