Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Same. That's why I couldn't buy lots of fancy fruits when my boys were small, couldn't afford for them to not eat it.

Just be proud of who you are, surely?

• Sad
Reactions: 17
When I was 12 an older girl said I looked like "the fat nun from Sister Act", and when I was evidently horrified she was like "ohhhhh I just mean 'cos you're always smiling". Yeah, sure, thanks.

Anyway, 21 years on and it's one of the many insults adding bulk to the knapsack of slurs. I genuinely believe that as a conventionally attractive woman Jack has never really had the opportunity to grow a sufficiently thick skin.

(Thin skin through lack of exposure is a condition I would kill for, tbh)
Ive had Kathy Najimi - Sister Mary Patrick - too. Hey nun twin! People are bleeping ridiculous. End of.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
9460145A-529B-4B5C-B890-8BFD9C50CB51.jpeg
Don’t get me wrong, I hate the buggers, but for someone who thinks IACGMOH is cruel because of the eating challenges (🤢) she now thinks the spider thing is funny. Bell. End.
Edited to add - sorry, Marmite!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Also for triangulation I strongly resemble my profile pic and love Flower Bomb, Viktor and Rolf.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
I can well imagine, thinking about what 999 call handlers are likely to deal with - I don't think anyone would dispute that it's a very challenging job.
And a respected job too, it’s a shame she dissed it by pretending she did something “better” when a lot of people would be so proud to have that as their job.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
The fragrance chat has me wondering what Ian Hislop smells like. Bet he’s lovely and crisp smelling, with just a hint of something mossy. Like a fresh autumn evening personified.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Can anyone help with my oven problem?
Sixteen years is a fair age for an oven if it's been used a standard amount. From experience I've found when they start cooking unevenly they are usually on their way out, but if it's a particularly expensive one it might be worth getting someone to look at or service it.

Reactions: 15
I actually don't know the name in English! I started getting Brazilian blowdries about 10 years ago (back when it was a multi-day affair and you couldn't wash your hair or put it in a ponytail or behind your ears for 3 days), but the technology has been advancing a lot.

The one I get now is fairly quick and doesn't even make my eyes water from the fumes, which is quite something. It looks a little flat the first couple of days post-treatment, but not as bad as other treatments used to leave it, and it soon settles. I don't speak to my hairdresser in English though, so not sure what I'd ask for if I moved away...
@colouredlines next time you go try and see the name on the bottle if you can please? The one I get you can wash your hair later if you like but it does take a few hours, always interested in defrizzing!

Reactions: 8
The fragrance chat has me wondering what Ian Hislop smells like. Bet he’s lovely and crisp smelling, with just a hint of something mossy. Like a fresh autumn evening personified.
I hope that one day you get close enough to him to find out. Truly. Then he can laugh you into bed! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Babe, same! (Except the area was poor). It’s shocking that someone said that to you, like kids don’t have filters but surely they have some idea what sounds incredibly dickish?! These things stay with us longer than the speakers imagine

I remember sitting next to a boy in class, a wannabe edgy type. We had some banter back and forth until he called me the n word. Incredibly confused, and also ignorant myself, I retorted “but I’m not black!”. After arguing that I was, he held his arm against mine to show the contrast between our skin colours. Up to that point, I’d never properly realised how different I looked

In hindsight I should have told him to bog off as he had clearly never seen a black person before, which was for the best considering what he’d said

I was lucky though. The school was relatively small so everyone had to get along
Ah! Sounds like we had similar ‘other-ness’. Manly handshake in solidarity

• Heart
Reactions: 13
As his official train buddy™️ I can confirm that he never smelt of anything strong enough to pierce through the general funk of a train carriage.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Fit like Quine? Do you need a bosie? ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.