Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She tweeted a photo of her when she was 20 a few weeks ago showing her muscles saying she was training to be one.

That’s why I said that. I saw the photo

I do get that she talks bollocks a lot of the time.
That's precisely what I mean, she implies, but if ever challenged she can say of course I meant I was training to apply I never said I was a fire fighter DID I!!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I think we can't really know what went on with her parents and her family. And just because they are middle class/respectable doesn't mean things were good. My mum, who I suspect is a narc, makes me very wary of accepting help from my parents because it comes with strings. I will do everything I can to avoid ever being in the circumstances where I have to stay in my parents house again. If poverty was more attractive to Jack than staying with her parents, I suspect its because there is more going on there than we can know.

Regarding short term poverty. I had a few years where I was struggling to make my career. I'd used my savings on a masters degree to get me into a specific industry and the next four years was going from one short term, poorly paid job to another. Each job was in another part of the country and my finances slowly dwindled. I ended up with depression and anxiety as I felt myself a failure, I berated myself for not being good enough to get decent jobs, and I had no support network to fall back on because of the moving (and above family problems).

Eventually I found another career route and I got out of that industry and I'm now in a better situation. However, I get rather terrified of being in that situation again - so I can understand the fear and trauma that even a short time on benefits can induce. However, I wouldn't call myself 'working class' due to four years of (and in one case less than) minimum wage work. I also wouldn't count myself as poor because I can only afford to live in shared houses. I also wouldn't think it my place to advise people who live their entire lives in that situation because I had (comparatively) 5 minutes of struggle. In that respect, Jack can come off as a middle-class saviour.
I think you make this point really eloquently. Many people would (boringly) describe me as posh and I have had many many opportunities that my relative privilege has afforded me, and I’m exceptionally lucky and grateful for all of them. I’ve also had some struggles with mental health and I have found anxiety/depression has stopped me reaching out to my very kind parents for help, and for a time I was in a privileged but very difficult situation financially. An ex once referenced the Pulp song “If you called your dad, he could stop this all”.

Jack can get in the ducking sea but I agree that not everyone can seek help when they’re in trouble. As you say though, I would never seek to tell others about my short period of problems and I certainly wouldn’t consider myself a spokesperson for anyone else. But maybe that’s because I’m not a massive narcissist lying cockwomble - just saying.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
When I was a teenager someone once described me as 'that girl with the big round face'. I still carry that moon-face little barb with me
When I was 15 I was called a beached whale when I was a mere size 12.

Reader, I married him. Thankfully I saw senses a mere 15 years later! I wish I’d had the hindsight to kick him in the shins rather than say I do 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I don’t know whether it’s the reference to sausages or the fact that someone else finds Kevin Bridges attractive but this is actually the funniest thread since I joined these boards.

Just to say. For all the people who made folks feel bad at school. Shame on them. I was bullied at school for being a teachers daughter. For being posh which is ridiculous as I’m not. That makes me laugh so much. The last thing I have ever been in my entire life is posh. I was clever as well. Also targeted over that. I actually loved and hated school in equal measure. I did six years at high school so the pluses outweighed the minuses. My best pal at school who also played in the band was also bullied for the same reason. Posh. Which is mad. She lived 10 doors away from me on a council estate.

And for playing in the school band.

It’s amazing the reasons people pick on you.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I used to get that a lot. My mum and dad were planning on travelling after my sisters had left home. They are 15 and 16 years older than me. And then I came along. Add that in with the fact that my dad pinned his hopes on finally getting the son he wanted and then out popped another girl, I definitely felt like a disappointment at times when I was younger ☹
Same. I was the only child in my parents marriage, (my dad had my much older half brother in his previous) and it took them quite a while and a struggle to conceive me. My dad made no secret of the fact he wished I was a boy and my mum had post natal depression which then turned into a general disinterest/resentment so I was saddled with short hair (my dad refused to let me grow it as a child and right through my teens) and also a sense that the fact I'm a girl caused endless disappointment. My dad and I ended up being really close in adulthood ironically, but that feeling of being a disappointment has never really left me I don't think.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
I really have trouble when she takes such umbrage with being labelled as Middle Class - the lady doth protest too much, methinks

Reactions: 25
That pisstaking of being poor is absolutely what middleclass snobs do when their privilege is pointed out to them.

Because you don't bang out £6.95 on a jar of paste or £14.60 for 250g of sausage (Amazon) if you don't know whether you like them when you can't afford to get a new pair of shoes or a winter coat - but you do if it's just a quick 'I wonder what that's like?' in Waitrose whilst you're picking up a coffee to drink whilst your kid is at her ballet lesson.

I'd never tried an olive until I was 30. Because I couldn't afford to take the risk of not liking them. Artichokes (both types) took until I was 40. Not because I was fussy, but because I simply couldn't afford the risk.

So, in the language of my people, one I learned long before I extended my vocabulary through reading (and that changed my accent because I hadn't heard the words before, so had no reference other than what was said in books/dictionaries) - Why don't you just duck off, you po faced prick?

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I was teased at school for how I look - I went to school in very white, middle class area and was one of maybe three (?) non-white kids. I was told I had a ‘very flat face’ by someone who is now happily married to very beautiful south Asian with two lovely looking kids.

My face is heart-shaped and my favourite smell is anything lavender.

Triangulation: complete!!
Babe, same! (Except the area was poor). It’s shocking that someone said that to you, like kids don’t have filters but surely they have some idea what sounds incredibly dickish?! These things stay with us longer than the speakers imagine

I remember sitting next to a boy in class, a wannabe edgy type. We had some banter back and forth until he called me the n word. Incredibly confused, and also ignorant myself, I retorted “but I’m not black!”. After arguing that I was, he held his arm against mine to show the contrast between our skin colours. Up to that point, I’d never properly realised how different I looked

In hindsight I should have told him to bog off as he had clearly never seen a black person before, which was for the best considering what he’d said

I was lucky though. The school was relatively small so everyone had to get along

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I'm from a middle-class background and went to private school, but one in a part of South London not known for its poshness. I code-switch like mad and it's not even vaguely deliberate, but I roam up and down the scale of accents like Paul Young looking for somewhere to hang his hat,. I think my 'normal' accent - the one I use with my partner (though he's privately educated at a very posh school so tends to drag me upwards), my close friends and my family, is very similar to Jack's.
Babe, same other than I got into the grammar parents wanted but had places at a couple of private schools in South London lined up just in case (one was where my mum taught maths so dodged a bullet there). First husband came from Lewisham, picked up his accent a bit and even now I veer between Bianca from Eastenders and a BBC announcer from the 50s 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
@Silver Linings Thank you a million times for the spider warning. Even just reading your post made me feel a bit blegh, so I might’ve cried if I’d actually clicked 😅 I haaaate the little bastards.

@Harold I can’t imagine you with long ginger hair, as to me you either look like your profile pic or like Harold from Neighbours back in the day.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I'd just get a new one, but I'm a bit profligate like that. Ovens usual last us about 10 years, my friend gets through an oven every three years, however she is a tit cook, and I think they die of embarrassment.
I’ve been looking at new ovens. Big range in price!

Oh, just realised, the fabled Puttanesca Funebra (or penne with passata) was the one she cooked and then abandoned and then had a meltdown.

She's such a (insert favourite Scottish swearword)

Also what the duck does it mean? bleep's (Italian) funeral (spanish) pasta? It makes no sense.
Now I remember why I never watched any of those live 🙈. Does she even know there’s a camera there? And don’t even get me started on that gallop on....

She’s a fanny!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Same. I was the only child in my parents marriage, (my dad had my much older half brother in his previous) and it took them quite a while and a struggle to conceive me. My dad made no secret of the fact he wished I was a boy and my mum had post natal depression which then turned into a general disinterest/resentment so I was saddled with short hair (my dad refused to let me grow it as a child and right through my teens) and also a sense that that the fact I'm a girl caused endless disappointment. My dad and I ended up being really close in adulthood life ironically, but that feeling of being a disappointment has never really left me I don't think.
It stays with you. I always knew I was unplanned, I always knew mum really didn't want me, so I turned to my nan who lived with us, I adored her. It was only years later that mum admitted trying to get rid of me my drinking gin in a scalding hot bath. It hurt, but it confirmed what I already felt.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
She just is MC though, there’s no denying it.

I was bullied for being brown. But I’m still a white person, fancy that Jack!

Also for triangulation I have a fat face and am allergic to perfume

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
@colouredlines What is the name of the hair treatment? I have been getting Nanokeratin blow dries, wonder if it’s similar?

Oh and for triangulation purposes I have a very round fat face and CK One
I actually don't know the name in English! I started getting Brazilian blowdries about 10 years ago (back when it was a multi-day affair and you couldn't wash your hair or put it in a ponytail or behind your ears for 3 days), but the technology has been advancing a lot.

The one I get now is fairly quick and doesn't even make my eyes water from the fumes, which is quite something. It looks a little flat the first couple of days post-treatment, but not as bad as other treatments used to leave it, and it soon settles. I don't speak to my hairdresser in English though, so not sure what I'd ask for if I moved away...

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.