Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I met Kevin Bridges years ago and he was unbelievably attractive. There was something so magnetic about him. Honestly, I was hypnotised he was such a sweet talker as well as being absolutely hilarious.

*shakes self out of daydream*

So is Jack doing another book tonight? I've not seen any announcements yet. 🤔
She’s waiting for a reason to kick off about that stupid article I reckon. Nearly 150 fawning comments but no mean ones yet. (Obviously I hope nobody is mean to her).

Reactions: 7
I am SO glad you said this.

I fancy Kevin Bridges something rotten. Who cares that he’s in his 30s and married. Not me!!

(Not even ashamed, not one bit).

I took my mum to see him two Christmases ago and even she was like, he’s handsome.
Oh my God Motherwell, he had this energy. I don't know how to describe it. You know when you're a teenager and you have a new partner and it's all so intense?? He made me feel like that. I swear he put his hand on my leg and there were sparks or something. *swoons*

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Now that makes me really angry. Mr Falkor was a late surprise for his parents, he's 7 years younger than his next nearest sibling, so from the age of about 11, after next sibling had gone to university, his parents would frequently say things like, 'If it wasn't for him we'd be off travelling now.' He still lives with the after-effects of that today and he's in his 50s now.
I was an accident after an eleven year gap but my parents never stopped travelling because of me. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a child-friendly holiday. Just as well I liked history because holidays were spent sightseeing around galleries, museums, castles, cathedrals, etc. Though I can remember being taken to a funfair outside of Copenhagen as a treat which stands out as the only child-friendly thing I can ever remember.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
By the way, just to add: I moved to England as a teenager and was bullied at school for my frizzy hair and foreign accent. Despite this, I need SPF50 in summer. Stop frizzy erasure, Jack!

(I also now have a hyaluronic acid hair treatment every 6 months which leaves it so frizz-free I don't even have to blow-dry it! Highly recommended for my fellow frizzies)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Most of us in Southend don't sound like that. Unless I have my telephone voice on. The Estuary Twang that I know is rougher, more likely to cause tinnitus.

Reactions: 10
Fellow hausfraus, if you are scared of spiders DO NOT click through to one of the people she mentions in her mussel photo blurb. I won’t be sleeping tonight. Well, even less than usual!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Fellow hausfraus, if you are scared of spiders DO NOT click through to one of the people she mentions in her mussel photo blurb. I won’t be sleeping tonight. Well, even less than usual!
Well of course I had to go and do exactly that :rolleyes:
I’m wondering how much less you could possibly sleep!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Now that makes me really angry. Mr Falkor was a late surprise for his parents, he's 7 years younger than his next nearest sibling, so from the age of about 11, after next sibling had gone to university, his parents would frequently say things like, 'If it wasn't for him we'd be off travelling now.' He still lives with the after-effects of that today and he's in his 50s now.
I used to get that a lot. My mum and dad were planning on travelling after my sisters had left home. They are 15 and 16 years older than me. And then I came along. Add that in with the fact that my dad pinned his hopes on finally getting the son he wanted and then out popped another girl, I definitely felt like a disappointment at times when I was younger ☹

• Sad
Reactions: 32
Oh my God Motherwell, he had this energy. I don't know how to describe it. You know when you're a teenager and you have a new partner and it's all so intense?? He made me feel like that. I swear he put his hand on my leg and there were sparks or something. *swoons*
Not even jealous. Just happy to get confirmation that Kevin Bridges is indeed a fox.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Oh lovely @Flumps I am so sorry for unwittingly causing pain! If it's any consolation, I was called 'pignose' by the kids who bullied me at school. My deathless rejoinder was "Naff off, my mum says it's retroussé!". You can imagine how that went down X
My mother was the opposite to yours. When she read in the Daily Mirror that the desired rhinoplasty shape of rich women was 'ski slope' (the DM knew their audience; no retroussé there), she did actually hoot with laughter at my nose being the shape they wanted and how stupid they were, going on to repeat it to my brothers, her friends and anybody else who either smiled awkwardly and changed the subject or, bless 'em, said 'I'm not surprised they want a nose like Dragon. Hers is perfect'. Mind you, this is the woman who also phoned me up one morning after that godawful Ten Years Younger programme was on and informed me that I could have all my (thousands of) freckles burned off my face with acid to look normal. She was most taken aback by my replying 'What would I want to do that for?'.

I have had many hangups and insecurities in my life, but I'm very glad that I am not in the slightest bit bothered by the shape of my face, freckles, teeth, nose (I mean, people paid thousands to have noses like mine) or my 'funny' (congenital malformation) earlobe. I also associate anybody under 85 saying they were hooting with laughter as saying they were doing it maliciously.

• Heart
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Oh Penns, this is not your fault at all, and this was very funny, but you've reminded me of one of the worst insults I ever received. When I was a teenager someone once described me as 'that girl with the big round face'. I still carry that moon-face little barb with me, (though my face isn't particularly round anymore) along with the slightly more palatable but still oddly upsetting 'The thing about you is that you are pretty, but not at all sexy' that I got, a few years later, from someone I very much wanted to find me all the sexy.

Some more random data for your triangulation @Gentlemensrelish!
Oh, I've got one of those memories too Flumps! Reported back to me somewhere in my mid teens. My friends were trying to bring me to mind to one of my teachers at school. When she realised who they meant, she said 'Oh yes, I know who you mean. She's pretty, in a funny sort of way...'
To this day that is how I think of my looks - funny how things stay with you.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I think they do.
But what in God's name is she doing to her epaulettes that they need ironing?! Bet she travelled to and from work displaying them in the hope that people would assume she was a firefighter.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
B9C93FC1-5091-4687-A184-AD34D01E43DA.jpeg
She’s not a chef ffs! She even says that herself. She is a little poverty pet for these people. I’m offended on her behalf but she’s loving it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I am SO glad you said this.

I fancy Kevin Bridges something rotten. Who cares that he’s in his 30s and married. Not me!!

(Not even ashamed, not one bit).

I took my mum to see him two Christmases ago and even she was like, he’s handsome.
A friend of mine worked with him and said he was absolutely lovely, and his mum invited her out to dinner with the whole Bridges clan!!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Oh Penns, this is not your fault at all, and this was very funny, but you've reminded me of one of the worst insults I ever received. When I was a teenager someone once described me as 'that girl with the big round face'. I still carry that moon-face little barb with me, (though my face isn't particularly round anymore) along with the slightly more palatable but still oddly upsetting 'The thing about you is that you are pretty, but not at all sexy' that I got, a few years later, from someone I very much wanted to find me all the sexy.

Some more random data for your triangulation @Gentlemensrelish!
When I was 12 an older girl said I looked like "the fat nun from Sister Act", and when I was evidently horrified she was like "ohhhhh I just mean 'cos you're always smiling". Yeah, sure, thanks.

Anyway, 21 years on and it's one of the many insults adding bulk to the knapsack of slurs. I genuinely believe that as a conventionally attractive woman Jack has never really had the opportunity to grow a sufficiently thick skin.

(Thin skin through lack of exposure is a condition I would kill for, tbh)

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
It’s gone a bit quiet over on Jack’s Twitter hasn’t it. The DW thing has sort of fizzled out, and that “newspaper hit piece” is hardly mainstream press either (which must infuriate her).
I honestly think the food career is dead in the water at this point. I’d be astonished if anyone gives her any more TV cooking slots, and she’s burnt her bridges with so many people. She doesn’t even have the Hellmann’s thing any more. So I think she’s just going to be jumping on bandwagon after bandwagon trying to keep her name out there. She’s all over the place, and doesn’t seem to have a clue what she wants to be or do.

View attachment 176289She’s not a chef ffs! She even says that herself. She is a little poverty pet for these people. I’m offended on her behalf but she’s loving it.
She’s not a chef and she’s not from a “poor background” either. People keep perpetuating these myths.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25
Oh, I've got one of those memories too Flumps! Reported back to me somewhere in my mid teens. My friends were trying to bring me to mind to one of my teachers at school. When she realised who they meant, she said 'Oh yes, I know who you mean. She's pretty, in a funny sort of way...'
To this day that is how I think of my looks - funny how things stay with you.
I remember being in first year at university and hearing people I barely knew talking tit about me outside my bedroom window (that was a fun night!). There were two of us in my halls with the same name - let's say Diana - and this very sweet Japanese girl was trying to join in the conversation:

"Which Diana is that? The...less beautiful one?"

It stuck with me for years...although now I live in a place where my looks are exotic and desirable, so just like the frizz drama, it worked out well. But duck me, not a great description, especially from someone you know was trying to be nice...

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.