Jack Monroe #42

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Ha, just goes to show I clearly know eff all about accents! To me she sounds public school-ish.

My own accent is not very strong, but it is there and comes out now even stronger when I go home. It's... let's say... very distinctive 😆

Reactions: 11
Re: puttanesca funebra.

Funebre is Italian for funereal.

It's a shame that her much-documented cultural sensitivity doesn't extend to actually using real words from the languages of the countries that "inspired" her slop.

Reactions: 21
In that clip I hear her accent as Essex, private school middle class style Essex. Like most places in the UK there is quite a variety of Essex accents. I’ve only ever lived in Southend and my accent is definitely more like hers than someone on TOWIE for example. I remember when I started my first proper job at McDonald’s (free McFlurrys 🎉) the people I worked with thought I was mega posh and we lived 10 minutes apart!
(Happy to help with your triangulation there @Gentlemensrelish!)

• Haha
Reactions: 23
If you’ve not watched rab mcglinchey interpreting for the neds on chewing the fat you’ve not lived.

I really like Kevin Bridges and on his last tour he did a sketch about coming home from a night out and his new posh neighbours had a gazebo up and he thought someone had been murdered

He was like in Clydebank we call that a crime scene.

I first saw him in Newcastle and it took a while for the audience to get it.

Except me.

His best sketch without a doubt is life in Scotland

‘Imagine naming your daughter after the nightclub she was conceived in’
I met Kevin Bridges years ago and he was unbelievably attractive. There was something so magnetic about him. Honestly, I was hypnotised he was such a sweet talker as well as being absolutely hilarious.

*shakes self out of daydream*

So is Jack doing another book tonight? I've not seen any announcements yet. 🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Oh! You sweet thing. Sorry, but I feel all the sympathy while HOOTING at 'retroussé'
My mum has a retrousse nose. And the odd thing is. I only noticed it a few years ago.

I said who told you the name and she said your gran and I said my how did my gran know what it was called.

She said because your gran was a very clever woman

I don’t like my nose. It’s not big but it looks like it is in photos.

Reactions: 12
Whereas I can definitely hear it. It's a middle class grammar school Essex accent to me, similar to my mother's Black Country accent, popping out in vowels and the occasional word. It's not a public school RP accent which you hear around London and Edinburgh - in addition to the Scottish public/private/educated Scots accents. You can definitely hear the difference, for example, when she was on television with Rachel Johnson.

[I'm always asked where I'm from, not having any Scots accent at all thanks to being sent away to school in England, despite having all the vocabulary and understanding Doric fluently! My father could pop between the two but I can't do accents other than my own. I was once told at a class reunion that the only time I sounded Scots was when I said Scotland!]
Middle Class grammar school yes, Essex no. I lived in Southend until I was 28. I think a lot of people who do not have southern accents get them mixed up. For instance the Portsmouth accent sounds like a West country accent to me , but my scouse mate thinks they sound like cockneys!

Two insults I remember from school; the laughing cow & being likened to Michelle McManus in size 🙃 kids are cunts, are they.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Found the hit piece. Took a while. It didn't come up in a news search. Anyway, it's tit but bits of it made me laugh.

Oh, Uncle Vlad!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Middle Class grammar school yes, Essex no. I lived in Southend until I was 28. I think a lot of people who do not have southern accents get them mixed up. For instance the Portsmouth accent sounds like a West country accent to me , but my scouse mate thinks they sound like cockneys!
Jacks accent is fairly neutral i think

Reactions: 4
Two insults I remember from school; the laughing cow & being likened to Michelle McManus in size 🙃 kids are cunts, are they.
I met Michelle McManus before she got famous-ish. She was very nice. Quite shy. She briefly temped with my flatmate.
No real point to this other than some more triangulation info.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Now, I never get Portsmouth mixed up with West Country, it definitely veers towards the estuary like Jack. East Anglia is definitely different, as is Hampshire itself but all that area to the east and around London just merges into one big mass of estuary unless a very definite rural or Cockney accent. I suspect that Allegra and Louisa brushed off on her.

Reactions: 7
I feel you, my big nosed compadres. I too have a honking snout.

I also have big lips, of the kind folk now pay for (lucky me, eh) and this earned me the nickname Jabba the Hut at school.

So yes, kids can be foul.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
I can hear her Essex-ness. I sound similar and a lot of people I know that have also lived in Southend their entire lives sound similarly.
It’s funny how even people who live or have lived here have different opinions on whether she sounds Essex or not!

I met Kevin Bridges years ago and he was unbelievably attractive. There was something so magnetic about him. Honestly, I was hypnotised he was such a sweet talker as well as being absolutely hilarious.

*shakes self out of daydream*

So is Jack doing another book tonight? I've not seen any announcements yet. 🤔
I am SO glad you said this.

I fancy Kevin Bridges something rotten. Who cares that he’s in his 30s and married. Not me!!

(Not even ashamed, not one bit).

I took my mum to see him two Christmases ago and even she was like, he’s handsome.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
In case anyone forgets what a bleeping liar she is: https://threader.app/thread/1244753809773035527

'If it weren't for that boy, i'd probably still be in the fire service. Halfway to my 25 year service medal, paying into my pension, ironing my epaulettes.'
Now that makes me really angry. Mr Falkor was a late surprise for his parents, he's 7 years younger than his next nearest sibling, so from the age of about 11, after next sibling had gone to university, his parents would frequently say things like, 'If it wasn't for him we'd be off travelling now.' He still lives with the after-effects of that today and he's in his 50s now.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
Found the hit piece. Took a while. It didn't come up in a news search. Anyway, it's tit but bits of it made me laugh.

I applaud the use of their term ‘humour vacuum’

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.