Jack Monroe #41 No one else gaslights or fights for 'likes' like Jack Monroe. Oops.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find it sooooooooo odd that none of these people have reviewed the books they are printing or selling. I've actually written alittle sketch in my head of how this would play out but I am embarrassed to share it.
Yes, I'm sure booksellers, teachers and librarians had no idea of the books' contents until she started rage tweeting. Thank god for Saint Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
View attachment 175065
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, because what schools are doing at the moment is so simple, the Heads are obviously sitting around doing nothing, so they're free to start rummaging around book corners in every classroom and the library to remove books and then contact JM using their school emails to say that they've done it.
Tough one isn’t it?
Manage social distancing, teach vulnerable and kw students in one bubble, try to teach as well as you can in the remaining weeks with eligible years and work out what on earth is going to happen in September OR decide to start a “conversation”
with an online chef about the suitability of DW books? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 32
An illustration or not, ‘blackness’ is about so much more than perceived skin colour. She’s been told the character isn’t a black woman she needs to let that particular point go ffs
I do agree with this but equally a cartoon character who appears to be white (though highly stylised!) is going to be perceived as white unless implied otherwise. The character looks white, and as far as the text goes there’s nothing to suggest she isn’t white (afaik?). When DW’s publishers claim she’s white, there’s no ‘gotcha’ point

Also this makes her claims all the more sinister in my opinion. @instacharlie posted many photos of the character, and surely even skimming through you’d notice that she isn’t black? She completely pulled the racism claim out of her arse

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Maybe we've all got it wrong, when she says she's going or good night on twitter she just means good bye from the phone she's using. She will then walk to the hall, plug that phone in to charge and select one of the other 4 phones on charge and start tweeting again a mere 10 minutes later.
She just means goodbye right now. In this very moment. Just like she's only ever had one cat.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I do agree with this but equally a cartoon character who appears to be white (though highly stylised!) is going to be perceived as white unless implied otherwise. The character looks white, and as far as the text goes there’s nothing to suggest she isn’t white (afaik?). When DW’s publishers claim she’s white, there’s no ‘gotcha’ point

Also this makes her claims all the more sinister in my opinion. @instacharlie posted many photos of the character, and surely even skimming through you’d notice that she isn’t black? She completely pulled the racism claim out of her arse

she’s literally just looking at the shade of pencil used for the skin compared to that for another
326B37CB-89A0-4AA9-B765-9FCD500B7E7B.jpeg
teacher. It’s foul of her really to choose this as the hill on which to die (copying off cleverer hausfraus)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Jack was banging on about being in the perfect position to bring a tv show for cooking with disabilities. I would have thought that the 'perfect' person would be someone actually registered disabled.

Perhaps a wheelchair user, someone who had been screen tested that was genuinely knowledgeable and engaging.

Not some entitle tw#t that thinks she should get everything going as she has managed to con virtue signalling and kind people to buy books full of questionable recipes
I remember this guy used to be on tv quite a lot.

he lost his arm and went on to win 2 Michelin stars!

Reactions: 23
An illustration or not, ‘blackness’ is about so much more than perceived skin colour. She’s been told the character isn’t a black woman she needs to let that particular point go ffs
Trouble is, if she admits her mistake then she reveals her own racism. She really did assume that someone with an "unpronounceable name" (her words), frizzy hair and nicknamed Archbishop Desmond Tutu was a black woman, with no further descriptors we are aware of. It is an embarrassing blunder, but backing down as soon as HarperCollins clarified it, she could've saved face. Nope, she wants to further cement her racism. Well, that woman I've been told is white looks suspiciously dark to me, I think she is a black woman. Look at her skin tone next to this other character. (None of this is word for word, but we all saw the tweets)
As always, she's being offensive and insensitive. Jack, you don't get to label people, even characters in someone else's book. It's gross.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
She is so self important.

And what books will these over one hundred librarians schools etc take off their bookshelves to 'review '. And what ones will they allow to remain?

And off how they all DM her, rather than posting it on twitter where the message would be far more effective. It is almost as if she is making it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
Trouble is, if she admits her mistake then she reveals her own racism. She really did assume that someone with an "unpronounceable name" (her words), frizzy hair and nicknamed Archbishop Desmond Tutu was a black woman, with no further descriptors we are aware of. It is an embarrassing blunder, but backing down as soon as HarperCollins clarified it, she could've saved face. Nope, she wants to further cement her racism. Well, that woman I've been told is white looks suspiciously dark to me, I think she is a black woman. Look at her skin tone next to this other character. (None of this is word for word, but we all saw the tweets)
As always, she's being offensive and insensitive. Jack, you don't get to label people, even characters in someone else's book. It's gross.
the more I think about it, Harper Collins made a super move there didn’t they? It’s driving her mad too!

Reactions: 32
Can’t someone tweet her the pictures of the offending character and call her out on this bullshit once and for all? Or send it to the Daily Mail to support the stance Harper Collins has come out with? If she won’t backtrack (she won’t) then someone needs to call her out on her tit

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Mary Berry has hand problems due to childhood Polio.

And one of the Hairy Bikers (Dave Myers, I think) has very swollen finger joints and doesn't do many recipes that require hand strength, I think he has Gout? Plus, he was a carer to his parents, so probably has considerably more experience, knowledge and ability to do such a programme.

Oh, and don't forget an integral part of the disability/PIP assessment is the ability to prepare food for yourself. A lot of people would be very wary of a programme giving the government an excuse to say 'look at the disabled people cooking perfectly well on that programme with JM'.

I'd still do it. I just wouldn't present it as a 'look, I've fixed all your problems aren't you grateful to me, you pawr ickle Disabled?'.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
Mary Berry has hand problems due to childhood Polio.

And one of the Hairy Bikers (Dave Myers, I think) has very swollen finger joints and doesn't do many recipes that require hand strength, I think he has Gout? Plus, he was a carer to his parents, so probably has considerably more experience, knowledge and ability to do such a programme.
Nothing to do with JM but you mentioned him and I love this random fact.

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 53
I hope someone had spoken to her in a serious way and I mean really used flow charts, flipping stop motion pictures to explain that she is out of control.

I also standby my earlier view of why she on twitter( bad books)

Reactions: 8
the more I think about it, Harper Collins made a super move there didn’t they? It’s driving her mad too!
Really clever, and I agree she must be spitting feathers. They didn't even look in her direction, just responded to the Daily Mail request for comment and then went back to business. She started crowing about how she guesses they'll be responding to her tweets one at a time. Mate, they didn't respond to you at all. You are so insignificant.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.