Jack Monroe #409 Send product or refund or admit you're a blatant rip off

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was this when she sold everything including her light bulbs and her son’s dinosaur during The Poverty? Did she use “A Girl Called Jack” before her first book? I am a confused Frau.

(also “ladies” clothes arrrgh)
Yes, it was. She made just over 3 grand. I'm sure the dinosaur toy brought in the big bucks.

Her original blog was called A Girl Called Jack, and the book was named after it.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Jack has always been terrible with money. For those who haven't seen it before:

View attachment 1621766

Just imagine acquiring all that tit at the age of 24.

(Also, what kind of weirdo is buying designer crockery in their early 20s? This isn't even a middle class vs working class thing, it's just Jack being bizarre.)
When I was 24 I owned a quite frankly laughably impossible amount of student debt, a collection of pint and wine glasses nicked from the Wetherspoons and a soon-to-expire young person’s railcard

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
Did she really sell her lightbulbs or is that just Tattle lore?
She actually did. Can't remember where the receipts are but yes it is, bizarrely, true.
Well true in that she said it happened. So whether it actually happened is moot.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Also, what kind of weirdo is buying designer crockery in their early 20s? This isn't even a middle class vs working class thing, it's just Jack being bizarre.
This sort of thing is what pushes me towards #1978truther , except actually its more like #1968truther because that's my coincidentally narc sister's age, and her and her mates were obsessed with Denby Blue as a signifier of adulthood, whereas the people in their thirties I know are mostly on IKEA stuff...

• Haha
Reactions: 30
She actually did. Can't remember where the receipts are but yes it is, bizarrely, true.
Well true in that she said it happened. So whether it actually happened is moot.
Who the f**k would buy a used lightbulb? Were they Cotswold's ones?

• Haha
Reactions: 38
yep. It’s obvious that that’s not a person who is really genuinely concerned about matted hair. Jack‘s reaction is typical Jack - and highlights how Jack can’t actually deal with this stuff well - but that account is obviously in bad faith, and does more to support Jack’s claim of the level of tit she gets, than to support the idea that Jack is doing wrong
I honestly don't think it was in bad faith. I know people just like that- get really het up and can't let go of a perceived wrong. Far more autistic behaviour than anything Jack ever exhibits.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Jack has always been terrible with money. For those who haven't seen it before:

View attachment 1621766

Just imagine acquiring all that tit at the age of 24.

(Also, what kind of weirdo is buying designer crockery in their early 20s? This isn't even a middle class vs working class thing, it's just Jack being bizarre.)
She’s ridiculous. How is it 24 years worth of stuff? That implies all her Barbies and Enid Blyton books will be in the sale. And yes-she is bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Just seen that pic. Big Dave has all four of his kids in the photo which is lovely, very parenty thing to do. Looks to be around the time Jackie was with old Harold maybe? Going by the awful hat that is. Interesting to see that in Big Dave's MBE pics, only his bio kids are in them. I'm sure the other two were adopted by then. However maybe they were still very young and needed their ID protected at the time. Jack's brother looks nicer than Jack so maybe she is jealous of him for that too.
Jack's brother is fit. The older one, obvs. There I said it.

ETA Whoops apparently there have been tellings off for this before. Yannis can hit me with a hoarded copy of the Kickstarter book as punishment.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Alright, I know healthyonabootstrap is not news to a lot of the canal but as a Post-HH2 frau, I just went down a tiny rabbit hole.

Healthyonabootstrap was a project Jack "started" (if you can call it that) in May 2018. She set up a twitter account and WordPress site for it. Admittedly I'm unsure if the website was always a WordPress one. https://archive.ph/Efri6

The twitter account has 7 entire tweets on it.
View attachment 1621769View attachment 1621770

The WordPress site has the following:

Coming soon page
View attachment 1621758
Includes a tip jar rattle (like all the other pages).
View attachment 1621759

Post on recommended books

Lists several recommended books. Jack notes that some are her own books and she earns commission on those.
View attachment 1621761

What she doesn't mention is that every single link is an affiliate link she profits from. Sneaky.
View attachment 1621760

Also includes this book.

View attachment 1621764

Every Body & Every Mind
View attachment 1621762View attachment 1621763
She's "commissioning" writers.

Charred Cumin Green Beans with Raita
View attachment 1621765View attachment 1621768View attachment 1621767
Recipe taken from another of her cookbooks. "Serves 4". One portion of green beans is approx. 125g. One portion of yoghurt is 125ml. So, no, it doesn't serve 4.

The twitter feed links to a blog post on equipment but that's long gone.

I suspect there were tip jar rattles to fund this project.
This is something I would actually like to see - but of course it never came to fruition. For someone who has so many health issues (severe and confirmed) her recipes aren't very accessible.

I have food allergies, MCAS, IBS and diverticular disease, so have a fairly limited diet. Tree nuts could kill me, peanuts and stone fruits can cause facial oedema, I have to limit veg, wholegrains and absolutely shouldn't eat peelings

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.