Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder why she didn't comment on the podcast when they approached her. I don't get it.
Because just as she's gained loads of info about eye pea tracing from FBI and Law & Order repeats, she knows from old episodes of The Bill that all criminals have to just revert to "no comment" šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 31
God bleeping dammit, why am I doing a long ass 8am-6pm day, with half of that in a place where I cannot have a phone on me.

Chapeau you horrid lot, particularly the OGs who have diligently collected receipts that donā€™t fade.

Now, duck off, cos Iā€™ve got to sit on a bus for an hour as am an actual POV x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
It truly does need a long format podcast. Much as I adore the BARPOD team, I'm not sure that 40 minutes quite encapsulates the "Literally Unbelievable Tale".
I've been twitching in my seat at all the chaos they've missed out on.
I think this podcast will get them a lot of new subscribers. They may well revisit this topic with extra information and an update šŸ¤ž

Reactions: 44
Well. Looks like Iā€™m going to have to pop my podcast cherry and listen to this on the way into work today.

now, can a kindly Podcast Frau tell me how I do this? Imagine teaching your aged mother how to use tech and pitch it at that level.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
I have subscribed to BaR but cannot seem to work out how to actually listen to the full version ā˜¹ none of the instructions make any sense and it doesn't link with spotify - any help out there?

Reactions: 19
I would actually loooove if she came back and tried to set the flying monkeys on the Blocked and Reported hosts. Because they are probably the people on Twitter least likely to give a shiny tit about a pile on. Amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
By the way, any chance of a pointer to/images of the ā€˜pigskin hatā€™?

I have images of either one of those hats that Real Ale ā€˜a good hoppy head there, Nigelā€™ types wear or the cursed witches hat from What We Do In The Shadows.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Well. Looks like Iā€™m going to have to pop my podcast cherry and listen to this on the way into work today.

now, can a kindly Podcast Frau tell me how I do this? Imagine teaching your aged mother how to use tech and pitch it at that level.
Babe, same šŸ˜˜

Reactions: 14
Predicting she comes out the gate swinging and screaming about her lawyer and libel today. Surely she has to?

• Haha
Morning, ninnies! Great news on the podcast. Anyone for toast? Two slices or four?
Screenshot_20220929_074619.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
Bringin this over from the last thread because it closed before I could post so you clearly wanted me to STOP BREATHING

I'm actually incensed by this for some reason.

Because Jack's pov audience is exactly who they target for a Ā£300 pizza oven - amirite?

How to prove she is middle class along with her followers in one swift move. Cheers Ooni x
And she used it once then it was forgotten, which make me when angrier!!!

Reactions: 23
Babe, same šŸ˜˜
Ok so Iā€™ve subscribed. Think Iā€™ve done it šŸ™
In the email you get when signed up, there is a link to copy and paste into your podcast app. I use Castbox, I pressed the search button in the app, and pasted the link into there. It took me to the podcast and there were only 17 episodes from 2020 šŸ˜± which was a bit concerning but then I just went back to the podcast page on the app and itā€™s got my email address adjacent to the title so Iā€™m guessing Iā€™m fully subscribed now and itā€™s downloaded the whole episode. Hope that helps? Go well pals

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Excuse me, but WTF is with all the magnetic spice holders on the side of Le Fridge? Fine dining establishments with three Michelin stars don't have that many spices in their kitchens. That excessive display just screams "tell me you don't know anything about cooking or recipes without telling me that you don't know anything about cooking or recipes".
My aneurysm is that she has AAAAAAAAALLLL those herbs and spices but (a) barely uses any in her slop cooking and (b) still thinks theyā€™re interchangeable when she does.
Or are all those tins filled with Asda Smartprice Mixed Herbs? I need to know.

While I ponder Iā€™m off to listen to my first ever podcast. She may not have changed the lives of millions as per the needy squig but what with this, Patreon and Kickstarter sheā€™s dragged me kicking and screaming into the digital ageā€¦

• Haha
Reactions: 62
Predicting she comes out the gate swinging and screaming about her lawyer and libel today. Surely she has to?
Either that or sheā€™ll accuse them of being transphobic. Hasnā€™t Katie had flak before for stuff she did on detrans?

(Isnā€™t Katie a Lesbian as well and fairly left-leaning? Thatā€™ll make it a little awkward for Jack to deploy the ā€œfascist Tories are out to make me STOP BREATHINGā€ line).

Reactions: 36

I have images of either one of those hats that Real Ale ā€˜a good hoppy head there, Nigelā€™ types wear or the cursed witches hat from What We Do In The Shadows.
Found on Google but taken from tattle
1646320366652.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 37

Screenshot_20220929_075006.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
If she does, I'd be interested to see how she spins it. She'd have to be sufficiently vague that she didn't drive any traffic to the podcast, so she'd risk people thinking she's talking about the libel action she crowdfunded for, and then it's easy enough for the people involved in that to go "no, nothing to do with us."

I also think that if she came back with her whole post history scrubbed, people would start getting suspicious.

Reactions: 36
I would actually loooove if she came back and tried to set the flying monkeys on the Blocked and Reported hosts. Because they are probably the people on Twitter least likely to give a shiny tit about a pile on. Amazing.
It's all free publicity for them and agrees with their point. Winner winner slops for dinner

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Has there been an in-depth study of Alcoholism Recovery Jack?

I read about the local shop contradictory stories, but there's more than that.

BTW, my name is Benign Narcissist and I'm an alcoholic, and regularly attended meetings and events for a number of years.

I have never seen, or heard of, an AA group in the UK give out the "sobriety chips" marking the length of time sober (though I have seen it in other 'anonymous groups' - Cocaine Anonymous, for example).

She might have a home group that does do it, but why would she accept multiple chips to mark the same length of sober time?

Any South of England friends of Bill W able to confirm if sobriety chips are given out?

Standard advice to new arrivals at AA is attend 90 meetings in 90 days, and don't drink in between. Anonymity is discussed, and I'm pretty sure someone with a high profile is advised that using said profile to announce early recovery risks damaging AA reputation, and putting others off trying it, in the event of a relapse.

If Jack does have a sponsor (AA veteran to do the 12 Step programme with), then they will be aghast at her social media antics.

Jack announced to the world her alcoholism with a Guardian article a week into 'sobriety' - everyone is different, but I don't know any AA members who made membership public within the first few months rather than days, except one guy who announced it on his Facebook page when he acted like a drunken fool at a work event and tried to worm out of getting sacked.

Jack may well have gone to AA. She may believe she is addicted to alcohol. She might even be. I can't know. But what I do know is that her exposing the organisation to association with her, particularly so early on, would likely cause immense discomfort to those who do "service" (volunteer to host and run the meetings). This is read out at the start of every meeting:

A.A. PREAMBLE
A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety.

Nobody would ever be asked to leave an AA meeting unless something really awful like violence resulted. But AA meetings will have people desperately in need of help arriving, and, if Jack does attend, find there is a social media personality with serious boundary issues there.

If Jack is in AA, she acted out of accordance with the spirit of anonymity the organisation has carefully cultivated over decades.

Many famous people have spoken of their membership - but usually after many years sobriety, and often significant service. Jack showed up and wrote a Guardian article about it.

It's all very weird and suspicious.
South West AA-er here.

All of what you have said is exactly why many in recovery are uncomfortable at best with her weaponising of AA.

Her behaviour on Twitter is often the polar opposite of how one who is actually working the program should behave and, in my opinion, she is hugely damaging for AA. But alas, if one has a desire to stop drinking, they are able to call themselves a member. Her behaviour also highlights one of the reasons why anonymity is so important - because if you behave badly or relapse it makes it look like AA doesn't work.

Monthly chips are popular in North America but not in the UK, not many meetings give out monthly chips and none that I have ever been to although you are able to buy your own. I am almost two years sober but also previously had a longer stint of sobriety many years ago. Most groups will give yearly chips out to their members.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.