Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it was 4. It was the random episode I chose to watch having not seen any. I do t think I’ve recovered 🤮
I always jump at the chance to wheel out my screenshot of the spam grating, to shock and dismay anew.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 59
Another reminder to please catch up before posting links 🙏

If I have to see one more Sunday Woman link I'm going to yeet myself into the sea. Thanks all!
Just on the topic of polite requests can I add

If you don't have time to catch-up please don't post a request for someone to do a summary (it tends to lead to half a dozen replies) - hit most liked at the top and you'll get the jist of what's happed in 30 seconds 🙏

*Hi-de-hi ding out*

• Heart
Reactions: 90
I find it genuinely fascinating that we’ve all been here for various lengths of time but we’ve ended up for the same reason. We rightly moaned that nobody bar us and a few others were wise to what was happening, she was given chance after chance etc….but now there’s a culmination of different publications speaking honestly about who Jack Monroe is, reaching different corners of the internet but it seems that’s not enough?

What would be people like to see published? Why do you think that would be better thank this slow but steady accumulation of detractors?

• Heart
Reactions: 60
A polite request - is it possible please to take the drug discussion to a different chat thread so that we stay on topic and it's quicker for people (me) to catch up because fraus I'M BUSY 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 47
One thing that I don't understand which is a huge giveaway as to income is the whole filler/Botox thing. I'm a man who has no understanding of these things but I know they aren't cheap and need doing regularly so how can Jack afford those yet not shower gel?
the important thing is to look not at what she implies, but what she actually says. She hasn’t ever said she can’t afford shower gel - just heavily implied it by saying that she hasn’t bought any. And then scrutiny of what she has spent cash on is batted away under the umbrella of “Be Kind”, and the idea that other peoples choices are nobody’s business

Reactions: 33
A polite request - is it possible please to take the drug discussion to a different chat thread so that we stay on topic and it's quicker for people (me) to catch up because fraus I'M BUSY 😘
Yep have seen a few reports about this - let’s move on now from the drugs compare the market chat now please.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Burgers were, to mend Jack's broken, ouchy heart after Burger Boy ghosted her. That'll show him!
Just had a thought on burger boy - it seems a bit icky that he was visiting her for (maybe multiple) supposedly friendly welfare check and was also sleeping with her. A real power imbalance there and the sad thing is she thought they were falling in soft love
She seems to go for successful women (Allegra, LJC) but disappointing men (burger boy, the homophobic OH)
Eta: I didn't mean to go all 'poor jack' but I finally realised what I found so icky about the burger boy tweets... apart from the obvious

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Just add to the comments about Content's fur...

I agree it's not too bad on the matting side but not great (at the moment). I don't like how it's really long around her eyes either.

Also, she should be getting very regular visits to the groomers as a pup to get her used to it while young. If they aren't used to it, the groomers can be a really distressing experience for dogs. Same goes for being brushed daily at home. The more they're introduced to things as a pup, the easier it is to maintain when they're older.

ETA appalling grammer

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 37
I find it genuinely fascinating that we’ve all been here for various lengths of time but we’ve ended up for the same reason. We rightly moaned that nobody bar us and a few others were wise to what was happening, she was given chance after chance etc….but now there’s a culmination of different publications speaking honestly about who Jack Monroe is, reaching different corners of the internet but it seems that’s not enough?

What would be people like to see published? Why do you think that would be better thank this slow but steady accumulation of detractors?
the actual point where it’d be over is if the story broke in the way the Johann Hari one did. But the difference is that Hari had employers and had specific people he’d fucked over, so there was no hiding place and when it came out, it was over straight away. Monroe probably won’t have that one moment, just a decline as people stop hiring her.

but there will be a moment when the truth comes out - the patreon thing isn’t sustainable at all, and the questions aren’t going away.

Reactions: 30
Just had a thought on burger boy - it seems a bit icky that he was visiting her for (maybe multiple) supposedly friendly welfare check and was also sleeping with her. A real power imbalance there and the sad thing is she thought they were falling in soft love
She seems to go for successful women (Allegra, LJC) but disappointing men (burger boy, the homophobic OH)
Eta: I didn't mean to go all 'poor jack' but I finally realised what I found so icky about the burger boy tweets... apart from the obvious
OH had a Good Job in the City! And came from a moneyed/successful family

Reactions: 27
One thing that I don't understand which is a huge giveaway as to income is the whole filler/Botox thing. I'm a man who has no understanding of these things but I know they aren't cheap and need doing regularly so how can Jack afford those yet not shower gel?
Its super easy. She’s lying.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
look, did any of youse who listened remember what she actually said she would write up for her blog, cos I'm gonna need that for The List?

or am I gonna have to get on bbc sounds and listen through men holding hands (this is a good thing, it should happen more often) and fungal feet (this is a bad thing, it should happen less often) to get to it?

as an aside, I've never taken (illegal) drugs, other than weed, and I'm kinda feeling left out here 😟

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61

I don't think there is going to be one knockout* article and anyone looking for that will be sorely disappointed. As you say, it is going to be different people with their own perspectives coming at it from different angles over time. Someone could do a great article just on her claimed disabilities and health issues alone and how problematic that is, equally there's probably a good story there just looking at the work she claims to do vs what she actually does, there's the overall grift and there's my dream article looking at how the media just accept "experts" at face value. This has been going on a long time and it'll take different perspectives to bring the whole thing out. I could make criticisms of pretty much everything that's been published of late but overall whatever quibbles I have with the individual articles, I'm just glad to see JM finally getting some well deserved attention.

*This is not a threat to knock Jack out, it is a figure of speech.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I'd like to see some calls for stricter regulation of online fundraising and guidelines that people know about so they can report, or at least not throw their money away. Basically like how the ASA has tackled influencer advertising, but for donations.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
I always jump at the chance to wheel out my screenshot of the spam grating, to shock and dismay anew.
I remember one time you either posted a pic of (or even just described) Jack‘s cooking, and all the reactions were 🤢
You ended up saying, “sorry for making everyone sick!” 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Just add to the comments about Content's fur...

I agree it's not too bad on the matting side but not great (at the moment) but I don't like how it's really long around her eyes either.

Also, she should be going very regular to the groomers as a pup to get her used to it. If they aren't used to it, the groomers can be a really distressing experience for dogs. Same goes for being brushed daily at home. The more they're introduced to things as a pup, the easier it is to maintain when they're older.
I agree. I also think as Content is a crossbreed Jack needs to find an experienced groomer who can understand her coat as it’s not either a classic poodle or retriever coat. It doesn’t even look like the typical doodle poo “loose perm” type coat, to be honest it looks like a bit of a nightmare mix of corse, Matt prone and shaggy.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I don't think there is going to be one knockout* article and anyone looking for that will be sorely disappointed. As you say, it is going to be different people with their own perspectives coming at it from different angles over time. Someone could do a great article just on her claimed disabilities and health issues alone and how problematic that is, equally there's probably a good story there just looking at the work she claims to do vs what she actually does, there's the overall grift and there's my dream article looking at how the media just accept "experts" at face value. This has been going on a long time and it'll take different perspectives to bring the whole thing out. I could make criticisms of pretty much everything that's been published of late but overall whatever quibbles I have with the individual articles, I'm just glad to see JM finally getting some well deserved attention.

*This is not a threat to knock Jack out, it is a figure of speech.
There will always be people who support her. Their choice, whatevs. But for me, the tipping point will be when she is mentioned, people will know the grift as her headline, eg ‘who? Oh yeah the woman who pretended she was poor for patreon money’. A bit like the fire festival guy, that Caroline Instagram scammer and the wework couple. At the moment people tend to assume she’s kind of alright because of Hopkins or having a go at the Tories or supermarkets, and no further scrutiny is required and then we are left shouting the truth into the canal.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.