Jack Monroe #407 I lost hours yesterday learning about a Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So this is the first mention Nigella made of Jack (that I could find) in Nigella's blog in March 2014

And I am šŸ¦‰šŸ¾ at this sentence:
"Her recipes are founded on the ideal of eating well on a budget, but there is nothing drab about her food: it's as vibrant as her voice; and A Girl Called Jack is full of food with bold flavour, recipes that beg to become part of your daily repertoire."

Indeed, Nigella, her food is as vibrant as her voice. What a compliment.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Can someone screenshot the article? None of the links work for me.
Here you go x

Any UK person that has lived through Lockdown and used Twitter knows who Jack Monroe is. Maybe sheā€™s most famously known for suing Katie Hopkins for half a million pounds, forcing Katie to sell her Devon home and to move into a rental north of Barnstaple. Maybe you know of her cheap meals where she proudly shouts about feeding her family with Smart Price pasta (as if this is a triumph, when in reality most of us do it), or maybe you know her for her tireless work in helping people, that is posting inaccurate links, recipes that are free (free recipes, sheā€™s so kind), or donating to charities that have never heard from her.

Letā€™s make this clear. This is an opinion piece. Itā€™s not based on absolute fact but this article is. @AwfullyMolly has spent countless hours (not 100 per week like Jack) piecing together every tweet, every piece of misinformation and every lie ever told by Jack Monroe and we love them for it. Why did she do it? Well, thatā€™s the best bit. Jack Monroe could see a complete end, could be completely cancelled, all because @AwfullyMolly became annoyed when Jack promoted a book about Georgia that was NOT about Georgia. This recommendation made AM suspicious and got her digging deep into Jack Monroeā€™s twitter account to see what else was duplicitous. The results are incredible. Iā€™m invested and you will be too as soon as you read the article.

Why Are People So Angry At Jack Monroe?
Jack Monroe has now cancelled Twitter, she claims itā€™s over the posting of her motherā€™s Aunt Bessieā€™s insipid roast potatoes and the insults she received as a result, however this may just be one more of her lies, as sheā€™s facing a lot of questions she canā€™t answer, a lot of people asking for refunds and a lot of suspicion as people realise that sheā€™s the not so poor girl who cried wolf.

People are angry as sheā€™s exploited those in real poverty. Her followers are on the breadline, due to the content she posts such as Feed a Family for Ā£20 a week and rants about the injustice of heating tariffs. She claims to help all those who need to use food banks while feigning a bond with them by retelling the story of how she was so poor she sold her sonā€™s toy dinosaur.

This would all be fine-ish, as by indulging in Twitter rants and posting free recipes (theyā€™re FREE) sheā€™s not really harming anyone, some could even say sheā€™s helping, however, in her eyes thereā€™s one person thatā€™s worse off than any of her followers, one who deserves money and help more than anyone else, one that doesnā€™t care if you raid your childā€™s piggy bank to shout her a strong black espresso, her. This is why sheā€™s so fond of splashing the donate button (to her personal PayPal) on every single FREE recipe page.

Jack Loves Labels
Jack loves a label, so much so she attaches many to herself. From memory only, sheā€™s a heavily tattooed, working class, autistic, disabled, poor single mum in recovery, not quite sure if sheā€™s pulled out the gender neutral or metoo tag yet. Itā€™s coming. The labels grow every time she feels sheā€™s losing public sympathy with the autistic one being a more recent addition.

Now, this is why Iā€™m so angry and feel free to skip to the next drop cap. I hate labels. I hate defining people by class, status or wealth yet I thought about this and I can be defined as a heavily tattooed, bipolar (officially diagnosed), single mum who is the carer of my 22 year old autistic son. Yet itā€™s taken me ten minutes to write that sentence as it makes me nauseous to reveal those details as itā€™s not your problem.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I think itā€™s incredible that Jack has brought a spotlight to poverty and to food banks and the work they do, I just donā€™t believe sheā€™s done this selflessly and I donā€™t believe sheā€™s ever known real poverty.

I remember times as a child when my dad sold our sofa, we spent Christmas sat on Banana crates (as he got a temporary job at the factory) and ate crackers, with no cheese. It was one of the best Christmasā€™s of my life. (Probably because my parents were skint, so sober! Sorry, mum!) We had chicken one day, a rare treat. Yet Jenny and Jemima were missing from the garden. When I asked where they were my mum told me theyā€™d gone to heaven. I replied, ā€œif theyā€™ve gone to heaven, why did they leave their heads in the bin.ā€ The dog ate the rest of the chicken. It was back to bread and dripping (which I still love today).

I remember my early twenties, when I fled an abusive marriage, changed my name and moved to obscurity with my two children under 5. Iā€™d clean caravans on a weekend with both beside me, Iā€™d write and study for my degree as they slept. Weā€™d clean the car to find pennies for a bottle of milk. We tried to grow fruit and veg then realised itā€™s so much more expensive than buying from the shops. Weā€™d find hedgerows a treat with fat juicy blackberries and blackcurrants and weā€™d forage for mushrooms. Weā€™d make two meals last a week and when I visited Citizenā€™s Advice, they told me, you need a council house. You canā€™t sustain your living, your outgoings are way more than your incomings but I wouldnā€™t budge, I couldnā€™t budge, the council would not provide, and I saw an end in sight.

If I just got my degree, if I just got my articles published, if I just got paid for one piece of writing, weā€™d be ok.

I took on a contract for writing a health and safety manual about garage doors. It took forever and the children watched Disney over and over as I snuggled up with the laptop. Then I got paid. A lump sum of Ā£2000. It was the most money Iā€™d ever had at once. I should have paid the rent in advance, I should have paid the council tax, instead I took the children to Asda and told them to pick a TV, ours was heavy and chunky and had a big black bar down the middle.

We chose a flat screen, it was luxury, we carried it to the little Yaris, then realised, it would not fit in the boot. We had to put it on the back seat, where would the children sit? They sat on each other the whole drive home and I panicked every time I saw a police car.

We had no network, we still donā€™t.

I then sold an article for 80pence and we danced until we hurt. I was finally being paid for writing about what I loved. Life improved financially after that but those days are some of my best.

Recently weā€™ve struggled again, which is why I despise what Jack is doing. Iā€™m a single mum again, (Iā€™m hard to live with, ok?) with three now. Iā€™ve had cancer scare after cancer scare, biopsy after biopsy, infection after infection, anaemia, fibroids, brain tumour (non malignant) you name it and Iā€™ve been unable to work. My mind has been in the clouds, this is actually my first foray back after a very long time.

If I donā€™t work, we donā€™t have money. Itā€™s that simple. So weā€™ve bought the bright yellow items from Asda, weā€™ve tightened our belts, dug up last yearā€™s potatoes and sold the Lego.

Weā€™ve also donated to Jack Monroe. Just like many others too. Why?

Well, she tells such a tale of the 100 hour weeks sheā€™s working to help us all, working with the government no less to make a change, that when she pleaded poverty and said she couldnā€™t afford the rent, I felt she needed our help. Yet when you scroll up from those begging tweets you see she boasts about Ā£30,000 in savings and being ready to buy a half a million pound house. (Thanks again AwfullyMolly for pointing that out).

She also talks of a partner, but is still a single mum and then goes on to describe her childhood summers in the back of mummyā€™s Landrover, have you seen how much a Defender costs? This is not the origin of someone who is working class.

Minor Celebrities Use Their Offspring for Clout
Now this is something thatā€™s been grinding my gears of late, minor celebrities, authors and the Twitter famous using their offspring for clout. From those who parade their gender neutral kids, to Jack Monroe telling us tales of her son being upset at not having bread and jam. STOP.

Itā€™s not fair on the child, they didnā€™t ask for the spotlight, and itā€™s not fair on the audience either, as only a few cold hearts could ignore the plea of the very young. Itā€™s exploitation and quite frankly, disgusting especially when it discusses the childā€™s mental health. They are not toys, they have their own voice and, when theyā€™re old enough, that story is theirs to tell. Not yours.

Disclaimer, or something: I'm not a TERF. However, I do not agree with forcing an alternative gender onto a child before they've hit puberty. I wanted to be a boy until I turned 12. I would HATE my parents now if they'd given me puberty blockers and made me see it through. Let them live as the opposite sex but leave their small developing bodies alone.

Why Has Jack Monroe Lied?
When you pull together every tweet, every claim and every beg itā€™s quite easy to see whatā€™s happened and the type of person Jack Monroe is. I donā€™t think she set out to scam, far from it, I do think she genuinely wanted to help people but sheā€™s lying again if she says she didnā€™t want to profit from that help.

Iā€™m not sure how many of Jackā€™s tweets are drunken tweets, many if us spout a lot of bull when under the influence (thereā€™s help here if you are struggling with any addiction), and this, combined with a Twitter profile could account for a lot of the nonsense however I think sheā€™s got her diagnosis wrong.

I donā€™t think sheā€™s autistic. I think she has ADHD. Sheā€™s bitten off more than she can chew. Sheā€™s so desperate for a regular hefty income that sheā€™s started multiple projects, put her fingers in many pies, and not really seen any (bar her book) to completion as she struggles with knowing which one will produce the highest profit margin.

This hyperactivity is laced with constant inconsistencies, with her 100 hour week leaving her with no time at all to tell her son sheā€™s sold his toy dinosaur. (Which is probably why she used fewer words and told him sheā€™d had a clear out instead).

Sheā€™s backed herself into a corner, and now the only way out is to hide or tell the truth.

How Can Jack Monroe Recover From This?
Sheā€™s lost the trust of many people but there are a lot that will still back her, and she could begin to rebuild that trust by focusing on one project at a time and telling the absolute truth. She got overwhelmed, she became scatty, she got lazy with customer service, she didnā€™t want to disappoint, so kept going, and lying.

However I fear, if she does try to recover it will be through other means. I hope Iā€™m wrong, yet she seems to be the type of person who lives off sympathy, she loves to be pitied (I despise it), and wants people to feel sorry for her while smashing that donate button. The devil on my shoulder is telling me sheā€™ll recover by using a new excuse, one we havenā€™t heard before, a new label to add to the list, and that would be a real shame, but the very woke will fall for it!

ETA info about author
Martina Mercer
https://www.martinamercer.com
Martina is the Editorial Director of Sunday Woman Magazine and often contributes articles within her expertise of psychology, politics, business, entertainment and parenting. Alongside this Martina is a public relations and marketing consultant for a few select start ups and high street brands. Martina holds accolades such as The Working Mum of the Year, Most Inspirational Woman in Business and Business with the Widest Reach. Find her on social media where she shares her bizarre life.
MODS couldn't remove the links, sorry if not allowed x

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Dog loving fraus, can I ask a question about content please?

I don't have pets as I'm very allergic (I would love a cat) so am unsure about this.

That dog is lovely, but it worries me that it's coat looks so matted, my friends that have dogs and cats seen to groom them regularly, I thought that was what you did, but to my untrained eye it looks like she doesn't bother.

Am I right to worry?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
I agree with you @Potatoes Oā€™Houlihan

unfortunately we will never find out because the HMRC or Jack are under no obligation to reveal what happened between when she last submitted accounts for 2019 and when the company was dissolved.

I am however absolutely convinced the reason she had it dissolved is that she realised that company accounts are public. Iā€™m a big fan of looking up company accounts. Interestingly, Nigella is director of 6 companies, 3 dormant ones and 3 that have been dissolved.

edited to add screenshot
5F513121-2F15-4230-B98A-94BF87584F34.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
This is all jolly invigorating isn't it? I did however do a quick Patreon numbers check & duck me they have gone up.
Last time I looked ( week or two ago?) it was 767 today it's 775. So there's that.
They'll only ever go up during the month - new subscribers are added straight away, but all the leavers are taken off in one go over 24-48 hours at month end. So in the next few days we'll find out if there's an overall drop for the month or not. I'm hoping it'll look something like the blue line on the graph that came out today showing voting intention at the next election!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Oh, on the coke vs speed thing. Speed also acts as a decongestant. Even if you snort it. Which most donā€™t everyone sells base now and swallows it in a ā€œbombā€ (rizzla paper). Iā€™ve only seen one person with it in a powder form in 15 years. So sheā€™s be a lot less bunged up if it was more speed than coke.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
It's good, but the way it's written makes it sound like SB is still a small boy (the toy comment) - I wish she'd clarified the 10 year thing and how old he is now. (And personally, I get annoyed with incorrect grammar from people in her position, ie editorial director - she should know that a dot comes within the brackets if the entire sentence is contained within. It's a tiny thing but it irritates me - I promise I'm not 100% grammar police though!:LOL:)

That aside, I'm pleased it's out there for more people to see and that the opening paragraph really set the tone.šŸ˜Surely, now, the big media outlets have to say something!
Wonder if Jack Monroe grifter will say it's libel and threaten to sue? Wouldn't surprise me, but then again, maybe she's not that stupid.

Loved this comment though! "She claims itā€™s over the posting of her motherā€™s Aunt Bessieā€™s insipid roast potatoes and the insults she received as a result" :LOL::LOL::LOL: And let's congratulate TOM for making it into the article - I wonder if he's aware? :LOL::LOL::LOL:
We have so much to thank Tom for imošŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I know. It's horrible, I could imagine that if Jack is hurting then she'll make anyone close to her suffer as well. I've known people like that.
All the money she's scammed over the years, much more than I think we realise and she can't take her son on holiday. fair enough it might be for safeguarding concerns but he goes to a caravan for a few days and she goes abroad and all over the country.Took his David Walliams book away, gleefully accepted the Lego flowers. Where are the things just for him ? He couldn't even arrange his room. The figures in there she claimed belonged to someone else.
Does she know how badly this reflects on her ? No. Or she doesn't care. It's all Content.
Don't forget the rock tumbler, and eating part of his biscuit (that really upset me)

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Iā€™m surprised non of the inside gossip from the patreon has made it into the public domain. Maybe itā€™s all too šŸ”ŗā€¦
As far as I can see thereā€™s hardly anything on there.Some intermittent posts, a few a year, patting her on the back, then a handful of recent disgruntled ones.

Reactions: 16
Re: Nigella, my theory is that maybe sheā€™d given jack some/theyā€™d had some times doing it together and then because Jack became addicted Nigella maybe felt responsible/guilty and tries to overcompensate? Just a hunch though.

excuse grammar, am tired, send sleepos
Definitely not.
Oh, on the coke vs speed thing. Speed also acts as a decongestant. Even if you snort it. Which most donā€™t everyone sells base now and swallows it in a ā€œbombā€ (rizzla paper). Iā€™ve only seen one person with it in a powder form in 15 years. So sheā€™s be a lot less bunged up if it was more speed than coke.
Christ I used to inject base.

snorted speed might decongest but there's rebound congestion when you use it repeatedly

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
An ex bought 4 pounds of the speed (or possibly robbed it off someone) in 1990 something) and we spent what felt like weeks chopping the godawful stuff up on a huge mirror in his squat. I had a massive permanent headache just from living with the dust and smell and couldn't stop twitching. I do a whole-body cringe at the thought of it now. Something about the smell of earwax also sets off a trace memory, for some reason.
Anyway, kids, don't do drugs mmmkay?
I canā€™t smell it or anything similar without immediately vomitting.

My favourite drug story of randomness and a good example of the illogical paranoia they cause, specifically coke this time, though is when my partner said Iā€™d been poisoning his dog by putting bleach in his water. Despite huge amounts of evidence for alternative explanations (like the fact the dog has diabetes and kidney failure, which makes his piss smell overpoweringly of ammonia, and the water smelled more ammonia than bleach, which he denied are similar smells, who he knows frequently pisses in his water bowl. Or the fact that Iā€™d bleached the whole floor and left it down and gone to bed not knowing his dog, who was due at the groomers and had a massive beard, likes to roll in bleach. Specifically likes to rub his own face in bleach. And wouldā€™ve then soaked his beard in the water as he drinks for ages due to the kidney failure. Or the fact that if I wanted to bump off the dog, weā€™ve got plenty of ibuprofen, which causes kidney failure so wouldnā€™t even be suspicious as he is already dying of that.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.