Jack Monroe #403 It’s hard to believe anything Jack Monroe says anymore

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The lack of texture and colour (never mind flavour and seasoning) in her concoctions makes me wonder if she has some food related disorder.

ETA I would love to see what she eats when she eats out.

I think so.

You just have to look at her portion sizes. I'm not a psychologist but she's said in the past that she had an eating disorder (OK this is Jack but let's take her at face value). Her portion sizes are tiny and it's fairly obvious that she doesn't like or understand food. A friend of mine was anorexic when we were growing up more than 30 years ago, and she still has to catch herself occasionally for restrictive and avoidant behaviour around food. She knows her mental health is starting to dip when she starts doing things like serving up tiny portions on the smallest plates in the house, and throwing together flavourless combinations of weirdness. The difference is that she is aware that this is an unhealthy behaviour and she knows that when she starts doing it, it's time to get help.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
@MoistenedGussets - regarding the block by BigGreenBooks, I imagine you are on some sort of blocklist somewhere. I got blocked by Janina Ramirez which I was gutted about as I think she is fab and I think it’s because I was briefly, some time ago, following @dhoty account. You mentioned following Sharon Davies recently. So your account might be on some sort of block list, I am afraid.

Reactions: 24
93FB48DD-FC1E-4C64-BF42-7987A348B400.jpeg

Look at headline on Guardian today. Meanwhile Jack is campaigning away by finding random people’s bad takes on Twitter about how to deal with poverty and replying with vitriol.

A literal hero to suit the times.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Honestly, how much food does she leave to go rotten in the crappy bungalow? A person with limited resources either doesn't buy things they may not use or actually uses them if they do.

She's such a wasteful bint. It really makes me mad.
And another opportunity to pivot and be relevant completely wasted. If you live on your own, keep unusual hours, have to travel frequently for work, especially at short notice, food waste is an issue. If you're a single parent with flexible or inconsistent arrangements for having your child at home, same thing.

If you have ADHD and the back of your fridge is an out of sight, out of mind scenario, look at sharing tools for managing that.

Jack wasting any opportunity to have an honest and useful conversation linked to the reality of her life is my latest aneurysm.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Just going back to Nigella and her continued support of her tender one...someone I know has been Nigella adjacent 🔺a number of times now and they can confirm that she IS indeed Big Suze

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 36
Isn't the chicken porridge a riff on the Chinese comfort food chicken congee (chicken rice porridge)?

From the 'it's jollof rice all over again' lady, we get a bastardised version of a Chinese classic. Because weirding things up is better than appropriation, apparently.

I bet she just looked online for 'comfort foods around the world' and made het own weird versions.
I was looking for this comment. Tbh I don't really like actual congee so can't imagine what the Jack bastardisation is like.

I would take either over cold sliced porridge that's been left in a drawer for a week, though 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 15
@Moxie_Mama , quickly, before another thread comes to its end...welcome and thanks for sharing. Like the other frauen I can relate and can assure you nobody would laugh about you. We do sometimes have a bit of a tendency to say that the squigs are a bit stupid, well some of them are awful but we are not mocking anyone getting ripped off.
As someone pointed out, we are here for this exact reason that we have ifentified her as a manipulative scammer and while we are of course all frustrated ninny sad hausfrauen we want her to stop and by manipulation rip off lovely people like you. Every time I read a story like yours it really gets me and like @Shawads said it is exactly that quality of being able to empathise that makes us vulnerable. Just like poor people often have a tendency to give away their last penny because they can relate.

I was only one very small step away from donating money to her and only didn't because I was at the time poor and I simply could not have bought any food for myself if I had donated. But the fact that she nearly got me with all her sob stories made me feel so absolutely stupid and I beat myself up about it in a really bad way because falling for con artists was surely something that would affect naive pensioners, right?
It took me a long time to get rid of the shame I felt and then I told myself to stop. I learned a lesson and I have become much more vigilant. As you know ( but I am writing it for lurkers) we are not here because we want to stalk, laugh about someone's physical features, sexual orientation etc. but because we want to create an awareness of a much larger phenomenon and of course we want her to stop her manipulative activities.
She even managed to spoil Nigella for me, for god's sake, and I once had a crush,haha.

I hope you will continue to enjoy the company of the sad hausfrauen- I can only say that no comedy programme ever made me laugh so hysterically like the canal did.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
how strange.
I was blocked on Instagram by Edward Enninful, the editor of British Vogue!! A magazine I’ve never read.
There was a post - The Guardian, maybe? A few years ago about him being racially profiled on his way into the offices and as a result the security guard was fired. I said instead of firing the guy and potentially causing his family to lose their home and/or main source of income perhaps Edward could have tried to educate him by paying for some kind of unconscious bias training or something. That was it. Didn’t tag him or anything. Blocked!
So man gets racially profiled going to his own office and then has to pay out of his own pocket to educate the racist and teach him that racial profiling is bad, which is preferable in case the racist suffers some negative consequences a a result of being racist? Not a great idea, to be be fair

• Heart
Reactions: 42
If jack was genuinely left wing she'd base her 'activism' around getting more pounds in pockets not stretching pounds to feed families these depressing set menus. Its demeaning and deeply dispiriting to be only able to offer your kids this and that much and no more, to be measuring portions, to be saying no to little extras, to never get that bag of chips or ice cream. But she wouldn't know about that and her 'activism' absolutely proves that.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
So wait….. anyone on twitter suggesting buying oats or rice in bulk = bad evil fascist tories
Suggesting the poors eat banana skin and shave off the rot of vegetables = good please donate for more amazing ideas
🤷‍♀️
Honestly, when Tories start making better suggestions for poor people than Princess Pov you realise that something has gone badly wrong somewhere.

• Wow
Reactions: 40
Does she always look so bleedin pleased with herself on these fan photos? Cringe

• Haha
Reactions: 23
If jack was genuinely left wing she'd base her 'activism' around getting more pounds in pockets not stretching pounds to feed families these depressing set menus. Its demeaning and deeply dispiriting to be only able to offer your kids this and that much and no more, to be measuring portions, to be saying no to little extras, to never get that bag of chips or ice cream. But she wouldn't know about that and her 'activism' absolutely proves that.
This tweet doesn't actually reflect her public actions.

1664099312340.png

If she genuinely believed that people living in poverty are entitled to agency, dignity and joy, she wouldn't be doing her £20 shops and claiming that a family can live off them.

She'd be saying "here is a costed and nutritionally balanced menu for four people for a month, with some treats and the odd bit of junk because sometimes you need a day off from cooking. The income of a family of four on Universal Credit is £X, their disposable income after all bills is £Y, this menu costs £Z, the shortfall is £W, the government needs to step up and increase benefits to £V to allow for things like school shoes, hair cuts, and a week away on holiday once a year." But she doesn't do that. She plays right into the hands of people who say that benefits are too generous and the povs can manage if they just budgeted better, while all the time screaming about how evil the very people she's bolstering are, and I genuinely don't get how she doesn't see what she's doing.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
Isn't the chicken porridge a riff on the Chinese comfort food chicken congee (chicken rice porridge)?

From the 'it's jollof rice all over again' lady, we get a bastardised version of a Chinese classic. Because weirding things up is better than appropriation, apparently.

I bet she just looked online for 'comfort foods around the world' and made het own weird versions.
Am of Chinese descent and can't imagine oat porridge with chicken in it :sick: No, Jack, it's not the same!!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.