Jack Monroe #403 It’s hard to believe anything Jack Monroe says anymore

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got some major catching up to do, been out of the country for work.

IIRC she promised recipe a day for 30 days? I know the answer to this before I’m even asking but did she ever fulfill that promise? 🤣
Tbf, she didn’t say which 30 days nor that they had to be sequential. I believe the next ‘day’ is Thursday October 12th 2023.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
I’ve got some major catching up to do, been out of the country for work.

IIRC she promised recipe a day for 30 days? I know the answer to this before I’m even asking but did she ever fulfill that promise? 🤣
she lasted one day, or two of you include the revisiting of the rinsed hoop travesty.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
[
Honestly, how much food does she leave to go rotten in the crappy bungalow? A person with limited resources either doesn't buy things they may not use or actually uses them if they do.

She's such a wasteful bint. It really makes me mad.
THIS! Someone who is struggling for money is FORENSIC about their food shop. It's the week before pay day and we're struggling. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't buy a single pepper, just a packet of three. So I slightly adjusted my plan for the week so I use up the other two. I also did not buy bananas because some times they don't always all get used, my kid is super fussy and won't eat them if the skin goes black.

Every time I see HH2 I think of the high-speed train.
YES! 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 35
View attachment 1603485

Morning Canal, Morning Jack

(what am I, a Walton?)

Nefarious + 🥕 = you’re OBSESSED with us. Don’t blame you; we’re fab u lous x
I am a gardening Frau. Carrots with blue spots = violet root rot. Not only would I throw the carrots away, if I’d grown them at home I’d throw out the soil and wash out the planter, too. The mould can stay in the soil for years. Some say you can cut it off & eat the remainder of the carrot but I personally wouldn’t eat anything grown in mouldy soil.

If you have a meal plan in place (I don’t do it but the wonderful Atomic Shrimp on YouTube covers budget eating) you eat the shortest dated food first, not let it get black mould / rot. Or blanch it & freeze it.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
Big green books has blocked me on twitter, I've never interacted with them. I have looked about the website and noticed they have a patreon... 'for charity' make of that what you want... A bookshop with a patreon.. weird.
how strange.
I was blocked on Instagram by Edward Enninful, the editor of British Vogue!! A magazine I’ve never read.
There was a post - The Guardian, maybe? A few years ago about him being racially profiled on his way into the offices and as a result the security guard was fired. I said instead of firing the guy and potentially causing his family to lose their home and/or main source of income perhaps Edward could have tried to educate him by paying for some kind of unconscious bias training or something. That was it. Didn’t tag him or anything. Blocked!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
my kid is super fussy and won't eat them if the skin goes black.
They do taste very different as the skin turns black, my preference is for them to still be slightly green.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
So wait….. anyone on twitter suggesting buying oats or rice in bulk = bad evil fascist tories
Suggesting the poors eat banana skin and shave off the rot of vegetables = good please donate for more amazing ideas
🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
Her cooking makes little sense to me. Here is some food, now boil and blend it inedible. Do it, it will save you money!!

Reactions: 23
Her cooking makes little sense to me. Here is some food, now boil and blend it inedible. Do it, it will save you money!!
I've given JM too much brain space this morning (it's deflection for having to go shopping for an outfit for a funeral because I've left it until the last minute, I hate clothes shopping).

I wonder if the fact that all her food is boiled to the consistency of paste is related to her past eating disorder having damaged her teeth? The vomiting from bulimia creates characteristic damage to molars and the general malnutrition from anorexia causes systemic problems. Plus the reason that pregnant women get free dental care is that if you aren't properly nourished during pregnancy the baby starts stripping your reserves from you in preference to you getting the nutrition you need. Gain a baby, lose a tooth, and all that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
Do we know if there are any nefarious canal members brave enough to attend?
Unfortunately (or luckily so that I don't bump into our pixie scammer) I live abroad but if I went I would wear my court outfit. So if at any time you see someone dressed as a sandwich, it is me. 🔺

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I've given JM too much brain space this morning (it's deflection for having to go shopping for an outfit for a funeral because I've left it until the last minute, I hate clothes shopping).

I wonder if the fact that all her food is boiled to the consistency of paste is related to her past eating disorder having damaged her teeth? The vomiting from bulimia creates characteristic damage to molars and the general malnutrition from anorexia causes systemic problems. Plus the reason that pregnant women get free dental care is that if you aren't properly nourished during pregnancy the baby starts stripping your reserves from you in preference to you getting the nutrition you need. Gain a baby, lose a tooth, and all that.
The lack of texture and colour (never mind flavour and seasoning) in her concoctions makes me wonder if she has some food related disorder.

ETA I would love to see what she eats when she eats out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Hey, can we put ED related chat behind spoilers please? (It can be triggering for some members.)

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I have a family member with disordered eating who describes going to a restaurant as 'recreational eating' and says that food is for fuel, and anything else is abusing it. Frequent mentions of bringing back rationing. Big fan of the Daily Express.
There's something very puritanical and fun-spongey about this attitude that reminds me of Jack.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.