Jack Monroe #401 Is there a ‘blocked by DIVA magazine’ club?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you have a local Sikh temple they often have meals. They are very much about feeding the masses - it is often the local Sikh community feeding people at UK style emergencies - flooding, Dover / Lorry queues etc

If you are in the NE of England, feeding families do sterling work. Their emergency boxes are pretty good.

I tend to donate to FareShare as you can do this via Sainsbury's online shopping.

Another option is there is often a box collecting for animals, might be an option as an alternative.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
I had a book in ooh the late 80s / early 90s called Feed Your Family for £5 a day. That was a stretch, even back then. It assumed you were getting milk tokens, for instance.
But I bought it in a bargain shop, it did prove to be very useful at times, and nobody was trying to gain international stardom it
I have that book! It's great

Reactions: 17
What, Simon? Or do you mean that Karl has accepted his rebuke, and still loves Jack? Wow, that's next-level gaslighting.
Probs not in the same vein as the same way Mary Loves Dick ;) (apologies to Derek Acorah ... ) but it appears that once again, now Karl Loves Jack.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Adding my 2 cents about the patreon stuff. I’ve done charitable fundraising via kickstarter before and the first thing anyone or any website will tell you is to avoid physical rewards as much as humanly possible, for reasons Jack is discovering.
Secondly they’ll tell you that these are rewards and not items you’re buying and therefore don’t need to be to the value of your subscription.

the idea of anyone wanting 10-20 postcards in the mail a month is frankly bizarre.

I support one or two people on patreon and you get an extra video, a private supporters only live stream, and on one of them they run a very active discord server which pertains to their area of expertise. All of which would have suited Jack’s community down to the ground im sure. Seems she did absolutely zero research into this.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Exactly, and at that time I think it still went up to 13yo not just 4 or 5 like UC now. UB for someone with no dependents had a penalty period but that's it HB was "automatic" if you were on full bens but completely separate so even if sanctioned for u/e you could still claim it as someone having "nil income" But yes, that would have involved actually completing paperwork not just thrashing about wailing.
My daughter is 15 and income support didn't go up until they were 13. It did do at one point but changed while I was claiming it think I had to start working again when she started school so approx 4 or 5 from memory.

Reactions: 10
Jack's Twitter is an absolute bonfire right now but some deluded squigs are still posting the very worst of her recipes 😁
Screenshot_20220921-213138_Twitter.jpg

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 47
If you have a local Sikh temple they often have meals. They are very much about feeding the masses - it is often the local Sikh community feeding people at UK style emergencies - flooding, Dover / Lorry queues etc

If you are in the NE of England, feeding families do sterling work. Their emergency boxes are pretty good.

I tend to donate to FareShare as you can do this via Sainsbury's online shopping.

Another option is there is often a box collecting for animals, might be an option as an alternative.
Thanks so much, this is perfect x

Reactions: 18
Feeling like the calm before the storm here today, but buoyed by the sadly suspended leftist shitposter still giving it some minge on their alt account.

too early to nominate Jack Monroe isn’t a race for thread title?
Interesting that leftist shitposter got a ban and loads of Jackwits saying he’s racist, but I reported the horrible fuckwit who called a trans woman who expressed very mild dissent towards Jack a “he/she” and Twitter said there was no problem. The Jack simps know that malicious reporting in favour of a blue ticker works. I guess she’s on Twitter’s payroll for her low effort Earth Day nonsense so they’re eager to quell the truth about her.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 43
Jack's Twitter is an absolute bonfire right now but some deluded squigs are still posting the very worst of her recipes 😁
View attachment 1595651
Her whole model is ‘foodbank gave you a tin of peaches and some chickpeas? Cool. Combine them.
She could’ve made a lovely pilaf and a peach cobbler or just had peaches and cream/ice-cream but no. She makes this abomination. The textures must be revolting-the graininess of the unmarinaded chickpea really brings out the slippery sliminess of the tinned peach. Bork.

• Sick
Reactions: 52

I’ve been BUSY so am not really keeping up and am grateful for a Jack respite day but just hopping on to say I have a SO to FareShare every month. It always looks weird on my bank statement and I occasionally have to google it to remember what it is 🙃
I second the Sikh Gurdwara recommendation too. I visited for a work thing years ago and was fed eggy bread and chai. Absolutely delicious!

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Chocolate powder and coconut oil IIRC [yuck]

It's like that five-ingredient sticky toffee prune pudding, where she said the topping could be tinned caramelized milk *or* condensed milk diluted with a bit of water. Condensed milk diluted with water is just runny condensed milk. It's not going to taste like caramelized milk at all. If you threw in a bit of Demerara sugar the taste would be a closer, but I guess that bit of cookery knowledge was a bit too advanced for JM....

And following the 'recipe' would give you something containing around 260g (or over half a bag) of sugar before you add in the carb count from the flour. So hardly a 'lighter version', especially as the fat in the condensed caramel shite wasn't that much different from the equivalent in butter, either. More claiming that sugar isn't sugar for the diabetics out there...

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
I second the Sikh Gurdwara recommendation too. I visited for a work thing years ago and was fed eggy bread and chai. Absolutely delicious!
Sikh cooks know better than to smother eggy bread in chilies, pickled radish, boiled-to-death spinach, and whatever else was on that mess that JM served to her publishing "team".....

• Haha
Reactions: 42
This pic will always make me think about when she was announced as a resident columnist for the ill fated breakdown magazine. I know y'all will be shocked and astounded at what I'm about to say but.......

not one single sentence ever materialised for that particular role and it was never mentioned again
...and after she'd been banging on about being able to bash out a column in half an hour 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 18
She knew what she was doing though with the patreon rewards that she knew she couldn't fulfil. Reel people in and then the actual work started. The deflection, working 150 hour weeks 🙄on telly and radio having a rant now and again. Making terrible food for people who would never cook it but the types who nod and smile, Interviews in magazines etc. All lucrative and easy work without doing anything too taxing.
I don't think they expected postcards and that because it might take her away from THE IMPORTANT STUFF . It's only now that people are braver that the rewards are even brought up. I can see why but still. A fool and his money and all that, why didn't they stop the money ? I can't figure it out.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I always think it’s worse than this, she’s giving money saving tips to the public and has become the go-to voice on beating poverty, but didn’t pay her taxes and has closed her company - AND has provided no transparency with any fundraising activities. How can she give advice around money to anyone????
This just illustrates how tit the mainstream media is. The most basic due diligence isn’t done. Disgraceful

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Even Vlad is trying to help Jack with all the patreon shithouse onion drawings owed...

Screenshot_20220921-211329_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 28
It's only now that people are braver that the rewards are even brought up. I can see why but still. A fool and his money and all that, why didn't they stop the money ? I can't figure it out.
Do you mean, why didn't Patreon stop the money going to Jack, or why didn't the squigs stop paying as soon as they figured out it was a scam? From the discussion on Twitter it sounds like Patreon doesn't care if a provider isn't providing what they promised, as long as the payments are still coming in and Patreon is still getting its cut. For some of the squigs it sounds like their credit card company has time limits on when they can dispute a payment, and that time limit has passed. I guess they can cut off payment now, but they don't have any recourse to get the money they already paid and got nothing in return.

ETA: also some squigs were willing to hang in there while she (allegedly) sorted out whatever problems she was experiencing with getting the rewards out.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

It's like that five-ingredient sticky toffee prune pudding, where she said the topping could be tinned caramelized milk *or* condensed milk diluted with a bit of water. Condensed milk diluted with water is just runny condensed milk. It's not going to taste like caramelized milk at all. If you threw in a bit of Demerara sugar the taste would be a closer, but I guess that bit of cookery knowledge was a bit too advanced for JM....
To be fair, any cookery knowledge is too advanced for Thumbelina Peapod

• Haha
Reactions: 22
This just illustrates how tit the mainstream media is. The most basic due diligence isn’t done. Disgraceful
Totally this. As long as the person is available for an interview and has some credentials that sound semi-legitimate, and as long as the person can provide nice neat soundbites, they're on.

Reactions: 21

I was thinking this exact thing! They are not the same thing, in terms of their physical properties or flavour profile. Jack really doesn't understand how food *works*. Her recipes are infuriating if you know anything about cooking, food chemistry, flavours, cooking techniques, texture etc etc etc etc as they could be so much better

Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.