Jack Monroe #401 Is there a ‘blocked by DIVA magazine’ club?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exactly, and at that time I think it still went up to 13yo not just 4 or 5 like UC now. UB for someone with no dependents had a penalty period but that's it HB was "automatic" if you were on full bens but completely separate so even if sanctioned for u/e you could still claim it as someone having "nil income" But yes, that would have involved actually completing paperwork not just thrashing about wailing.
One of many things that annoys me about The Poverty is that she acts like a medieval peasant whose crops have failed and sits there blaming a vengeful God or a local scapegoat. She's never made any effort to educate herself so she can pass of useful information. It would be fine to relay her tale of woe but explain that because she's from a well off background and had never claimed before she didn't know she could get help with her claims and that she'd advise anyone experiencing similar now to seek free professional support. It's presented as if it's just something you need to accept when it isn't always the case. Even with the old JSA if you could show good cause for resigning sanctions wouldn't apply and I often find DWP staff are very well informed about the benefit the deal with but less so with other benefits so sometimes taking the first answer you get isn't the right thing to do and that's before you get to genuine misunderstanding and poor communication on one or both sides.

It's just bloody tragic watching a young person waste all that time and energy revelling in bleeping misery and victimhood all the time. One day, if she's lucky she'll be old and have aches and pains and maybe even a chronic illness and will look back and wonder why she wasted her youth fixating on misery and squandering what could have been a nice lowkey career- not famous enough to be a celeb but well known enough to get regular work and develop a modest talent.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 96
So much good food is ‘poverty food’ at heart isn’t it? Because most of the world was or is dirt poor but people are creative and good food can be beautifully simple. But no. Lazy Jack puts prunes in a sticky toffee pudding and wants applause instead of the very long stint on the naughty step she deserves.
I wish I could like this twice! Some of the most wonderful dishes have such humble origins. And you can still make really lovely things with tins and store cupboard ingredients without serving up a pile of slop. I don't think Jack was ever really that into food, and she just exploited a niche that she fell into quite by accident. I know she divides the canal but listen to how Nigella describes flavour - I think she once described oregano as 'lemony' which my basic palate would never pick up - compared to Jack's interchangeable herbs and 'just bung it in a curry'. Really makes you think!

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Her company had never filed accounts but I know that doesn't always mean she hadn't paid taxes. I dunno.

The buying laptops for the team was grade a Jack bullshit a) she didn't have a "team" b) surely Caroline already had access to a laptop at Jack's house? c) as you've said if she was furloughed no need to work so no need for laptops.

If she'd tried to post something like that today she'd be called out by everyone and their content dog.
It’s actually less damaging for Jack to admit she told a lie in this instance than it would be for her to say all of this was the truth.

Reactions: 34
Yeah squig, Jack will be happy to be interviewed and impart her experiences about teachers who say you’re only good for flipping burgers and how years later you can have the last laugh (and then have it again seven years after that).

If you’re lucky, she’ll also tell you about the day someone have told her she should have kept her legs closed when she was doing quadratic equations in the green room at the BBC, or calculating the circumference of a circle at Guardian HQ or some tit.
Or the time she opened her compass too wide in maths and the teacher roared "SHUT YOUR COMPASS bleep" in front of the whole class, then made her stand in the bin for the rest of the lesson and allowed the top mean girl to threaten to run her over in lilac Mercedes for being a rotten pov.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
I'm kidding. It's an old joke about a password protected Del Monte recipe which was on Jack's website in 2020. A frau worked out the password... which was delmonte.
I'd forgotten about that bit of hilarity (let's face it, Jack provides so much batshittery that something like this is barely even a footnote).

BRB, off to try "patreon" as her Patreon password to find out just how much she's raking in there (joking, before she starts bellowing TROLLS ARE HACKING ME all over Twitter).

• Haha
Reactions: 45
I don't think I want to raise money for TT ever again. The food bank round the corner from me is run by a church group, and during winter/lockdown I saw them trudging through the snow with carrier bags to deliver to their clients.
Ive said it before on the threads, but I live in the town with 7/10 of the most deprived areas in the country and I think it entirely sums up TT that the nearest food bank they run to here is in the highly affluent retirement area a few miles away.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 54
Let’s just say I know you won’t be the only one. The TT have ample employees, they should keep a better eye on the stuff that’s done in their name, rather than looking to be completely cavalier about it.

Largely from their association with Jack, but also because they clearly don’t give too much of a duck what’s done in their name, I would never, ever donate to them. That and I think their entire service setup (as far as users having to be referred and all the rest of it) and their monopoly as some sort of ‘official voice of UK Foodbanks’ is bullshit too. In short, the TT can do one.
I'm with you! I was so disappointed to discover that our local foodbank is run by TT - I'm so torn now, wanting to help but not wanting them (TT) to have my money. THIS IS WHAT YOU'VE DONE, JACK MONROE! People are losing out on food donations because of you! :mad: I have to admit I've given my money to Depher recently, until I can find someone more local to donate to. :( Will still pop some tins/packets into the basket in-store but they won't be getting my cash.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
I don't know about anyone else, but to me this doesn't seem like something Jack would do of her own volition. I wonder who has suggested/advised this move.
Did people say she still had reference to the TT there or at least in ads for it? After their line in the sand tweet yesterday and that they’ve been tagged in tweets re:ASA, I wonder if they’ve contacted Teemill and asked for it to be removed. Jack might not have done it personally.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
Jack vanishing for a few days after a big chaos is nothing new. We have been here multiple times before...
I think she is doing it so if and when people carry on talking about her whilst she is not active she can say, see they are stil talking about me even when i am not there. See diva pdf.

The problem is no one is being unkind, they are only asking questions.

Reactions: 24
You can tell she put exactly no thought into how much she was promising.

I used to support a youtuber on Patreon, but the way his was set up there was only one tier - $5 - and you were only charged if he actually put out bonus content that month. There were months where he was very honest that testing and writing up a new recipe just wasn't going to happen on top of everything else, and that was fine, because he didn't take any money. Patreon really should encourage that as a model, imo, instead of just doing automatic withdrawals every month no matter what you actually get.
I’ve said this before, but for context: Dawn O’Porter has produced a patreon community where her subscribers are engaged with her. She’s made 569 posts, she encourages a community vibe where people share good tips on things like makeup, wedding dresses, books etc.
for this she charges between £4-6 a month. That’s bottom tier and top tier.
then there’s Jack charging £44 for absolutely nothing.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
Yeah squig, Jack will be happy to be interviewed and impart her experiences about teachers who say you’re only good for flipping burgers and how years later you can have the last laugh (and then have it again seven years after that).

If you’re lucky, she’ll also tell you about the day someone have told her she should have kept her legs closed when she was doing quadratic equations in the green room at the BBC, or calculating the circumference of a circle at Guardian HQ or some tit.
The score off the high-patreons equals the sum of the scores off the other two sites

(Edited for auto-spell!)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
It's not teemill or delmonte 🤣 think it's numbers cause it says access code, not password
it won’t be SB’s birthday, she’d never remember it

I’m wondering if she’s been notified of legal action by one or more squigs. I know one was talking about a county court claim.

That’d ram a twig up her arse and give her pause for thought.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Sorry to be thick, but I'm confused by the updates, does this mean Jack has altered her teeemill by setting it to private or she hasn't?

Reactions: 10
I think this is shaping up very well towards a youtube video. There’s loads of them out there ‘the downfall of’ or ‘whatever happened to’ and usually it’s a creator who got greedy and started to lie / cheat their way to easy money.
There’s also the redemption themed ‘speaking my truth’ videos :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.