Jack Monroe #400 The utter narcissism of this obscure cook

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
the more I think about it, the more I suspect that the reason JM won’t be transparent about all this could be that the truth would reveal her not as a thief but a fantasist who had to dig into her own pockets to back up what she wildly claimed on social media.
the whole thing gets more and more fascinating, and actually really worrying. I can’t help but empathise to some extent because it just feels like her entire life seems to be damage limitation
This. I think she maybe did believe she’d sold enough/would sell enough to make the £10k she promised but then the TT distanced themselves and she hadn’t made it and she was stuck.

Anyone else would have said “Sorry I got overexcited/I made a mistake, here is how much I made with X screenshots of proof and I’m donating that, here’s that proof” but Jack seems incapable of ever admitting she makes a mistake and dug herself a much deeper £10k hole she couldn’t get out of.

So many of her mistakes end up like this and it is sad in a way, she seems completely incapable of critically thinking about how people will see things and launching herself into worse situations.

We ninnies would have eyerolled over the Teemill exaggeration but I don’t think regular bird app would have been on her anything like they are now if she’d owned up she made a mistake in the beginning, and she wouldn’t have had to shell out presumably £10k of her own (Patreon) money so she might have been able to refund Patreon people and quieten them that way.

• Heart
Reactions: 65
I would be interested to know if the Trussell Trust received abuse following their involvement, as that is the reason Jack is giving for not disclosing the names of the independent food banks who are benefiting?

Surely if she doesn't want to disclose the names of the food banks then she could anonymity them and show evidence of donations?
Also, this is utter bollocks. Since when have legitimate charities received abuse for receiving donations? Has this even ever, ever been recorded as happening? I could do some research but I can’t be bothered honestly.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
Soz think Big Dave Hadjicostas is absolute trash like his scumbag fraud perpetuating scammer daughter as he’s allowed her to steal work from actual working class women & operate a scam of a Patreon. Appreciate she’s an adult but if you can have her round for Sunday dinner then you can ask that she doesn’t cosplay as a working class poor to solicit tips and subscription donations & steal paid work off WC women in the media.

Sorry but as an upwardly mobile WC -> first gen to uni to MC professional pipeline I’ve busted a bleeping gut to get here and she makes an absolute mockery of us, she’s utter trash and the family can get in the bin with her.
I tend to agree tbh.
Her parents may not be helping her scam people, but they're seemingly doing nothing to stop her either.

She writes cook books and budget tips. Who I a family unit is usually the shopper and cook? The woman. She's effectively harming women when women have enough people out to get them and her parents a complicit in their silence.

Reactions: 43
I still boggle at the amount originally made from her merch.
Can't remember how much they were individually but that means a truckload of people left with clothes they're to embarrassed to wear
Trussell trust have confirmed that they received over £11,000.
Sweaters are priced at £42, t-shirts at £24 and tote bags at £16. I know TT won't have received the full price from any item, but I would be genuinely interested in the breakdown, because to me the £11K implies a significant volume of sales (in the high thousands) and I've never seen a single one of my right-on leftie mates with a single item from this range, or even say that they've bought one.

• Wow
Reactions: 56
This is my theory too. I don't think she intended to keep the cash, but I think she was overwhelmed with people asking for transparency. If you look at the screenshots with the two random £2.5k batches...I think that was her transferring money into her PayPal, perhaps in line with a daily transfer limit on her bank.
She only actually donated after she found out a journalist was sniffing around and then there was a big song and dance about "paperwork" and "legalities" of donating so much and then we had screenshots.

She would've kept the money if it hadn't been for the journalist

• Wow
Reactions: 72
I would be interested to know if the Trussell Trust received abuse following their involvement, as that is the reason Jack is giving for not disclosing the names of the independent food banks who are benefiting?

Surely if she doesn't want to disclose the names of the food banks then she could anonymity them and show evidence of donations?
They didn't receive abuse that I'm aware of. I wrote them a very polite email which praised Jack's ability as a fundraiser and congratulating them on the incredible sum raised but raising concern about some of the slogans used. I received a very nice, polite email in response from TT explaining that they hadn't worked with Jack on the campaign. I'm aware other Frauen contacted TT with similar concerns. If you check the February threads you can see comments regarding this.

It may be that Jack regards drawing attention to a blatant lie she told on social media as abuse but it really isn't. In fairness to Jack, if I ended up eleven grand out of pocket because of a fib other people noticed I might be tempted to start some sort of smear campaign but I like to think I'd calm down and accept it was a mess of my own making.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
Soz think Big Dave Hadjicostas is absolute trash like his scumbag fraud perpetuating scammer daughter as he’s allowed her to steal work from actual working class women & operate a scam of a Patreon. Appreciate she’s an adult but if you can have her round for Sunday dinner then you can ask that she doesn’t cosplay as a working class poor to solicit tips and subscription donations & steal paid work off WC women in the media.

Sorry but as an upwardly mobile WC -> first gen to uni to MC professional pipeline I’ve busted a bleeping gut to get here and she makes an absolute mockery of us, she’s utter trash and the family can get in the bin with her.
Babes, same.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
"Comic" kitchen gave me such cringe/rage. I shall be the judge of whether it is comic or not! (It's not)

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I still boggle at the amount originally made from her merch.
Can't remember how much they were individually but that means a truckload of people left with clothes they're to embarrassed to wear
It’s been speculated on here that she made nothing close to ten grand on the merch and she used her own money to make up the difference as it was the only way she could keep the lie going. Of course no one can prove this, but I lean towards this being the truth.

Reactions: 48
As someone who used to work for a small charity our protocol was to ask the donor if they were happy to have it made public (some weren't but in this case she has stated publicly that she is fundraising, just not how much) and if they were to shout it from the rooftops how grateful we were. I can't believe that every single charity who has benefitted has said they don't want publicity.
And to be fair, that’s not the point here. A private donor can stay private but someone publically fundraising is legally obliged to tell the people they’re fleecing asking for cash who it is getting the money. She’s broken the law.

Editing to add her asking for £11.99 to “donate” a book and then not being 100% transparent about how many have been bought & donated is also 100% illegal.

She’s a thief and people can’t see it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
It’s been speculated on here that she made nothing close to ten grand on the merch and she used her own money to make up the difference as it was the only way she could keep the lie going. Of course no one can prove this, but I lean towards this being the truth.
Yeah I think I do too.
I have seen a handful of people wearing them but only in tweet screenshots shared on here.
She must be minted to have brought up that figure , so TT aren't really being disingenuous if indeed she did make up the sum herself.
Oh what a confusing, tangled and expensive web you've woven yourself jack monroe

• Haha
Reactions: 34
We ninnies would have eyerolled over the Teemill exaggeration but I don’t think regular bird app would have been on her anything like they are now if she’d owned up she made a mistake in the beginning, and she wouldn’t have had to shell out presumably £10k of her own (Patreon) money so she might have been able to refund Patreon people and quieten them that way.
She's managed to set up a Ponzi scheme. She's using inflows from gullible squigs to cover for her own wildly over-inflated promises of performance. Magnificent effort, that woman. I tip my hat.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Wasn’t it also the case that Jack, in the midst of the bluster, didn’t acknowledge that proceeds and profits were different?
I’m guessing that within the mess of the £10k proposed, even if the actual amount was close to the total, she hadn’t factored in other costs therefore had to top up.
Would also help explain why the other day she spat at someone about raising thousands for the TT herself; still smarts having to hand over your own (well I say your own we all know it comes from the paypigs) to the charity…

• Haha
Reactions: 51
Can anyone recall when the Teemill started exactly?

Because. Bear with me because maths ain't my strong suit.

Say Teemil started in November 1st 2021
They got 11k jack sold in t-shirts for 4 months.
It's now September
That's February, march, April, may, June, July, August, September. - 8months worth at the above rate would be almost 30k.

Started February, First 2 days worth 11k
5.5k per day.
8 months it's still running or 240 days for ease of calculation.
240 x 5.5k = £1320000 (maybe)

So if she's honest and truthful, there's £132k knocking about somewhere.
I think this is highly unlikely. She’s never pushed it again, never promoted it, never reminded people that there is still merchandise for sale. So whilst this ~could~ be the case I think it’s way off the mark.

Reactions: 31
Looking at the teemill site and the profit you make on an item, using men’s £40 hoodie as an example, means Jack would have had to sell almost 1850 of these to get the £11k.
We can assume the cheaper items might have sold better so Jack would have had to have sold more.
AFCE019E-1730-43BF-85D9-DF77371E0989.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 33
I thought it was odd that she donated over £11,000 rather than the first £10,000 raised, which is what she said she'd donate. I can't work out any reason for that.

Reactions: 44
TBF if she admitted that she lied about the figure raised and was using subsequent donations to top up what she contributed from her own pocket (and also her mega tax bill) she could recover from it.

Like not totally, she’d obviously lose a lot of followers and work. But if she underwent a very public rehabilitation for compulsive lying she could ultimately still have something approaching a career and a lot of people would forgive her. God knows why because she’s such a charmless git, but they would.

She won’t do this, of course. It’d be a genuinely harrowing experience to have to look into yourself that deeply and have the abyss gaze back. It’d be brave though, even I would grudgingly respect her for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I've come to the conclusion that Jack is just a mess.

Happy 400th thread ninnies. Go well.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
I thought it was odd that she donated over £11,000 rather than the first £10,000 raised, which is what she said she'd donate. I can't work out any reason for that.
She was too furious to make it the right amount I reckon or just wanted a duck you here’s MORE even though you don’t want it you ungrateful gits. I think the amount just over 6k is what she actually raised. There isn’t any more money (though as per rialto discussion the other day, PPC Google ads are still running…)

Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.